Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    True, but his question is still valid. ....
    ...and has been covered ad infinitum; hey look it's even a sticky and an article!

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88851
    http://www.bullshido.org/Finding_a_g...al_arts_school

Style
    BJJ, Krav Maga
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KendalGuro View Post
    ... in a ground fighting situation where your fully vested with one opponent, you are completely open to attack from another individual.
    Unless you are somehow impervious to tripping on something or being tackled, the fight may go to the ground whether you want it to or not. Who is the hardest person to put on the ground or to keep there? A grappler.

Thus why I do both Krav and BJJ.

To the OP: jiu jitsu and tae kwon do sounds odd. (Odd in that I don't believe that's a combination you see often.)
    Last edited by ConcreteShoeMan; 9/18/2012 5:16pm at . Reason: clarity

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no objections to compliance, throws, or grappling. I dont know where you live, but I have rarely seen a one on one situation in real life. The guy starting a fight in the bar always has a friend, and in a ground fighting situation where your fully vested with one opponent, you are completely open to attack from another individual. Additionally your limited by the ground, the directions you can move, your egress all limited. I didnt say ther was no value to groundfighting. Its important to train groundwork to be a well rounded fighter. I love MMA, judo, and dumong, but I feel that if you are on the ground you are limited, its simple physics.
    Okay stop.

Has anyone caught the new excuse?
    Random Poster: I like/love MMA (Sport MA) but....blah blah blah.

We need to research when this change occurred. It has become as prevalent as eye gouges and the ring vs street aka sport vs street argument.

Style
    Boxing, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no objections to compliance, throws, or grappling. I dont know where you live, but I have rarely seen a one on one situation in real life. The guy starting a fight in the bar always has a friend, and in a ground fighting situation where your fully vested with one opponent, you are completely open to attack from another individual. Additionally your limited by the ground, the directions you can move, your egress all limited. I didnt say ther was no value to groundfighting. Its important to train groundwork to be a well rounded fighter. I love MMA, judo, and dumong, but I feel that if you are on the ground you are limited, its simple physics.
    I completely agree, but throws keep you on your feet and the other guy on the ground. What's more, you have the choice to throw him on his neck (put him out) or on his back, all while staying on your feet. Better yet, it's non-lethal force and can be used without consequence in a classroom setting. Parents can be real dicks - you'd be surprised what they'll try to pull on you if you so much as put a hand on a child who's trying to harm you. Nonlethal force is paramount in the classroom, which I suspect will be the OP's primary threat area. After all, he knows it's a bad area. He won't walk along the streets alone or anything stupid like that (right, OP? Say it ain't so!). The one place he'll be completely defenseless is in the classroom, and he'll need to know how to quickly disable an antagonist without striking them. That should be his first priority.

Still, I agree - in the absolute worst-case scenario, there is the possibility that more than one opponent could attack you and the situation won't give you the luxury of deciding. Because of that, I recommend cross-training in boxing, kickboxing or muay thai. I've heard good things about Krav, but I can't speak to its efficacy personally. OP, will you need knife-handling techniques? Obv you can't tote a weapon in the classroom, but how much faith do you put in the school to keep knives out of the classroom? Krav/FMA might come in handy.

BJJ, Judo and Sambo all sound like important grappling options, bsem. It would probably behoove you to use the search function to see if someone here's already done a review on the school. If they haven't, y'oughta post the website here. In the meantime, you should look at ChenPengFi's link - it'll give you all of the warning signs.

By the way, is it TKD or kickboxing? You mentioned both in your post.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved to Newbietown.

I suggest boxing and Judo.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    xingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Canned response:

You can't fight many until, you can fight one.

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's see the situation. You have a short time. I hope you are able to keep training after you start there. But also, 8 months well focused can go a long way. Try to practice six days a week if possible. Just give your body time to adapt. I see you have motivation, and that helps a lot. I would advise against doing two arts in the beginning because your time is short.

I say that the best choice would be wrestling, Sambo or bjj. I'm afraid about judo not teaching you so much to deal with the ground in the beginning. You should tell the instructor about your goals since the beginning, so he can help you focus more on the self defense. For example, trying to start every roll from standing position, rolling with AND without gi, learning the strategy in every position, self defense specific moves, etc.

Another reason for going with grappling it's that it's in your best interest avoiding to hurt people more than the necessary, even if you are out of the school. You'll be known in the neighborhood and people will know where to find you. You'll be better trying to make friends and being respected, than **** someone up and get shot the next day. It doesn't mean being a *****, but rather avoiding more violence than necessary. Grappling is easier to control an aggressor with less damage.

Someone with real mma experience could guide better too, even if you focus mostly on grappling with some only basics in striking.
    Last edited by bigato; 9/18/2012 6:27pm at .

Style
    Boxing, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I suggest boxing and Judo.
    This would be my exact prescription, unless you're really worried about armed assailants, in which case I would do judo and Krav.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliada View Post
    This would be my exact prescription, unless you're really worried about armed assailants, in which case I would do judo and Krav.
    I would still do Judo + boxing then maybe work on empty hand weapon stuff with privates.
    With Krav being pretty hit or miss.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably the most important concept to have an understanding of when shopping for a MA that will actually be used for self defense is
    Aliveness
    Below video will tell you exactly what that is. If you go to a school and do not see Aliveness being practiced you may as well be learning dance.

also another good video to watch

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last