Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 12:38am

Style: Kempo, Catch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recently had a very interesting experience with a Haiwian/Samoan style called Kapu Kai Lua (my spelling my be off but it should be pheonetically correct). The gentleman edxplained that it is traditionally passed down from Father to son. Its focus is ground work and bears a stiking resemblence to Bjj minus the work within the guard. But again I could be off since my experience with bjj is limited to what comes at from the other corner of the ring lately. One very intersting note, where bjj'er's and wrestlers shoot for the knees/hip/thigh area...this guy actually shot for my ankles and caught me completly off guard. I've never seen that done before but I'll certainly be more alert for it in the future.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 1:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the arts I practice is a non-asian based art....It's called Glock-Do...A very effective art, especially in .40 caliber.....Oh, damn....Wait a minute....The Chinese invented gun powder....I guess that would also make Glock-Do asian based.....BASTARDS!!!

Hey, Kempoist.....Your diaper is drooping...Just kidding. Talking about shooting for your ankles..I had a guy do that to me awhile back. He shot down, grabbed my ankle (I was too stunned to move...curious as to what the hell he was doing) He grabbed my ankle, pressed his head into it and put me on my ass!!! Man, that hurt. He tried a few more times but when something hurts like that you learn quick....He eventually learned what it was like to be "Ridden like a rented mule".

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 1:16am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, yes, the Way of the Gun beats the Way of the Empty Hand -- the idea would be to stop them from getting to the gun ...

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."

Edited by - JKDChick on November 26 2002 00:17:25
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 1:25am

Style: Kempo, Catch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <Hey, Kempoist.....Your diaper is drooping...Just kidding. Talking about shooting for your ankles..I had a guy do that to me awhile back. He shot down, grabbed my ankle (I was too stunned to move...curious as to what the hell he was doing) He grabbed my ankle, pressed his head into it and put me on my ass!!! Man, that hurt. He tried a few more times but when something hurts like that you learn quick....He eventually learned what it was like to be "Ridden like a rented mule".>

Definatly a different sensation. He shot down and grabbed behind each of my heels. I sprawled but all that did was give him the leverage to adjust his base and send my up and over his back. So I end up laying there looking at the lights ad saying something profound like "owch". and wonder at exactly what point did I loose control of the situation. I got mine in later tho'. So things balanced out .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 1:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKD...I don't know....Have you ever seen Remo Williams...That little Korean dude taught Remo how to dodge bullets.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 1:51am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except the little Korean guy was JOEL GREY.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 4:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Didn't the ancient pankratian use to practice fighting with knives/spikes on their hands?"

the greeks didn't. the romans did, and that's most likely what led to the demise of the art, since submissions are kind of moot with spiked gloves.

"Where their any other sword arts that came out of europe other than fencing? I'm pretty sure knights had to have had some sort of science behind using those giant swords."

fencing is a broad term, usually referring to foil, epee, and sabre fencing. in addition there were italian, french, english, and spanish methods, all of which pretty much blended into modern fencing. whatever school there was for longsword or whatever probably just died out or was adapted for the rapier and other lighter weapons. i'm sure some stav guy is going to disagree with me.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 7:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Forgot to mention - Escrima is a one man version of Morris Dancing learnt from visiting sailors from the East India Tea Company.
    No, really."

Nooooo. Escrima is NOT a one man version of Morris Dancing learnt from visiting sailors from the East India Tea Company.

It is the stick fighting of the Phillipenes whith heavy influence from the SPAINIARDS. Hence all the spaininsh terminology. Escrima is just spainish for 'scirmish'.

Very similar to Kali, which IS probably more dutch influenced as it comes out of Indonesia.Get your colonialists straight man! (although I must confess the Villabi-Largusa system of Kali also uses mostly spainish terminology.

p.s. This pankrase is a royal scam. You can teach whatever you want but there aint no way in hell your gonna get me to believe you've got anything more than some old pottery shards to connect what you teach today with the pancraton of ancient Greece.

The problem isn't that only Asians had deadly sophisticated fighting systems. It is that outside of asia, not to many people cared after guns came into play. Even the fiercest most dangerous army in the world, the American, incorporates a minumum of H2H training and what there is seems to be mostly based on whatever background the top fighter in the unit has.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 10:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only heard of pankration in the last two years or so...whats the beef with this? Has it only recently been 'rediscovered' ( i.e. invented...)???

Taking a break

Posted On:
    11/26/2002 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nooooo. Escrima is NOT a one man version of Morris Dancing learnt from visiting sailors from the East India Tea Company.
    You did realise I was taking the piss didn't you?

"Not in the face!"
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast