Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Taking a break

Posted On:
    11/25/2002 6:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've noticed that theres a lack of stuff about non asian martial arts (i'm not counting BJJ as its a japanes derivative)
    So, how much do you know about your countries indiginous arts?
    I'll begin with some Irish stuff.

"Not in the face!"
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Taking a break

Posted On:
    11/25/2002 6:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Prior to the Norman invasion of England in 1066 martial arts consisted of the celtic style or the viking/saxon style. I don't know anything about the saxon styles, so I'll concentrate on the celtic styles.
    The celts fought at 3 ranges, grappling, striking and weapons. At least they did until the Normans invaded Ireland in the 12th Century, when almost all their martial culture was wiped out.
    In the manner adopted by all subjugated peoples, the martial arts were disguised until such a time as they were free of their oppressors, unfortunately, the irish were quite thouroughly oppressed for 800 years so this didn't really work.
    The normans ignored the wrestling, allowing it to continue as a sport to keep the natives happy, and this is still seen today in Cumberland wrestling which is very similar to Sumo except the participents start off in a clinch. The objective is to throw your opponent to the ground, without the use of any punches or strikes.
    http://home.clara.net/pb/calendar/caw_cu_e.htm is a link to this and other styles of wrestling in the UK
    The striking arts consisted of kicking and punching, with the emphasis being on low kicks with wooden clogs. The hands were mainly used to block or evade, with the aim of closing to grappling distance. This was disguised from the Normans by being incorporated into a series of dance forms. This can now be seen in those wonderful performances by Michael Flatley. Pretty much all martial content has been lost.
    http://www.lordofthedance.com/html/
    The weapons art was known as the Morrigans Dance (the Morrigan is the Goddess aspect of Death, the others being the Cerydwn, Goddess of Taxes and War and the Blodwyn, Goddess of Beauty and Healing), and consisted of units of 6 to 12 men armed with short weapons (blade length was around 18"). It was an extremely effective and brutal style, but was no match for cavalry, which was unknown prior to the norman invasion. Although it died out quickly in Ireland, it did migrate to England between 1420-1450. It was taught within a few villages in North Somerset (between Cornwall and Wales) as a set of forms known as the Morri's dance. In the last 400 years it has slowly spread across the south of England and up the Penines into Lancashire and Yorkshire and it was during this spread that it became accompanied by music. Morris dancing displays are common throughout the summer in many villages now, and tournaments are increasing in popularity despite the ban on full contact competetive Morris Dancing after the incident in 1983 when one person died and another 2 were injured in a tournament in Frome, Somerset.
    http://www.morrisdancing.org/

"Not in the face!"

Taking a break

Posted On:
    11/25/2002 7:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forgot to mention - Escrima is a one man version of Morris Dancing learnt from visiting sailors from the East India Tea Company.
    No, really.

"Not in the face!"

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    11/25/2002 9:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cerydwn, Goddess of Taxes and War,
    Taxes and war are what got you booted out of here!

Honestly though, very interesting post. What are the histories of mainland european arts (if there are any besides savate)?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/25/2002 9:26pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fencing. Pankration. There's an Egyptian martial art, isn't there? And some South American ones (other than Capoeria and BJJ) and African, aren't there? Damn, no time to do the research.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    11/25/2002 10:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fencing. Pankration. There's an Egyptian martial art, isn't there? And some South American ones (other than Capoeria and BJJ) and African, aren't there? Damn, no time to do the research.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Err... yeah forgot fencing (even though I actually fenced for a little while). From what I've read here (highly reliable source) pankration is a wrestling leauge/tournament. Is the name based on an actual art? Suppose I could look on google...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2002 10:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dochter, pankration sometimes refers to a mixed style that was dormant for some 1500-2000 years and somehow resurfaced once the general population of the ma community got wise to grappling and cross training. what timing!

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    11/25/2002 10:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhhh... another ancient art extending back to our proto-human ancestors. Funny how many of those there are.
  9. KC Elbows

Posted On:
    11/25/2002 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, there was an ancient pankratian, but it has nothing to do with the modern version.

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    11/25/2002 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't the ancient pankratian use to practice fighting with knives/spikes on their hands?

Where their any other sword arts that came out of europe other than fencing? I'm pretty sure knights had to have had some sort of science behind using those giant swords.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast