Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Journalism Fail thread

White Guilt and Sirc are failing to provide enough entertainment to get me through my day. So, I clicked into this story, because I've taken an casual interest in the media campaign to destroy the NSA:

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...use-Fort-Meade

What bothered me, and is the impetus for this thread, is this shitty little gem at the end:

An Army Times investigation found that nearly 30,000 children in military families were abused or neglected between 2003 and 2012; more than 118 of them died from the abuse.
    Did you catch it?

I've been using a term, recently, "oddly specific." Not sure if I came up with it on my own, or have liberated it from some other source, but it applies to this statistic. You might say "more than 100." But, "more than 118," I think crosses the line into journalistic failure. My bet is 0 more than 118 died.

I don't think you could call this a typo, either. Assuming the stat was supposed to be 117, 119, or most likely 110, you would still have an oddly specific number for a "more than," qualifier.

Well, anyways, entertain me. Bring forth your journalistic failures - not gag-reel **** from the TV news, though, I can find that crap on youtube.

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 2:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I don't think you could call this a typo, either. Assuming the stat was supposed to be 117, 119, or most likely 110, you would still have an oddly specific number for a "more than," qualifier.
    Army Times article says:

Beatings, torture and starvation claimed the lives of 118 Army children.
    http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...abuse-epidemic

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 3:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I missed that it was Army Times in my OP - so, double failure: 1) oddly specific; and, 2) they failed to quote their own story correctly. It would be amusing if it didn't involve dead children.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Up to and including one Permalosts posts less than 100,000 Snopes links a week to debunk friend's Facebook shares. More at 11.