225260 Bullies, 3528 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 24
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. tenacious666 is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    on the mat
    Posts
    7

    Posted On:
    9/09/2012 3:18am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian jiujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    BJJ and MMA dilema

    Hello bullshido users,
    I'm a 15 year old aspiring MMA practitioner, I have been doing it since I was 12,my gym (legion 13) has recently discovered my ability to grapple they asked me if i could start competing in BJJ only, They told me my training would be free but I have to attend 6 sessions of BJJ per week.I was really happy to have this opportunity so I recently competed in the 155 pound (70 kg) division for the state Brazilian jiujitsu championship and attained gold,now my gym has asked me to compete in the international pan Pacific championship which is great.But do you think I can give up MMA until i'm older and get a base in BJJ first or do MMA exclusively e.g(Rory Macdonald,Carlos Condit,Chris Leben).I don't wan't to be a jack off all trades or a one dimensional submission specialist.What would you do in my situation?

    heres a link to my gym timetable:
    http://www.legion13.com.au/SocialSit...36777801156000

    (I currently do the Intermediate and advanced BJJ on tuesday and thursday rolling on staturday and rolling on sunday)
  2. ashkelon is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    BXL
    Posts
    327

    Posted On:
    9/09/2012 3:46am


     Style: Striking, grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At a young age it's good to learn wrestling and/or judo, it's harder when you're older.
    If you don't want to be a jack of all trades or a sub specialist, what do you want to be?
    A striker?
  3. Tonuzaba is offline
    Tonuzaba's Avatar

    C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    5,598

    Posted On:
    9/09/2012 5:43am

    supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you please link to videos of your competition fights? We love to watch those. Thanks!

    CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

    "Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
  4. erezb is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,276

    Posted On:
    9/09/2012 6:51am


     Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You get a lot of benefits from competitions, you get used to the fear,tension and adrenalin. So any competition experience is good. It seems like you would get a lot of that if you do their wishes. The benefits are; 1.not paying 2. personal guidance and interest in your progression from your coaches. 3. really good grappling base which is great for MMA. 4. A lot of competition experience. 5. a hard and intense schedule (like a fighters schedule).
    The disadvantages; 1. It is better that all your training is in MMA, you will be a better MMA fighter this way. 2. Strikers in MMA are more popular and it will be easyer for you to win the crowd with KO's.
    If money isn't an issue, and if you stay in the regular MMA program you still get a lot of training and guidance than stay on the MMA program, and if anything, strengthen your striking game and standup game (throws) you have to keep in mind that this is show business and you need to be not only a winner but also an exciting fighter.
    I am in no way or form an expert on the matter, you best consult with an MMA trainer not from your gym. This is just my opinion.
  5. ermghoti is offline
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,179

    Posted On:
    9/09/2012 9:11am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree with the disadvantages listed above. You could have three years of free training and competition experience by the time you are 18. I'm sure you can squeeze in a couple half-hour sessions on the heavy bag under the guise of conditioning to keep your striking fundamentals, then whenever you feel you've accomplished as much as you want in BJJ, you could clean up your MMA skillset very quickly. Being thoroughly skilled in submission grappling is very unlikely to hurt you in MMA.

    That, and I suspect your coaches have your best interests at heart, and are likely pushing you in the direction your talents lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
  6. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    9/09/2012 11:30am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    15 is such a young age you could concentrate on grappling get world class great and still have time to get great at all other aspects of MMA as well.

    I think for MMA having a world class base in either wrestling, BJJ or striking is important for long term suceess.
  7. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,140

    Posted On:
    9/09/2012 3:22pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard call
    I typically would say train the skills you want to actually compete in but
    You have a great opportunity here one that you should not let pass.
    1st big thing is you can compete and compete a lot right now. This is a skill in of itself and is one that needs to be honed being a great competitor being use to being on weight use to adrenalin dumps and pressure.
    2nd thing is BJJ is a fundamental skill set of MMA having a solid base in it is needed anyways every single top level guy has put hours in on the mat they may not all be black belts but they have put in a lot of time.
    3rd You have a good opportunity to shine in a place where you are obviously talented it is probably best to go ahead and make use of that as there is really no downside.
  8. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,140

    Posted On:
    9/09/2012 3:24pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    I think for MMA having a world class base in either wrestling, BJJ or striking is important for long term suceess.
    I think the word either is a bit off here its more like you have to have a world class base in 2 out of the 3 and in a few years I am sure its going to be a 3 out of 3 thing as the talent pool keeps growing and the money on the line keeps growing.
  9. selfcritical is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,428

    Posted On:
    9/09/2012 4:21pm


     Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tenacious666 View Post
    Hello bullshido users,
    I'm a 15 year old aspiring MMA practitioner, I have been doing it since I was 12,my gym (legion 13) has recently discovered my ability to grapple they asked me if i could start competing in BJJ only, They told me my training would be free but I have to attend 6 sessions of BJJ per week.I was really happy to have this opportunity so I recently competed in the 155 pound (70 kg) division for the state Brazilian jiujitsu championship and attained gold,now my gym has asked me to compete in the international pan Pacific championship which is great.But do you think I can give up MMA until i'm older and get a base in BJJ first or do MMA exclusively e.g(Rory Macdonald,Carlos Condit,Chris Leben).I don't wan't to be a jack off all trades or a one dimensional submission specialist.What would you do in my situation?

    heres a link to my gym timetable:
    http://www.legion13.com.au/SocialSit...36777801156000

    (I currently do the Intermediate and advanced BJJ on tuesday and thursday rolling on staturday and rolling on sunday)
    Take the offer, concentrate on your grappling, and JOIN YOUR HS WRESTLING TEAM
  10. mike321 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,463

    Posted On:
    9/09/2012 4:36pm


     Style: kenpo, Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Take the offer, concentrate on your grappling, and JOIN YOUR HS WRESTLING TEAM
    Good advice here. As you get back to mma nothing stops you from training and competing exclusively in striking for a year before you go back to mma.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.