Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 3:16pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Although possible, that's too much weight to lose in a healthy manner in two months though, IMO.
    3 pounds a week is doable. Been there, done that. Not even that hard if you have some discipline and aren't a big puss.
    Mixed messages there. Which is it, unhealthy at 3 lbs/week or you're a big puss for not doing 3 lbs/week?

OP - starting from 250+ is definitely a little easier for the big cut. The lighter you get the tougher it gets because your BMR (the calories you require just loafing) drops along with your weight, requiring you to either eat less or work out more to maintain the loss. But congratulations on your success so far!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Mixed messages there. Which is it, unhealthy at 3 lbs/week or you're a big puss for not doing 3 lbs/week?
    He was saying 30 lbs in 3 months is doable, but 2 months might be unhealthy.

OP - starting from 250+ is definitely a little easier for the big cut. The lighter you get the tougher it gets because your BMR (the calories you require just loafing) drops along with your weight, requiring you to either eat less or work out more to maintain the loss. But congratulations on your success so far!
    Yeah, I was worried about plateauing which is why I was wondering about eating before bed. I want every advantage I can get. And thanks!
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Some pretty straightforward stuff here:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/losing-we...ng-6-pack-abs/
    Wow, there is a lot of good info here. Cleared up a couple of misconceptions I had as well.

One thing it leaves me wondering though is why is it unhealthy to lose more than 2 lbs a week?
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 4:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Wow, there is a lot of good info here. Cleared up a couple of misconceptions I had as well.

One thing it leaves me wondering though is why is it unhealthy to lose more than 2 lbs a week?
    I wouldn't say that's written in stone, but more of a rule of thumb.
    The risks of losing weight too rapidly include gallstones and malnutrition among other things.
    Your body doesn't like running on a caloric deficit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 6:35pm

Style: (former) Kokondo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm trying to drop a good deal of weight over the next 2 or 3 months so I can fight at a comfortable weight around December. Before I had any kind of time frame to work with I was already not eating after 7 pm as a general rule. Is this a good idea? One of my weightlifting friends was saying I should eat some boiled eggs after I ran last night but it was already too late. Is it alright to eat lean before bed or would that hinder my weight loss?
    To lose weight, cutting out about 500 calories a day from what you are currently eating is a good rule of thumb.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 8:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You suck at reading and/or math.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 8:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Like ChenPengFi said, it's a rule of thumb. I can point to MIT studies that say 3lbs. a week is okay, but that's so boring, isn't it?

Like I said, I've done it myself. I've done 3lbs/week over about a three month period. And that was with a splurge day every week. The rest of the week was a nutritious but very strict diet with no exceptions.

One other caviat. In my case I've always been in pretty good shape and I've always done a lot of cardio. When I needed to lose weight it was because I ate like a horse for a while and had extra fat to get rid of. But I wasn't out of shape to the point that exercise was hard for me. It's a lot easier to burn the necessary calories when you can immediately exercise intensely instead of having to work your way up from really bad conditioning.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 8:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like ChenPengFi said, it's a rule of thumb. I can point to MIT studies that say 3lbs. a week is okay, but that's so boring, isn't it?
    Roger that.

Like I said, I've done it myself. I've done 3lbs/week over about a three month period. And that was with a splurge day every week. The rest of the week was a nutritious but very strict diet with no exceptions.
    I don't necessarily have a splurge day, I just don't get stupid with it. If I eat something that isn't good for me I don't eat a lot of it, that's it for the day, and I bust my ass. Also, I rarely do that but maybe twice a week. Every time I see my arch nemesis the Ho Ho I just remind myself I have a muffin top and that ain't gonna win me a fight. I figure if/when my progress slows I can throw my metabolism a curveball by eating strictly healthy. Is this dumb?

One other caviat. In my case I've always been in pretty good shape and I've always done a lot of cardio. When I needed to lose weight it was because I ate like a horse for a while and had extra fat to get rid of. But I wasn't out of shape to the point that exercise was hard for me. It's a lot easier to burn the necessary calories when you can immediately exercise intensely instead of having to work your way up from really bad conditioning.
    I was already active enough to where this wasn't really an issue even at first. Also, do you think that Powerade after a good workout is a bad idea?
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 8:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lost 30 lbs in two months @ a year ago.

I was living on the street, carrying weight for many miles every day (trying to find work and a place to stay) and eating @ 1000 calories on "good" days.

It was not fun or healthy, and I certainly wasn't in any condition to fight. Not like an athlete anyways. Maybe like a crazy starving dog. But definitely not like an athlete.

That was my 30lbs loss in 60 days experience though. FWIW.

Also, do you think that Powerade after a good workout is a bad idea?
    Check the sugar content in Powerade. Terrible idea if you're trying to trim up.

If you need it for refreshment, cheap out with lime juice and cold water. If you need it for electrolytes, develope your own mix so you can control the calories.

Powerade is going to sugar you out, mang!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 8:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol I think I pretty much have as long as I need, my coach said there's always events in Virginia. December was just the timeframe my coach gave for whatever reason. I see it happening in January since December will be a busy month for me between work, Christmas get togethers, and my kid's bday. I guess only time will tell. Ftr, I will not be in starving dog mode but feral beast mode.

Edit: I know nothing about electrolytes :( How do you make your own mix?
    Last edited by itwasntme; 9/19/2012 9:02pm at .
    Start a training log!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast