Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On my JJJ advice thread I asked a question about escrima and got a short interesting answer. In my city (Stockton, CA) I can take Cabales Serrada Escrima from Vincent Cabales, who was apparently Angel's heir, or I can go and take Giron at Bahala-Na, but I don't know who the master is there. I know Leo Giron is from this city. I would appreciate any comment, information or advice. I know pretty much nothing about the Filipino arts.

* It's easier to fall down than to fall up *
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 8:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was me. I would recomend you a good book by Mark Wiley (I hope I spelled his name right) its called FILIPINO MARTIAL CULTURE. Dan Insantos also has some good escrima materal out there as well. His thoughts on escrima is very simialr from that of Lameco's founder. They traded techniques from what I understand. It covers the different teachers of escrima and some of the different styles. Besided the 3 ranges of fighting the other main difference with escrima schools is the foot work. Some schools have elaborate patterns while others a very straight forward and simple. Each school of escrima has their own training drills much like wing chun with their sticky hand exercise. One really good escrima style is LAMECO. It is considered to be the Jeet Kune Do style of escrima. The founder although died of an untimely death like the late Bruce Lee was mixing and matching the different styles of escrima. To a lay person most see all stick fighting as the same but to someone who is into escrima you shortly figure out there are different styles of it. Some styles like to use long distance hard smashing techniques and others close and tight striking techniques. Others like Cabales's like to us "Picks" as mentioned in the other post. Illustrisomo style likes to aim their strikes to your limbs and is based on the blade. Giron's seems to focus at much closer ranges and their grappling with sticks is pretty good. I would warn you the vast majority of escrima teachers stay away from close ranges because there are too many things that can go wrong; too many variables and you could get easily defeated. Long styles are okay but you have to cover all your ranges as you probably already guessed. The long range is quite common to fight in. If you ever seen footages of the "DogBrothers" reality stick fighting, most stick to that long range. Anything closer and your going into a tough and exhausting battle. Where anything can happen.
    Escrima also uses other terms like arnis or kalis.
    There is also a whole wide of weopns used in escrima beside double or single stick. Theres the "kriss" its a blade with serrated wavy edges. It is in no way the same as Indonesian or Malaysian kriss/keris. Theres the butterfly knife which originated in the Philipines as a quick draw weopon and theres many ways to open it. Theres the 'barong' which is a blade shape almost like a giant leaf with the middle section being the wider section and the tip and handle area tapering off. Its a chopping and stabbing weopn but most a chopping weopon. Its use mostly to hack someones head off (there use to be alot of head hunters in the Philippines). Theres many other assortment of weopons.
    I think Cabales escrima is a pretty good art to learn from. Later on perhaps when you feel you have gain some proficiency in Cablaes you might want to try Giron's escrima just to be more well rounded.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 9:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh another thing both Cabale and Giron have used there skill to kill people in the past....WWII that is. So its really worth while learning from those who have actually been in life and death combat. Thats one of my reason for wanting to learn escrima. Its hard to find teachers out there that have killed with their art and knows what they are talking about. They also teach empty hand applications of escrima so its really a rare treat to learn from these styles. Its worth it. And their unarmed techniques are battle proven as well.
    Theres a few others as well.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Freddy, you've been really helpful. What's your experience?

* It's easier to fall down than to fall up *
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog