Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 10:30am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    I would pay big money to see Victor Steiner-Davion get his head chopped off at his wedding and the Dothraki carve out a huge chunk of Westeros
    I was picturing the Others as being the Clans, but that works too.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    That's why I still like to deal with his work, even though his prose is horrendous.
    Horrendous as in hard to read? I've heard that charge before.

I think people just have a hard reading it because his grasp of English and its beautiful ancestral languages was quite amazing, and Tolkien (as a linguist) loved pouring language onto page so much he could fill page after page of a short story about what a particular mountain range looked like. In that way, he gave a breadth of detail to Middle Earth in a way that has been repeated seldom since.

Most people today want their fantasy fix more quickly, and don't have the kind of patience required to sit through Tolkien describe a mountain range.....and there are many, many such mountain ranges in his work. ROFL

That's the real art behind the art most see, in my opinion. Tolkien's linguistic gifts went beyond any of the popular content he created, and so he produced some of the most beautiful language and poetry of the 20th century.

And as evidence of the asshaterry of Tolkien-bashers, I present this Fail Meme, because "Mt. Doom" is actually Orodruin, and Amon Amarth

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/09/2012 10:49am at .

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 10:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Blood God will carve the Inner Sphere to bloody chunks. Let the Inner Sphere burn!!!!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!! MECHS FOR THE SCULL THRONE!!!
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 10:56am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Namárië", in Quenyan Elvish.

"Namárië
    ", in English

Ah! like gold fall the leaves in the wind,
    long years numberless as the wings of trees!
    The long years have passed like swift draughts
    of the sweet mead in lofty halls
    beyond the West, beneath the blue vaults of Varda
    wherein the stars tremble
    in the voice of her song, holy and queenly.

Who now shall refill the cup for me?

For now the Kindler, Varda, the Queen of the stars,
    from Mount Everwhite has uplifted her hands like clouds
    and all paths are drowned deep in shadow;
    and out of a grey country darkness lies
    on the foaming waves between us,
    and mist covers the jewels of Calacirya for ever.
    Now lost, lost to those of the East is Valimar!

Farewell! Maybe thou shalt find Valimar!
    Maybe even thou shalt find it! Farewell!
    In the Tengwar (Feanor's Script)

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/09/2012 11:07am at .

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 11:13am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peter Jackson left a major element out of Return of the King that pissed me off.

The Temptation of Samwise. In the book (and even the goofy but lovable old animated version) even pure old Sam almost succumbs to the ring, in the movie they didn't even explore the the rather critical moments when Sam envisions taking the ring to destroy Sauron himself, and becoming a god.

The ring wants you....and who doesn't want to be a god? Oh the devilry...

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/09/2012 11:18am at .

:)

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again you've missed the point. Being tempted by evil isn't new or innovative or, again, not completely fucking predictable. It's not just in Tolkein, it's in all the hackneyed fantasy that followed, vainly attempting to recapture him. Even if you like Tolkein, you have to at least get that the subgenre he founded pretty much blows.
    I wouldn't blame Led Zeppelin for the Zeppelin imitators. Is it RunDMC/Rick Rubin's fault Lil' Wayne has to have guitar in his beats now? Cher doesn't have to answer for all the autotune garbage out there. I don't curse Hendrix for every guitarist who wants to take 7 minute solos and thinks delay fx are a given.

Elvis didn't create his lookalikes, he just did something so well, that others wanted to do it also (badly, b/c they're not Elvis).

I hear you on the genre, possibly. I much prefer history, or tech spy/govt/army stuff, if it has to be made up. I don't blame Tolkein though.

:)

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Peter Jackson left a major element out of Return of the King that pissed me off.

The Temptation of Samwise. In the book (and even the goofy but lovable old animated version) even pure old Sam almost succumbs to the ring, in the movie they didn't even explore the the rather critical moments when Sam envisions taking the ring to destroy Sauron himself, and becoming a god.

The ring wants you....and who doesn't want to be a god? Oh the devilry...
    Only Bombadil is unaffected, which they also left out. And the barrow wights, and the retaking of the shire, and the reousting of Samuman (and Frodo's letting him go after trying to stab him on his exit from the Shire). And a whole mess of stuff.

They cut a bunch out for the movies. Dumbed it down, and made the hobbits goofs. Overall, a good job, but that story is too expansive for that medium...and too tragic to avoid some treatment.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 12:11pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not just in Tolkein, it's in all the hackneyed fantasy that followed, vainly attempting to recapture him. Even if you like Tolkein, you have to at least get that the subgenre he founded pretty much blows.
    There may come a day when the hearts of men grow cold and dim, and we cast aside heroic fantasy, damning it as the pap of children and the opium dreams of naive optimists. But today is not that day!

Do any among this rabble have the authority to treat with me, or the wit to understand me? I, who have seen a legend's blood on the stones of Dros Delnoch, and the wings of dragons blot out the sun over the High Clerist's tower. I, who have walked in the deepest blackness of the Underdark and in the Shades of Ankh Morpork, and feared no evil, for Drizzt Do'Urden and Sir Samuel Vimes were at my side.

The kender call me a sworn companion to Uncle Trapspringer. To the dwarves I am the Oath Keeper of Gotrek Gurnisson himself, and the wolves know me as the wit brother of Night Eyes. At Redwall Abbey, they say I am touched by the Warrior's paw. With Raistilin Majere and Harry Dresden I have made the prime forces of creation dance to my will, and with Locke Lamore and the Grey Mouser I have brought justice and humility to those who thought themselves above their fellow man. When I ride to war, Gaius Octavian is my commander, the armor of the Pandion knights shields my body, and Aslan watches over my soul.

Though the gates of these realms may be closed to me, it is still better to die having glimpsed what lies beyond than to live a thousand years never stirring from the cold furrow of mortal life.

In short, no, Hedge. Heroic fantasy does not "suck". You're just an idiot.
    Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 10/09/2012 12:37pm at .

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 12:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Screw fantasy writing lets talk fantasy gaming
    and this adventure for Fantasy Craft is one of the best ever
    Name:  78001.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  55.2 KB

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 12:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Horrendous as in hard to read?
    Not so much that. It's more his pacing, as you mentioned. Even dinosaurs like Walter Scott, or Charles Dickens, or Alexandre Dumas for that matter, manage to mix description and action better. Interestingly enough, I find this only in LotR, not in Tolkien's other works, but then, those are supposedly partly ghostwritten by Guy Gavriel Kaye. So, yeah, I adore Tolkien for the frame he sets, but I definitely preferred the LotR movies, or rather, the uniquely brilliant audioplays by BBC, to the books.

Then again, I haven't read LotR in a decade, so, who knows, probably I'd now think differently...