Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 12:14am

Style: Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    That is actually a Kyokushin form, albeit somewhat unrecognizable.
    Somewhat?

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 12:39am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arskanator View Post
    Somewhat?
    I believe that even in Finland there is this thing known as "sarcasm".
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 1:30am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://youtu.be/qBn8-R3kGcc
    The floppy movements -- the lack of crispness -- the total absence of any sense of range or timing --

You know, I've been on this site for about five years now -- not as long as some, but still, it's half a decade. In those five years, I have seen bad karate. I have seen terrible karate. I have seen godawfully horrific karate -- kyoshu jitsu, Dillman, video game bad guy kata, wheelchair forms, and more. And yet I don't think I have ever seen anything so physically incompetent. Give me Dillman, give me the video game bad guys, give me the Achy Brakey Aikido crew, Elmore, Ashida Kim -- I think I'd put my money on just about anyone against these WMAA karate guys in a fight.

They sure do like applauding each other, though. I guess at least they're a friendly bunch?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 2:05am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that fat pathetic old guy apparently has quite the bio: http://www.wmaa.com/About_Us.php
    "One of his recent exploits is rather amazing. He went on an expedition to Antarctica, the coldest, windiest continent on earth. There, he walked out on a glacier just in uniform in frigid temperatures and freezing wind and demonstrated his form on camera. He is presently a 9th degree black belt and Headmaster of the World Martial Arts Association with 100’s of schools in the United States."

that being the laughable vid from earlier of course

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 5:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Now I actually don't see this as a best practice. I'm just saying it's common and doesn't mean it's a mcdojo. I believe the best practice is to 1) be properly trained and 2) use the best equipment available. Namely mats, and thick ones. Which will still be state of the art hundreds of years from now....
    I think we are pretty much on the same page. Throwing and being thrown in training/demos on a hard floor is a skill, certainly*. The simple fact that it is a very separate skill from actually bouncing an opponent off the Earth is what I'm concerned with. To reiterate, that could be perfectly sound traditional karate, but I wouldn't feel good telling somebody to train at the dojo in the video I linked if their primary concern were self-defense.

*I saw a video years back of a breakfalls kata on a wooden floor that looked to be borderline nonsurvivable. I was, and am, impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 6:50am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like others have said, falling off mats is a little different. Bony parts of the body that we might forget to protect include the ankle, top of the pelvis (iliac crest?) and collarbone. Removing these "speed bumps" in a fall is something I've been interested in.
    At the risk of continuing to out myself as an Ellis Amdur fan-boy, I like how his Ukemi from the Ground Up DVD dealt with this. It's worth the price of admission. It includes "how to", rationale and training drills. link

The systema guys seem to also pay a lot of attention to falling on hardwood. I still like this clip (link). Even the music grew on me!
    Another one I like is Kevin Secours' clips (link) (although all I've seen is his youtube stuff). The application of a back shoulder roll could be debated, but the training helps with front rolls too.

Regarding the falling kata/set on a hardwood floor. I'm sure I've seen the Vee arnis jitsu guys doing one but I can't find an example now.

When I'm teaching people to roll I try to encourage them to "ooze" through when they're learning it from sitting, to get rid of the ballistic element. I'm sure a few people got sick of me saying to be slimey, must think of a new way of saying it.

tl;dr: here are some other examples of what I think is good hardwood floor ukemi
    Last edited by realjanuary; 9/23/2012 6:53am at . Reason: adding "slime"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 7:31am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Watch this 7th Dan give those deadly boards hell!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 10:18am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously what are those things made of? balsa wood glued together?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 5:18pm

Style: Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Israfel View Post
    Seriously what are those things made of? balsa wood glued together?
    With jizz.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2012 9:30pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing that really puzzles me , esp when watching the poor form guys, is HOW can the 7th dan etc etc kicks/punches be soooo poor?? Surely after a certain length of time they would at least develope some accidental crispness or something?? But its like watching first day beginners. How can everyone else applaude the board breaking guy just above?? His technique was just horrible in so many ways!! and hes a fucking 7th dan!!