Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 2:18pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    Only about three people can speak Gaelic, Shite is nationwide.

The language thing is true though, appalling accents and slang aside, most people don't know Gaelic - I only know a score or so words. I couldn't put a sentence together and I don't know anyone that can.
    Go to the Gaeltach. They have to stop and think to speak English.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Go to the Gaeltach. They have to stop and think to speak English.
    Are there Gaeltacht in Scotland?
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 3:38pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, i would like to train as a batter with the New York Yankees for three months before though, so the result will be definite.

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 4:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Are there Gaeltacht in Scotland?
    The Western Isles are asserted to speak Scots Gaelic. They have a right to a TV station in the language so I assume there's a demand.

The Welsh also have their own TV prog in Welsh. We used to have a student from Wales, and though he did not speak Welsh, his mate was fluent. You also get Welsh-speakers in Welsh Regiments, like The Royal Welsh (Infantry).

I recall being in Spiddle, Galway with my Uncle and cousins. The weather was too harsh for a trip to the Arran Islands so he went to church. It was full of priests and nuns and all in Irish. Crikey.

After, he stopped to ask directions of two locals for a village further along the coast. They had been conversing to each other in Gaelic/Gaelga and had to genuinely think to reply in English to my Uncle's question. :-)

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 4:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deleted. Duplicate post.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 9/27/2012 4:04pm at . Reason: Deleted - duplicate post.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 12:29am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ordered a pint in Irish on the Inis Mor

I don't know if it was my accent (Kent innit) or what, but for a second the bar went silent and every one continues to talk in English

(I think they were talking about me)
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I ordered a pint in Irish on the Inis Mor

I don't know if it was my accent (Kent innit) or what, but for a second the bar went silent and every one continues to talk in English

(I think they were talking about me)
    Haha! Brilliant! One of my aspirations is just that except to order the Guinness in English and then sit and listen and at a suitable point, answer in Irish.

I just have to learn to speak it. :-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 4:37pm

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the subject of language:
    A beginner told me yesterday after training that her boyfriend was in the bujinkan. He had come out with this gem when she was signing up at Freshers' week "that's not a real bokken, it's just a wooden sword."
    Tonight I met them both and the fanboy-ism was strong with him. Here are some of the things that he came out with:
    *only a stick that comes up to your hip can be called a bo
    *a bokken has a curve to give better leverage
    *the "ken" in "bokken" can mean several things (and the ambiguity is still there when written down)
    *adding to this level of misguided pedentary: pronouncing bokken like broken, instead of bo-ken
    *all bokken should have a tip, because Musashi said so, your soul is represented by the tip
    * Musashi only twice wielded a real sword, every other time was a bokken

I don't want to hit ninja fanboys with my shovel, but some of the stuff they come out does annoy me.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 1:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by realjanuary View Post
    I don't want to hit ninja fanboys with my shovel, but some of the stuff they come out does annoy me.

I think a foam LARPers shovel would be appropriate

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    10/06/2012 9:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fat fuckers on ride-on lawn mowers

Get a push-along you lazy knackers!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast