Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 4:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Personal Training Plan

Hey guys, just wanted an opinion on this strength and conditioning program I'm starting to see if I'm over training or if I'm not doing enough etc.

My current goals are to become much stronger, to put on more lean muscle mass and not put on any body fat, I don't mind if i get a lot bigger or just a tad as long as it benefits me to become better at MMA.

I'm currently 17 years old. 166cm tall and I weigh 61Kg
    Resting heart rate of 70 and i believe my BMR is 1616 (i think so anyway. I used an on-line calculator for that). With 10.7% Body Fat.

So here it is:
    Warm up: 5 mins of jogging at about 10kph for all workouts.

Monday - (all of these are with as much weight as I can manage with good form)
    1. Back squat 3 sets 10-12 reps
    2. Chest press 3 sets 8-10 reps
    3. Seated row 3 sets 8-10 reps
    4. Shoulder press (standing) 3 sets 8-10 reps
    5. Oblique Twists 3 sets all to failure
    6. Sit Ups 3 Sets to failure
    7. Crunches 3 sets to failure
    Rest between sets - 1 minute

Cardio work- non impact (rowing machine or bike) trying to cover 2 miles in 10-12 minutes.
    5 minute cool down + stretch

Wednesday - MMA training. Then afterwords i do body weight circuits. For this i set the timer to 5 minutes and try and do as many sets as I can. 10 Reps for all
    1. Push Ups.
    2. Pull Ups.
    3. Dips.
    4. Squats.
    5. Leg Raises
    6. Superman's
    Rest - 1 minute

Friday - Explosive circuit. Then MMA training afterwords.
    1. Jump Squats with knee tuck. High as possible. Bodyweight.
    2. Split lunge jump. High as possible. Bodyweight.
    3. Press Up with a clap.
    4. Sit Up with a medicine ball throw. (6kg)
    5. Oblique twists with medicine ball. (6kg)
    1 minute between circuits.

Tuesday & Thursday- Cardio work with HIIT training. A 30 minute jog going at a speed of 10kph then on the 5th minute of every 5 minutes I sprint as fast as possible. Then a 3 minute cool down and stretch.

Saturday - 1 Hour and a half of Yoga to help with flexibility.

Sunday - Day of rest.

Currently with my diet I'm 100% natural so no supplements. However I'm pondering on protein shakes as I am not sure if my body is getting all the protein it needs.
    I usually have 5 meals a day consisting of 20% protein 60% carbs and 20% Fat. That's an estimated guess though. I tend not to measure it down to the letter. I just go by sorting it on the plate.

On a side note: Because it isnt a proper gym and only a hired hall MMA training is only on Wednesdays for 1 hour (15 minutes of that is getting the mats out :( and Fridays for an hour and a half, although our coach generally pushes his luck and makes it go on for 2 hours. Just a quick question. Should i attend other martial arts classes to help me improve on the Tuesdays and Thursdays?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Posted On:
    11/15/2012 4:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it's okay then? :/

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/15/2012 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well how has it been going?

as you get stronger id recommend lowering the reps you are doing with the weight training and adding more weight. how much experience do you have with weight training?

also, you are only doing weights once a week. you may want to up that to 2-3 times if you want t see some decent results from your work. if you have only just started weight training, drop the plyometric stuff, its of no use to you yet.

for the core stuff, do you feel that doing crunches to failure is going to help you that much? why do those to failure while doing other muscle groups for set amount of reps?

you were also not very clear with your goals. do you want to be a better fighter or do you want to be strong? if the former, i would recommend taking up some other training, maybe some boxing/jits/wrestling/judo etc. 2x a week of mma is not a huge amount.

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 5:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've started going to the gym for it instead of my house because i lack the equipment, but it feels a lot less rewarding. I prefer working out at home. I'd say i have about 6-8 months experience with weight lifting, it's only been this past month that ive been doing all this crazy **** since i started MMA i wanted my training to be more specific to helping me in the cage.

I found the 5 minute circuits to be very beneficial to getting used to going for a set time, just like i found the running useful. Why is plyometric stuff no good to me? Do i need to have the muscle first before I can develop explosive power?

The core stuff I do till failure because I don't use any weights with them.

About my goals. I have several, i want to be a better fighter, so i was thinking of going to the muay thai club at my university, its just that my university commitments take priority such as assignments and report's etc. but i also want to become stronger and put on more muscle mass as I'm quite skinney.

Thanks again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 5:39pm

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SyrValker View Post
    Why is plyometric stuff no good to me? Do i need to have the muscle first before I can develop explosive power?
    Build up strength first then explosiveness as you risk injuries if you do plyometrics prior to building strength

Quote Originally Posted by SyrValker
    The core stuff I do till failure because I don't use any weights with them.
    Core is just like other muscle you need to train it for strength or strength endurance, base your exercises & reps on your goals in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by SyrValker
    About my goals. I have several, i want to be a better fighter, so i was thinking of going to the muay thai club at my university, its just that my university commitments take priority such as assignments and report's etc. but i also want to become stronger and put on more muscle mass as I'm quite skinney
    Prioritize & focus on what's your priority if it's fighting you need more fighting practice initially 2-4 hrs a week then increase, if it's bodybuilding ask a bodybuilding coach.