Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 5:40am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kamagong or Bahi?

Hi guys.

So the senior students at my club are encouraging me to pick up a heavier stick for twirling and exercise.

I'm looking around and I see both Kamagong and Bahi sticks in very similar (surprisingly expensive) price ranges.

Is there anything to recommend one over the other? Are there any other woods I should be looking at?

Its unlikely that I'll be using the stick for much impact work, since I know hardwoods can be quite brittle and I don't really want to waste a 30 stick beating a tyre.

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 6:41am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know first hand kamagong is good for solo drills to add weight. I haven't trained with bahi but I have picked up a pair and I remember them being heavier than rattan but I think they were lighter than kamagong. Could have just been a light pair of bahi sticks though. In you're case if goo with kamagong if you're not going to be striking with them. You always have the option off buying thick ass rattan sticks.

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 8:09am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a pair of kamagong and bahi at the same time, and they felt pretty much comparable in weight.

I've been told that bahi is less prone to fracture though, so that alone is a big selling point - at the last seminar I attended, two kamagong sticks were broken over one of those Bob standing dummies.

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 8:18am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. The shop I usually buy from is out of Kamagong, so Bahi its going to be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 2:02pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bahi is much more durable. Similar in weight too. Kamagong is very brittle, and even though it has a good feel, will break if you hit it against a similar heavy stick repeatedly. Bahi holds up much better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 3:40pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bahi all the way. I have seen bahi break only once n 17 years, my teacher actually cracked the foundation of my house with one and split the stick. The difference is bahi is fiberous like rattan, both plants are members of the palm family. SO when they do break there are no sharp edges.
    There are sometimes micro voids in the stick that will make them flex upon contact and shred. For banging, there is no substitute for rattan, not because its better than bahi, but like you said who wants to tear up a $30 stick.

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's just weight you're looking for why restrict yourself to wood?

The local hardware store will have various lengths and diameters of metal pipe for a fraction of what your wood sticks will cost. (Though you may want to get some tape as well to improve the grip)

Can't bang with them at practice but they'll give you the workout you're looking for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 4:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a tip for stregnth and grip training. I have several pairs of steel rods and pipes, varying weights and diameters. Get something thin and heavy, where you really have to hold on tight and swing away. Twirling with thin heavy sticks will make you much better with lighter fatter sticks.

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 5:36pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm wary off metal pipes because of the potential for injury. I suppose if you take it slow you re probably fine but of you get you intense you might be vulnerable to a shoulder or arm injury.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 8:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well said, you have to balance intensitiy with the weight of the stick. I still have a recurring wrist injury from swinging an abaniko too hard with kamagong.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast