Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 4:37pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok well let me clarify my post as to say this.

He is a bjj whitebelt as given by my instructor Marcello Monteiro whom of which felt that he was not worthy of any other rank than that of white. No black belt given.

I am not questioning ability to grapple. I am merely trying to find out how legit this KOBK jiu jitsu is.

I guess my post went off topic a little but the main idea is....

What is KOBK? Is it legit?

Like have stated from the beginning with my posts....

I am merely trying to find out if I am in the wrong for feeling like this may be unethical.

Again thanks for the patience guys. I am new to this whole dig up dirt on a guy type thing.

If KOBK is legit and so is his bb Ill walk in his gym and apologize to him myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    I guess to me the salient points are at this point:

(1) Does this school only teach BJJ?

(2) Does Rodriguez actually teach all of the classes or just fundamentals?

(3) How does Stockman play into teaching/quality control?
    Rodrigues is the only jiu jitsu instructor.

Along with a guy that is ATT level 1 certified who teaches mma.

Stockman comes to town from time to time to do seminars. Freddy has said he has no interest in ever attaining bjj rank even while training under Alan.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 4:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, what you stated was "hmm is he a fake." So, when people read "FAKE," first and foremost in their minds is his legitimacy when reading every post. Everyone is being harsh because you have shown nothing that proves he is fake

There were(?) American Top Team Affiliates that teach the level one MMA program. These people were white belts in BJJ or GJJ. Some instructors only did the seminars and intensive training. Also, some of these people were TKDers or JJJ practitioners. Per your example, they taught the basics of the system.

We have this come up quite a bit. If the KOBK JJ is Japanese jiujitsu he has every RIGHT to wear his BB when teaching that curriculum. The fact he puts on a white belt when learning BJJ is proper etiquette IMO. If he is teaching in his school, as long as he is honest, I don't give a **** if he never takes of his BB when teaching the grappling basics. Some people will have an issue, but it still doesn't make him a fake.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 4:52pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TskTskTsk View Post
    Rodrigues is the only jiu jitsu instructor.

Along with a guy that is ATT level 1 certified who teaches mma.

Stockman comes to town from time to time to do seminars. Freddy has said he has no interest in ever attaining bjj rank even while training under Alan.
    MABS is not for a semantics based argument if you are going to parse information in this fashion. What you did is very disingenuous..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 4:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok enough said you feel that I am in the wrong so I will retract said statements and move on with my life.

Thanks for clarification.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 5:20pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok enough said you feel that I am in the wrong so I will retract said statements and move on with my life.

Thanks for clarification.
    If that's what you got out of my post, it explains why you think he is a fake.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I am misunderstanding you It is Fake. I came on here for clarification on weather or not his KOBK was legit and if that qualified him to wear it while teaching white to blue curriculum in BJJ. It was posted as a question not a fact that he is bs. It didnt seem right to me so i figured I would ask somewhere else.

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 7:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting to see some discussion from my neck of the woods. I heard their radio commercial and it said they teach Carlson Gracie Jiu Jitsu, so it seems to me they are promoting themselves as a BJJ school. I'm not really sure why a white belt would open an academy when there are already a couple of blackbelts and a handful of purples teaching in the area, but to each his own. Seems like a lot of places crop up that try to purposefully muddy the waters between BJJ and jiu jitsu. Someone versed in BJJ would know the right questions to ask and weed through any confusion, but the average Joe is unlikely to decipher between all the various forms of jiu jitsu. That's my main problem when guys popup wearing a Blackbelt from one art while teaching another, it's inherently misleading. If someone shows up to train Brazilian Jiu Jiu Jitsu, and the instructor is a Blackbelt in jiu jitsu...well, it's easy to see how someone can get duped, or not investigate further.

It seems in this case the instructor has been cleared to teach BJJ basics through his instructor. I don't see a problem with that. However, if your area of expertise is in KBKO jiu jitsu, no idea what that even is, why not be a KBKO school? I have a hard time believing the confusion it creates isn't intentional. I know if my instructor caught me teaching BJJ in my tkd red belt instead of my BJJ white belt, I'd catch a serious ear chewing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 10:52pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I am misunderstanding you It is Fake. I came on here for clarification on weather or not his KOBK was legit and if that qualified him to wear it while teaching white to blue curriculum in BJJ. It was posted as a question not a fact that he is bs. It didnt seem right to me so i figured I would ask somewhere else.
    Weird, so your idea is to put someone in your former position? Interesting. You are misunderstanding the entire thread. Get proof of the claims, screenshots of the emails and anything to back up what you are trying to infer from his comments on Facebook. People have been nice to you even though at least one of feels there is an agenda.

See above for my comment on your use of "fake" and no adding a question mark doesn't change what people read.
    I know if my instructor caught me teaching BJJ in my tkd red belt instead of my BJJ white belt, I'd catch a serious ear chewing.

You have PROOF of KBOK and what it is? If so, please post it to the thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2012 9:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is Fake I dont want to get into a debate over semantics. I came here to ask if this was something that ruffled anyone elses feathers.

As for having an agenda.... Yes I have an agenda. My agenda is to do my best to uphold the standards and morals set forth to me by my instructor. I have no monetary agenda or business agenda in this particular situation.

I posted this thread while I was angry and you know what I dont care if hes teaching bjj. Spread the sport. Thats great. I will visit his academy sometime next week. If his instructor says he can teach fundamentals then he can do it how he sees fit. I dont care what belt he wears while teaching the class.

The truth about this whole situation is this is a guy that I have been supportive of him trying to get his academy off the ground multiple times by helping advertise seminars hes held to my students. This is his third attempt following two previously failed attempts. I have had no problems with him other than this slight misunderstanding about what belt he's wearing.

Im gonna resume my normal life and STFU and train. I love BJJ, my team, my instructors, and respect those who step up to train.

Thanks for your time and consideration.
    Consider it case closed.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast