Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 4:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Merged because there was already a thread.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope this fight was as good as it sounds, I wish I could have watched it on Saturday night.
    Have to wait until TSN re broadcasts it.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 4:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I missed it as well. Sounds really good.

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 5:33pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Just want to say this. While I've seen a lot of great fights during the past few years, most of them are rarely seen by the mainstream fight audience. No, most of the fights people see are non-competitive Pacquiao or Mayweather exhibitions where something controversial happens.

Count me thrilled when Martinez, a man on the same talent level as Pacquiao and Mayweather, fights in a competitive grudge match, wins convincingly, and without controversy.

This is a reminder that there's more to boxing than Pacquiao or Mayweather, and that other fighters deserve some attention every now and then. Hell, other fighters might offer more entertainment value than the Big 2.

There's some tremendous talent bubbling below the radar; guys who cannot fight Mayweather or Pacquiao because they're in different weight divisions, or they still have to through their proving grounds to prove they're legitimate. There's also guys who aren't talented but still put on a great show.

Hopefully, this fight will whet the public's appetite for something different from the usual fare.
    Thankfully Boxing is going through something of a resurgence in the UK. This is partly owing to the successes in the amateurs of Audley Harrison, who parlayed his Olympic Gold into a guaranteed contract with the BBC - and then let everyone down. Even so, this was built on by the Silver of Amir Khan, and to today in that we've been more competitive in the Olympics and also professionally.

The broadcasting of boxing was usually by BBC and/or ITV but, the tragedies of Eubank v Watson, Benn v McClellan, saw ITV withdraw and the BBC only returned with Harrison.

SKY TV bought out most Boxing to force fans to buy Cable/Satellite etc but in recent times, they have also drawn back from Boxing except for Khan.

Today, we have Box Nation, which is a dedicated cable channel and is in partnership with Frank Warren. I'm a subscriber and I'm pretty pleased. I saw Canelo v Lopez - great performance from Alvarez on repeat on Box Nation.

So, we've now more options to see more national and international boxing on cable channels so I'm chuffed. I still read Boxing News (UK weekly) but also get to see more. :-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 8:12pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very glad to hear that, Eddie! Good to hear my favorite sport is still appreciated on the other side of the pond. I suppose boxing will always have a special place in its homeland. I certainly wish we had a dedicated boxing channel here in the States. I'd buy cable for it! (I certainly have nothing to watch on TV without it!)

I'd like to agree with you, atomicpoet, but I can't. The public paid for a big-name fight - I'd wager Chavez Jr. brought most of the PPV audience (but what do I know? I'm not privy to HBO's figures). The promoters played it as the son of Chavez Sr. fighting on Grito de Dolores, and the Mexican audience came in droves to give support. Did you hear the entire audience boo for Martinez and cheer for Chavez? I personally doubt that they were charmed by Chavez's dazzling physique, rapier wit or personal charm. This match was promoted like a big-boy match and the public responded. I don't think the masses will gain a broader appreciation for boxing any time soon.

Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong, tho'. I'm scared for the future of the sport - at least here in America.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 10:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The end of this fight sounds similar to the end of Chavez Sr.'s fight with Meldrick Taylor years ago.
    Only difference is junior's dad pulled a victory out.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 1:12pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    The end of this fight sounds similar to the end of Chavez Sr.'s fight with Meldrick Taylor years ago.
    Believe me, they were making those comparisons before the final bell had even rung.

EDIT: I think it's a pretty illuminating parallel - beyond just the literal level. Chavez Jr. has the iron chin and incredible body punches that his father did, but their work ethics (and, consequently, skill levels) are incomparable. Junior has all the gifts, but gifts aren't enough. Senior had that extra reserve of power and ability - earned through training - to finish strong if given even the slightest opportunity.
    Last edited by Eliada; 9/18/2012 1:21pm at .

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 2:15pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Agreed. Eliada is correct, once Jnr connected with a stunning Right, it looked like he'd KO Martinez right at the end. Meldrick v Julio was instantly mentioned by the commentator. It didn't quite happen but it was very close.

Personally, I think Richard Steele was the Best Referee in the World so I would trust his judgment; even though many thought he denied Taylor Anyway, don't want to digress.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 3:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well ****, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. submits positive marijuana test.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,3307897.story

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 9:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone who has ever boxed knows pot doesn't do anything to boost your performance.
    If anything, it may hinder your performance if you smoke too much.
    Grass shouldn't even be on the banned substance list.
    He probably smoked a joint one or two days before the fight.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast