Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 3:55pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Former K-1 HW Champ Kyotaro Shocks Boxing World, Defeats Chauncey Welliver

This is shocking for three reasons.

Firstly, despite Japan being one of the global hubs of boxing, there's only six Japanese heavyweights.

Secondly, this was Kyotaro's fifth professional fight, and only his first 10 rounder.

Thirdly, this is the best showing from an elite kickboxer ever since Troy Dorsey. Yes, Vitali Klitschko, Marcito Gesta, and Pongsaklek Wonjongkam are all former kickboxers, but they were never as recognized as Kyotaro.

Kyotaro is a fellow I'm keeping my eye on. He's definitely as noteworthy a heavyweight prospect now as Joe Hanks and Deontay Wilder.

Article copy and pasted from here:

Unbeaten Japanese heavyweight prospect Kyotaro Fujimoto (5-0, 3 KOs), 225.75, surprisingly defeated WBC#15 Chauncy Welliver (53-7-5 20 KOs), 250.25, US, by a unanimous decision (98-94, 98-93 and 99-91) over ten rounds on Wednesday in Tokyo, Japan. Kyotaro, 26, used to fight in K-1 martial arts bouts, using his thick legs, and entered the international style field just last year. Welliver, a taller southpaw than the six-foot Japanese, looked heavy around the waist, but dominated the opening session with solid lead rights. Fujimoto, however, began to aim at the loose breadbasket and utilized his faster footwork from the second round on. Since Kyotaro’s combinations were quick but light, Welliver had him land pit-a-pat punches freely to land his big right shots, which often missed the Japanese target. Welliver once caught Kyotaro in round nine, when he connected with southpaw right uppercuts to the aggressor and almost buckled the Japanese’ knees. Utilizing his hit-and-run strategy, Kyotaro was in command in the last session as he kept peppering the visibly fading prefight favorite and quickly moved away. Welliver might have taken him lightly, but Kyotaro fought much better than we had expected—in his first ten-rounder.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 4:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was Kyotaro ever an elite kickboxer? Don't get me wrong, very high level no doubt. But really at the top?

What made him famous was his upset victory against Peter Aerts (who cut weight for the first time at such a late age). He deserves all the credit for it. But that has been his biggest achievement since.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 5:15pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was the K-1 HW champion, having won it in a 4 man tournament (beating Manhoef and Saki). He also defended it once against Aerts.

Yes, I know he never participated in the GP tournament, but he did have the HW belt.

I agree he did lose to Karaev and Spong in fights where his title was not on the line afterwards.

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 8:36pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LEAVE JLB ALONE!!!

Cool story, reminds me of the days of K-1 and the first years of MAX when I watched.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido