Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend doing martial arts in college too. I met people from a variety of backgrounds because of it- wushu, hapkido, uechi ryu, TSD, hung gar etc. In fact that's how I met dwkyfm who posts here now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 12:47pm

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only got into the Martial Arts through a University club. Its probably the only time when you'll have access to cheap training with a huge range of partners from different backgrounds and styles.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the article too. Loved this part:

When the clubs at my university demonstrated, karate were kicking their way across a hall, Shaolin were calling out the summoning of Captain Planet en masse, BJJ were using real-life 40-hit combos and the Aikidoka were practicing how to fall over without hurting themselves.
    Fortunately, someone got there before I did:

Quote Originally Posted by vhw
    BJJ has no 40-hit combos, it only has submissions
    That said, my guess is that the opinion comes from a very specific view of martial arts. That is, the view of the "dabler". I.E. those "I dabbled in such-and-such martial art some time ago...!" If your experience is with clubs where there is regular turnaround and no consistent instructors or students over a large period of time, I can see how you would feel that there is a lack of utility with martial arts as most would be considered dabblers.

After all, the quality doesn't just come from the martial art, itself. It comes from the quality of the instruction, training, and the other experienced students you get to work with.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 2:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pffft. The author misses one of the best reason to do Martial Arts in college - hot chicks. Really, that should be a common theme in this entire article and the author misses it. Really, the main reason anyone in college should do anything is to better their chances of getting laid. Go to class? Of course, how else are you going to convince the hot chick in the front row that you are smart enough and earnest enough to sleep with? I am currently trying to work this more explicitly into my curriculum to improve student success.
    Last edited by TEA; 9/13/2012 2:15pm at .
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 3:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The majority of practitioners suck. You don't do it to become badasses. You do it because you want to feel like you're a badass. Most of you are just looking down on LARP'ers because they're completely lost. You're just slipping off the edge.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 3:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sleepless View Post
    *self reflection starts with myself*
    You are absolutely correct, especially if we remove the condescension and include you.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 3:56pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You are absolutely correct, especially if we remove the condescension and include you.
    I don't get this notion that everyone has that I don't include myself in my rantings. I've never ever said that I didn't. I don't know where you guys get that. I'm always striving to better myself. My goal for this year was to achieve a various set of achievements such as running a 5:59 mile, Free Solo Climb to the top of one of the mountains in Yosemite, Fight a bunch, Do some big projects, help my mom out, bench 200lbs, and a couple of other minor things.

So far I've ran a 6:02 mile, I've made it halfway up bridal veil falls and when I got to a ledge and found some old rope I recognized that I am not experienced enough of a free solo climber to make it up further without killing myself, I've taken a LOT of fights this year, helped my mom out after her chemo treatments, I'm working on a maaasssive tech project that I'm THE director of, I did 1 rep of 200lbs and helped a half dozen people lose well over 100lbs. It's not enough and not where my goals are at but I'm doing what I can to achieve them. I'm below the mark and I recognize that. My issue is that none of you want to admit that.

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 4:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far I've ran a 6:02 mile, I've made it halfway up bridal veil falls and when I got to a ledge and found some old rope I recognized that I am not experienced enough of a free solo climber to make it up further without killing myself, I've taken a LOT of fights this year, helped my mom out after her chemo treatments, I'm working on a maaasssive tech project that I'm THE director of, I did 1 rep of 200lbs and helped a half dozen people lose well over 100lbs. It's not enough and not where my goals are at but I'm doing what I can to achieve them. I'm below the mark and I recognize that. My issue is that none of you want to admit that.
    The sad truth is none of those things will ever make your penis larger or your hair grow back.

Hence the continued feelings of inadequacy.

Please excuse us mere plebeians for not acheiving your remarkable level of self hatred.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 4:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    The sad truth is none of those things will ever make your penis larger or your hair grow back.

Hence the continued feelings of inadequacy.

Please excuse us mere plebeians for not acheiving your remarkable level of self hatred.
    Hold on honey, when the adults are done talking about important things, we'll come over and play with you too.

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 4:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hold on honey, when the adults are done talking about important things, we'll come over and play with you too.
    Whatever age you may have reached, your attitude reveals that you are still very far away from being a grown man.

Maybe if you lose a few more fights? I now you can do it if you try...
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast