Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 7:09pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another sinister bloke here (for those who don't know, that's both an oxymoron AND a derivative of the latin for left hand). I, too, find myself doing the right hand side first, then applying the technique left handed. Sometimes I forget that I am left handed and some technique will feel awkward and foreign, then I'll remember and the light bulb will go off and I will hit the technique with precision on the left hand side.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 8:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also a lefty and as such, I'm used to learning techniques on the right side because that's generally how their taught. I pass guard to my opponent's left all the time because most right handers are very weak defending on that side.

What I find very interesting is that often I don't have bad habits on my off side like I do on my strong side.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 1:20am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    How long do you guys wait before you practice a technique on your bad side? I suddenly realized last week that I only practice throws on my good side and as such can barely throw to my left even with a good uke.

So do you wait till you get the hang of a move on your strong side before practicing on your bad side or is it a better idea to immediatly start training both sides?
    I tend to suck/be bad on both sides, so I train them both equally in the vain hope that one day at least one of them may pass for 'good'.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2012 5:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its the same with roundhouse kicks (mawashi geri) for me.
    Having done knee surgery on the left one, I find it slightly harder to rotate it as a supporting leg to throw the kick with decent momentum.

Maybe its a muscle imbalance where i just need to workout more with the left leg's quadricepts.

Posted On:
    9/15/2012 6:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ben is correct.

Don't try and be able to do you tokuiwaza both right and left or indeed any throws both right and left.

Have your tokuiwaza from one grip and to one side and compliment them with a technique or two from the same grip to the other side.

Judo takes long enough to get competent at without doubling the time it takes to learn the basics by doing everything left and right.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 2:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    I only just started really working on my left side because there are a few players at my club who play lefty and they get a little flustered playing another lefty and I found it easier to score a throw on them when playing lefty.
    That's pretty normal for lefties. Considering they compete with and train with mostly righties, they have a lot more experience dealing with kenka yotsu situations (than righties).

Practicing throws to the weak or off side can actually help your coordination on the strong side to some degree.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 2:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Thanks guys, I'l start working left side come practice time, hopefully il find a major throw that feels semicomfortable lefty. Also I like the idea of doing left side ashi waza to set up a major throw to the right, for some reason i had never thought of doing that.
    Like I said, you might find a left side throw you can do from a left grip and be fairly comfortable with it over time. Start out with your normal right grip and work on "major throws" to the off side first, then go to a pure left grip.

Realize that if you take a left grip against a normal righty, you will be putting yourself in even more of a potential bind, because as a normal righty your would be used to dealing with kenka yotsu (opposite grips) against a lefty. So, you not only have a left grip, you are in an even less common situation of being in kenka yotsu on your weak side with a righty who (should) be trained to deal with kenka yotsu against a lefty.

Not good...

Left Ippon Seoi Nage from a right grip, and ashi waza to your weak side.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 3:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The answer is to get double lapel and them stiff arm like a bell cheese for 5 minutes until the randori is finished, then sit out the next randori to get your breath back.

Rinse and repeat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 8:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    The answer is to get double lapel and them stiff arm like a bell cheese for 5 minutes until the randori is finished, then sit out the next randori to get your breath back.

Rinse and repeat.
    lol

and BKR thats what I am working on, mainly the ashi waza because for some reason I have never been super fond of seoi nage. Im thinking I may start working tsurikomi goshi weak side and see how that feels.

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 12:30pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have a new guy started at our judo club who is ambidexterous, and he can switch between l and r kesa without any thought at all... this has to be an advantage

I have high hopes for him
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast