Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 9:13pm

Style: Boxing, Beginner BJJ,

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Discovering my admiration and respect for Judo.

I've always known about Judo. In fact I don't know many people who haven't at least heard of Judo... Besides being an Olympic sport Elvis liked it and he was the king.
    Recently I've began practicing Judo under Nicholas Carelli and his Brother Chris. It all began when i joined my local MMA club to battle a sort of mid life crisis and deal with stress from work/Family.
    I'm not a big guy, but i wouldn't say i was small either- my height is 6'0 and I weigh approximately 215lbs (Being a new dad affords me a luxury of a bad diet :p) I dabbled in wrestling throughout high school and a little bit more later in life as well as acclimated myself in the basics of BJJ so I thought i knew what to expect when i put on my slightly snug (damn pizza) Gi.
    I've never been so fascinated and humbled by a martial art in a long time. I've developed a sort of affair with looking at the ceiling as I get tossed on my butt over in over in excitement at this fantastic style of grace and patience. I just wanted to share this with the Bullshido Judo community and express my appreciation for Judo. This truly is a wonderful Martial Art and my only regret is not discovering it sooner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2012 8:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope to find this out for myself this coming Friday. Although I have no experience in martial arts, or wrestling and im as tall as you buy much thinner, so basically I hope I don't break in two lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2012 5:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its good that you found an activity that is both beneficial to your health and mental state.
    Now all you got to do is to fix your Nutrition plan to get the best out of your workout.

Posted On:
    9/16/2012 4:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judo rules

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 12:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I love about judo as well as being an effective martial art, is the history and philosophy that go with it too. With regard to history, the way that Kano removed moves from the traditional jujitsu, where you must be far stronger than your opponent for it to work. I'm not denying strength can give you an edge, but as someone who's been doing it for just under a year I've experienced first hand that it works by facing black belts who I outweigh by a factor of 1.5. It's quite well known that Kano was able to defeat his old sensei when he was able to throw him with ease and not be thrown back.

With regard to philosophy I think it all revolves around respecting your opponent. The etiquette is respectful but not overbearing, and because of how it was set up everything taken out of jujitsu was done to respect your opponent which has only led to it being made more effective. For example, some of the very dangerous throws from jujitsu which if executed properly would kill someone or seriously injure someone (even on the mat)were taken out. This respects him in two ways. Firstly, you don't risk injuring him or her. Secondly, if you have to do the move in slow motion because otherwise it's deadly you can't practice it with resistance and can't rely on it in competition and vice versa which means that you don't waste each others' time by learning it, or deluding yourselves into learning it and trying it out and realising you can't do it.

It's a great martial art, it promotes a great attitude to training that can be applied to wider life as well.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
    I've developed a sort of affair with looking at the ceiling as I get tossed on my butt over in over in excitement at this fantastic style of grace and patience.
    you should adjust that viewing angle. the ceiling is going to stay the same, and you'll get more benefit from looking at the knot of your own belt (will help you tuck your head and roll.)

welcome to judo! it's been fantastic to me, and i agree that fixing your diet is the next step you should take.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2012 11:12pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I played after class tonight with a Judo guy the same size. I felt like a ragdoll. I couldn't get remotely close to breaking his grips and I'm very happy that I've been practicing breakfalls.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/21/2012 4:09am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i remember very fondly doing judo as a lanky 16yo. i too spent most of my time looking at the ceiling. the attitude of judoka and their approach to fighting is great. i also had the luck to train under someone who was a total badass, and didnt apologise for the curry stains on his shirt at training (he had the same eastenders accent as most of my family so im assuming he was a massive curry pisshead as well)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 9:19pm

Style: Boxing, Beginner BJJ,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What type of diet would you suggest to help me better acclimate myself into Judo?

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 11:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is a beautiful art.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast