Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 11:29am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Israfel View Post
    Yeah the instructors are all pretty awesome in their own different ways and the whole atmosphere makes you feel welcome and respectful. I'm glad I picked this gym to go to and plan on staying here for a long time. Did they let you spar or did you just stick around to watch? They normally frown on sparring with "outsiders", one time this totally inexperienced girl came for a few classes and then started in on one of the advanced girls to spar with her because she "wanted to see what she had"...the girl in question who I have at least a 60 lb weight advantage on who I'm still 100% sure would kick the everloving **** out of me. She politely declined but I thought the whole thing was pretty funny
    Well, the thing is, I came from a meetup.com fitness intro class. However, I have about a year and a half experience training Muay Thai under Dan Rawlings, and they noted I was farther along than the beginners who were just being introduced to the concepts for the first time. After the fitness class ended once of the coaches invited me to stay for the normal class and at the end when they sparred they said I could hop in.

I always have a no ego approach to sparring. So it went well. I went with a few different level of people and got to learn alot from the experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 8:50pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    Well, the thing is, I came from a meetup.com fitness intro class. However, I have about a year and a half experience training Muay Thai under Dan Rawlings, and they noted I was farther along than the beginners who were just being introduced to the concepts for the first time. After the fitness class ended once of the coaches invited me to stay for the normal class and at the end when they sparred they said I could hop in.

I always have a no ego approach to sparring. So it went well. I went with a few different level of people and got to learn alot from the experience.
    That's awesome, glad you enjoyed it. Have you ever gone to/seen/heard anything of that gym off of Florida, Freestyle Muay Thai I think it's called?

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the poster. That said, it would be better to show the big picture. Anyone of us who's done a wood project started with some shitty nail jobs(hmmm, I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere...). Afterwards, however, we got better. That is because of trial and error. It's something we tend to forget about. Our base just isn't built on success, it's built on all those not-quite-successes (don't like to say failure because it isn't failure if you are learning).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 2:54am

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Luckily, I never really had that whole, "I feel completely incompetent," feeling when I was learning a bit of Wrestling at my gym. There were different students between the Wrestling and the Kickboxing classes. In the Kickboxing sparring sessions, we sort of had something like a Sanda ruleset where we could do takedowns and throws. While in the Wrestling class I did get my ass handed to me all the time, I was able to defend against throws and takedowns a lot better after awhile in Kickboxing and eventually I was doing my own throws and takedowns.

Shame I got psoriasis on my foot and had to stop for awhile. Now I look like a grappling dummy again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha I'm like that after TWO years of Judo.

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 3:55pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love it how x2z casually slips in that he's training bjj and mt. No, really, I do. Shows this site works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I love it how x2z casually slips in that he's training bjj and mt. No, really, I do. Shows this site works.
    Oh that's nothing new. I've been training BJJ and MT since I joined the site. Actually to be more accurate I'm not really doing many formal Muay Thai striking classes at the moment.

I am, however making sure to devote at least 20% of my open mat time to drill and spar various striking arts. My wing chun in particular has made leaps and bounds as my sparring partners improve in their own skills.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 6:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai under Dan Rawlings, and they noted I was farther along than the beginners who were just being introduced to the concepts for the first time.
    Oh stop it..

Oh stop it.
    Oh that's nothing new. I've been training BJJ and MT since I joined the site.
    Oh stop it.

Actually to be more accurate I'm not really doing many formal Muay Thai striking classes at the moment.
    Oh stop it.

I am, however making sure to devote at least 20% of my open mat time to drill and spar various striking arts. My wing chun in particular has made leaps and bounds as my sparring partners improve in their own skills.
    Oh stop it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Oh stop it..

Oh stop it. Oh stop it.

Oh stop it.

Oh stop it.
    Well now, bullshido.. you only have yourselves to blame. Every time I log on I see a message asking me why I no post more and inquiring if my keyboard is broken. It was after all my chain punch typing, but I taped it back together with super glue.

Thanks for asking. :)

War Ip man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 9:17pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a BJJ guy, but I can relate to the feeling. Sometimes you just feel like no matter how approach a given technique, or when you go to apply it, it just comes out wrong. And you feel like either a tard or a puss. Just learn to laugh at yourself and keep at it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast