Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Judo Dilemma

Style
    judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Dilemma

Hi Guys,
    I have kind of a dilemma and was hoping to get some advice. I'm in my mid 30's and started judo for about a month now. The first few classes were great and I was enjoying it very much. As I continue taking classes I feel more discouraged. I'm not sure it's like this in other dojo's but when I first joined I was taught basic ukemi from the instructor but not the forward roll I think it's called zenpo kaiten I was hoping the next class sensei would pull me aside and show me but never did I had to watch stuff on the web just to see how it was done. I've also had my partners teach me different techniques and I must have learned 10 different variations of osoto gari they each try to teach me the techniques but very passively. Each class it seems they just demonstrate some techniques really quickly and expect you to pick up on it just by watching without explaining proper form or proper grip. Also the sensei seems more focused on younger students and those that are going to competitions and clearly favors certain students more than others. It may be ok for higher belts but for a beginner like me I'm not sure if I should continue or look for another dojo. Even today I wanted to participate in randori but could not because the students only want to do it with their friends or people they know so I ended up just watching which kind of made me feel left out. Is it like this in all judo dojos? Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by judo12; 9/04/2012 9:43pm at .

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. You may have better luck getting answers to Judo specific questions in the Japanese Martial Arts threads. I would attempt to answer if I had knowledge of the subject matter. I can give you a generic answer: Find a school or gym that better suits your individual needs.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I changed the title to get people to help.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which country are you in? What is the age ranges in the class?

Generally, the standard of Judo teaching varies a great deal. Being taught new techniques in a non-structured way is nothing unusual either, my old dojo was exactly the same, all the newer guys (including me) thought it was a rubbish way to be taught.

All my teachers where 5th or 6th Dan, though that does not mean they knew **** all about teaching and it is the same probably in your place.

Though the randori issue I have not come across, usually the lower grades especially love fighting the new guys, as it is one person they can beat easily :)

So presuming that everything is alright with you, that is odd behavior on their part.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from your description it is hard to tell where the issue lies. if you are a large guy and tend to "spaz" out in randori, then i don't blame people for not wanting to work with you - you are an injury waiting to happen. at a competitive dojo, people avoid unproductive or dangerous practice.

certain old school dojos will not pay much attention to new students until they have shown that they will stick around, so the first few months are a test to see if the student has "heart" and if they stick around, then they are taken more seriously.

not saying that this is the case with your dojo, as i don't have enough facts. have you read the sticky threads about starting judo? they may point to mistakes you have made.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many dojos would not allow you to participate in randori with only one month's practice under your belt. Also starting in early August is odd timing - most clubs do their major intake in early September to coincide with school programs (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere). If your dojo does the same, perhaps you can be placed in a class with other beginners.

The other possibility is that this dojo is a poor fit for beginners. If there are other clubs that fit your schedule, maybe go check them out - September is a good time to get started with another club.

Style
    judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys I appreciate the help and replies. I'm just an average person. I'm about 5'10 and weigh about 155-160 lbs. The adult class consists of younger high school students some upper junior high school and adults. The ranks vary from white all the way to black. Also my son is enrolled in the same dojo. He's 6 and in the children's class. They seem to be great with kids. I'm just frustrated that each class I get a different partner and when I practice the technique I was taught the previous class they tell me it's wrong and I should do it this way. I know each person has their own variation but for a beginner like me it could be kind of confusing. As for randori the upper belts usually want to practice with same or higher rank and the lower ranks usually with their buddies.

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two things with the confused instruction - your understanding is probably not yet at the point where you can discern if you are getting the same advice from a different angle, and also the various students should probably not be instructing you. My advice to you is to practice according to what you have been taught by the sensei, by which I mean the head instructor. If some well-meaning student tells you to do it differently, then just say "sensei said to do it this way". Then they can either shut up or point out how what they're telling you does not conflict with sensei's advice.

Style
    Boxing, Judo, Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, if this sounds harsh but... Judo is not all about making you better. You are one of many in the class trying to get better.

Did you ask the Sensei or any of the senior students to show you the forward roll? (For me, I usually do this before or after class).

Also, if there is a competition coming up, I have seen the schools I've gone to gear the classes to those who are competing. And I was asked not to roll with those competing, because: (1) only I would gain knowledge from that experience and (2) if they did gain something, it would be an injury.

So, in summation, I don't think the class sounds bad (at least from what I'm hearing). You just need a bit of patience, and don't be afraid to ask seniors after and before class if you don't get something.

Best of luck.

Other than that, I would see

Style
    judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again I appreciate the replies. I'm not the one to quit so I think I will hack it out and see how it goes it's just sometimes I feel lost. Anyways I appreciate the advice and will let you know how it goes. Btw are there any videos I should check out that might help? I have the kodokan video and mike swain's judo video.
    Last edited by judo12; 9/05/2012 12:19pm at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last