Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBradford View Post
    Disagree away; I hadn't realized that in addition to being a knowledgeable poster and martial-artist, you were a mind-reading wizard who could determine my intent for me. Delightful.

Sarcasm aside, I'm sure years in the bullshido trenches--years as a moderator of anything on the internets--can leave one a bit cynical. So, fine. I thought it would be an interesting thing to talk about, and perhaps useful. I went out of the way to leave out anything self-aggrandizing...but it's the internet. Can't please everyone.
    Oh no disagreement hurts your feelings? I'll pretend there is no intent mentioned in your post of ot makes your sarcasm work better. This is some serious baggage, please go get yourself some help.

I disagree with the whole we are geared up, someone got hurt, and then equating it to crowing. Things happen. Sparring is for learning, not backing off, hamstringing yourself because you are bigger, and being skittish.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 9/21/2012 6:42pm at .

Style
    Ku'i Lima Kenpo-Jujitsu,
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Oh no disagreement hurts your feelings? This is some serious baggage, please go get yourself some help.
    :-) Ok, IIF. I'll do that.

Style
    Ku'i Lima Kenpo-Jujitsu,
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I injured a (smaller) opponent in a stickfight with a vertical shot to the right shoulder when he opened up, but he kept going and went on to beat me in undebatable fashion. I'm friends with him on Facebook, so I came to learn he was injured later.

A few months down the line, he mentioned his PT/recovery routine and parameters, and I felt like crap that I was the one who caused it. A few months after that, he posted a pic of how he sleeps, with this caption: "I realize that this looks like some childs 'pillow fort', but it is my half of the bed. Because of my shoulder, I've had to sleep sitting up for over the past year. There is quite a skill to this...and complete exhaustion is necessary. Which is why I'm down for an hour and back up for 3, then back down for 3 hours. So if I'm grumpy to you, you will now know why :)"

God, I felt awful after that. He just posted that on Wednesday, almost a whole year after the fight. I explained again that I'm really sorry, and he said this: "I'm touched by your care and kindness. But you shouldn't feel bad, we are both adults and know what we were getting ourselves into. It was a good fight and I harbor no blame. I am fortunate enough to have a supportive family that allows for my 'craziness' and the injuries that come along with it."

I think that's the right attitude to bring to training injuries. One of you may have done the technique that did the damage, but it takes 2 to tango and if there's no ill will you should let it go.

That incident made me think of "tough guys" here like RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY who boast about hundreds of street fights where they play for keeps and cripple their opponents. That would be quite a mental burden to bare, if any of those stories were actually true.
    Goodness, the guilt must have been ridic! Your training partner seems like a gent, and what he said definitely makes sense. It's martial art and not patty-cake....still, a year down? I'd be guilt-ridden regardless, haha.

Style
    Ku'i Lima Kenpo-Jujitsu,
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh no disagreement hurts your feelings? I'll pretend there is no intent mentioned in your post of ot makes your sarcasm work better. This is some serious baggage, please go get yourself some help.

I disagree with the whole we are geared up, someone got hurt, and then equating it to crowing. Things happen. Sparring is for learning, not backing off, hamstringing yourself because you are bigger, and being skittish.
    That was a big edit; I think care is necessary, and that when sparring people smaller than you even more care should be used. I agree that sparring is for learning, but think there is some space between being careful and being "skittish" and backing off. You're right about things happening.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was a big edit;
    Well, the last time I left a simple sentence this is what I got:

Disagree away; I hadn't realized that in addition to being a knowledgeable poster and martial-artist, you were a mind-reading wizard who could determine my intent for me. Delightful.

Sarcasm aside, I'm sure years in the bullshido trenches--years as a moderator of anything on the internets--can leave one a bit cynical. So, fine. I thought it would be an interesting thing to talk about, and perhaps useful. I went out of the way to leave out anything self-aggrandizing...but it's the internet. Can't please everyone.
    So, I figured I better add an explanation and save you an aneurism.
    I think care is necessary, and that when sparring people smaller than you even more care should be used.
    The care is equal for everyone depending on their level. If we are near equal time or skill, size doesn't matter. The bigger person shouldn't be using extra care. To me, that is like saying you should go lighter on a partner because she is a woman.

Other than that and we pretty much agree.

Style
    Ku'i Lima Kenpo-Jujitsu,
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the last time I left a simple sentence this is what I got:

So, I figured I better add an explanation and save you an aneurism.
    The care is equal for everyone depending on their level. If we are near equal time or skill size doesn't matter. The bigger person shouldn't be using extra care. To me, that is like saying you should go lighter on a partner because they are a woman.
    Right on. If we are near equal skill--in my opinion, anyway-- size still Does matter. We wouldn't need weight classes if that weren't the case. It makes a difference a number of ways. During randori throws are much easier to get off on a lighter person, and strength makes a difference on the ground as well...sweeps and escapes are easier on smaller people of equal or lower skill. In my experience.
    I think you're right on about us all using care for each other regardless of size; I've never been anything but the large guy, and haven't taken a step back to see the broader picture there. Thank you.

Style
    xingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right on. If we are near equal skill--in my opinion, anyway-- size still Does matter. We wouldn't need weight classes if that weren't the case. It makes a difference a number of ways. During randori throws are much easier to get off on a lighter person, and strength makes a difference on the ground as well...sweeps and escapes are easier on smaller people of equal or lower skill. In my experience.
    We will definitely disagree on this point. We are talking training and learning. A small person needs to know how to spar and train all sizes. I have NEVER trained based on size or gender.

Now you just cherry picked my comment. I said "size doesn't matter" in context to care and going easier on your partners.

You took it into an entire different context. Of course size, strength and power are important. They all give you advantages, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to equalize or hinder training.

Style
    Ku'i Lima Kenpo-Jujitsu,
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We will definitely disagree on this point. We are talking training and learning. A small person needs to know how to spar and train all sizes. I have NEVER trained based on size or gender.

Now you just cherry picked my comment. I said "size doesn't matter" in context to care and going easier on your partners.

You took it into an entire different context. Of course size, strength and power are important. They all give you advantages, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to equalize or hinder training.
    Fair enough; I see where you're coming from.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I certainly agree with IIF. I also tend to try and not use my superior strength against weaker opponents. Not because of any sense of nobleness or trying to do them a favor or any of the jazz. I do it because it gives me a chance to really focus on technique,timing and getting proper leverage.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goodness, the guilt must have been ridic! Your training partner seems like a gent, and what he said definitely makes sense. It's martial art and not patty-cake....still, a year down? I'd be guilt-ridden regardless, haha.
    He's not really my normal training partner, I just see him once or twice a year for Dog Bros stuff. He's also not down by any means- this guy stickfights, trains MMA, shoots guns, hikes with his family etc. In fact, the yearly DBMA open gathering was yesterday, and he fought knife, stick, double stick, stick and knife, and cane, and one of his opponents was nearly 300lbs! So he puts himself in these David vs Goliath situations and is okay with the consequences. He had no problems swinging a cane around at great speeds like a big tonfa, so his recovery seems to be going pretty well.

Page 2 of 2 First 12