Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 3:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hayastan Grappling as first grappling art

Do any of you have any experience or opinions on the hayastangrappling system? I liked the idea of itbecause it seems to combine a lot of the Judo techniques with sambo and thereis a school fairly close to me.

I'm 38 and have only have experience with taekwondo which Ihave practiced in about three years.

My goals are to getout of the house and to enjoy the company of my fellow human beings I amcurrently out of work and although the money is not a problem spending so muchtime alone in my head is not good for me.

I would also like to learn so basic self defense skillswhich I think will help me feel more confident in other aspects of my life.

I am in pretty good shape, but would like to lose about 20pounds and running is boring.

The school also offers a kickboxing program which includestakedowns and takedown defense which I might add at sometime.

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say go for it and see if you like it. Its a reputable system and you'd get your interaction and exercise in there somewhere.

Administrator

Achievements:
    OverdriveTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsThree Friends3 months registered

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 4:41pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    Do any of you have any experience or opinions on the hayastangrappling system? I liked the idea of itbecause it seems to combine a lot of the Judo techniques with sambo and thereis a school fairly close to me.

I'm 38 and have only have experience with taekwondo which Ihave practiced in about three years.

My goals are to getout of the house and to enjoy the company of my fellow human beings I amcurrently out of work and although the money is not a problem spending so muchtime alone in my head is not good for me.

I would also like to learn so basic self defense skillswhich I think will help me feel more confident in other aspects of my life.

I am in pretty good shape, but would like to lose about 20pounds and running is boring.

The school also offers a kickboxing program which includestakedowns and takedown defense which I might add at sometime.

Gokor is the best, although he doesn't teach all the classes. He's always been forward and supportive and the atmosphere in his Van Nuys studio is very welcoming. What else would you like to know?

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 5:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was not familiar with the system before seeing the school.

I just wanted to makesure the system was something legit and not something I needed to have a background in grappling to get something out of.

The school is an affiliate in Charlotte, NC from the websiteit appears the head instructor goes to California often and Gokor comes to Charlotte about twice a year for the HayastanGrappling challenge and to give a seminar. KaroParisyan was there last month .

I'm going to give them a call a try a class next week.
    Last edited by ender1; 9/07/2012 5:02pm at . Reason: Added spaces to make easier to read

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 6:08pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Gokor. Not well but we have a lot of mutual friends. I can't say enough good things about him or his school. They've produced several high level MMA fighters, and Judo competitors. He's also a super nice, down to Earth guy. You can't go wrong there.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is where Ronda Rousey trains, right?

Ronda Rousey, 'Nuff said!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Titanium laced beauty

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 10:50pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gokor is incredible. He is an amazing grappler who has also produced more than one champion in more than a few disciplines.

I doubt you could go wrong at one of his affiliates.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/08/2012 1:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of curiosity how expensive is the affiliate? I know that the one in Van Nuys is fairly pricey although also very good and if you want to be a top level competitor very well worth it.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/08/2012 8:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The place is fairly expensive price varies by how many classes you want to take per month. About $12 per 45 minute class based on a six month contract. There are no testing, signup or association fees.

Within five miles the is a BJJ place for $80.00 per month for twice as much instruction. It is taught by a brown belt who seems good.

There is also a small Judo/BJJ school which is only $55.00 for 6 days a week but it is small and doesn't have AC.

The main selling point for the hayastan grappling is the morning classes. I am out of work and would prefer to spend my nights at home with my wife who works during the day.

I found the schools facebook page and it looks like they have some pro fighters fight for xtreme fighting champions.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 6:30pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, awesome instructor who cranks out world-class competitors in multiple disciplines? Uhh... Hell yes! I've heard great things from people I know who've visited down there. Lots of talented clubmates to work out with as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast