Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 7:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, you started because of the bullying or after?

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 8:52pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My fascination with martial arts probably began because I was being bullied when I was real young. My early years were in a lower socio economic area, not quite Houso (Aussie government housing), more lower end of the working class. I was one of only a handful of white kids in my school, and it felt like I was the ONLY one without older siblings, cousins, etc. It made me a target, there was no repercussions for picking on me, no older relatives to step in. I would have the **** kicked out of me on the regular at my first primary school. Went to Judo and didn't see the application because my young mind equated martial arts in the movies, punching and kicking, with defending yourself. Took karate after I left that school and moved to a different area but didn't pursue for a couple of reasons.

At the new school there wasn't any bullying (except my fourth grade teacher, who bullied me mercilessly but that's another story and akin to child abuse) and I had begun to get bigger, stronger. I returned to my old area and it was amusing to see the kids who had picked on me squirm when they realised I was bigger and stronger than them. However, inside I was most certainly still afraid of them, I didn't see myself as big or strong. I'd get in small schoolyard scraps and win mostly because I was big and strong, but I still had no confidence in myself.

It's funny, I remember this one day when I was maybe 8-9 and had organised this fight with the resident crazy dumb kid, every boy in the grade was ready for this fight to occur and we went at it. Even though I was bigger and stronger than him, I had little faith in myself and was being handled until he had me up against the door and one of my mates sang out, "watch out Nick (the other guy), he's strong!" And suddenly I was a giant and destroyed* him.

When I moved to high school I got in a couple of scraps that occurred when dudes were trying to show they were the tough guy of the grade. I showed I wasn't to be fucked with on a few occasions, but that was more just the fact that I had come to the end of my rope and lost my mind. Probably thinking I could fight because of the brief stint in karate, but mostly just turning rabid and throwing haymakers with no regard for my own safety.

My interest in boxing and martial arts began to blossom around this time, but I was also beginning to do drugs and was playing rugby union, which meant I was hitting the gym and hanging around with the bad crowd.

A bit later I started Muay Thai because I was an avid reader of Blitz and The Fist (boxing rag mag). This had the effect of basically making me think I was a bad arse. And others thought so as well. Then again, I was also drinking and drugging and had become the "bad crowd", rather than just hanging with them.

I can say that I pursued martial arts for the magic bullet of self defence in my earlier years, which probably is very much in line with the proposed theory of this bloke. I was broken, even though I was feared, I was also afraid. I aligned myself with violence, even though I hated it. I found myself consistently in violent situations that I had put myself in. I have since realised that I thought I had to prove myself, that I had taken the "face your fears" motto too literally and sought out situations where I would be called upon to face violence.

It was a shitty existence, believe me. Especially when it escalated and I was surrounded by drugs, weapons and REALLY bad people. In order to extricate myself from that position, I took a job at Australia's most violent night spot and saw worse violence than ever before.

But then I found this site and was directed to BJJ. I gained a desire to test myself in an environment that didn't risk my life. I found a quiet peace within myself that I didn't need to be intimidating, that I didn't need to put myself in violent situations. I saw that testing yourself against someone didn't have to carry the risk of a knife or gun being pulled, a bottle being smashed over the head.

My dad said to me last year when I told him I was dedicating my life to BJJ and MT that I "didn't have to do that anymore, that need to learn martial arts stems from your childhood bullies, you can be a nice guy". I explained to him that indeed, my initial desire to learn martial arts stemmed from fear and self preservation, but this dedicating of my life to martial arts comes from self betterment and a longing to achieve something using the tools I have been provided in my lifetime.

My experience is that those who compete in martial arts are actually very well balanced because they know what they want in life and that those who do martial arts with "magic bullet" tendencies are the ones that are broken.
    Last edited by battlefields; 9/06/2012 8:56pm at .
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 11:55pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went back and watched all three of these video. There are at least that many, along with lots of episodes crying about Ron Paul's lost presidency bid, and more.

I hadn't quite grasped just how emotionally upset this guy is right now. Comparing everyone to vultures over the Grand Canyon...what the **** is he blabbing about if not completely on the verge of tears.

He's an intellectual clearly shellshocked by the amount of trolling he's getting.

It's all so....so....what's the word...

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/07/2012 12:01am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 12:35am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I went back and watched all three of these video. There are at least that many, along with lots of episodes crying about Ron Paul's lost presidency bid, and more.

I hadn't quite grasped just how emotionally upset this guy is right now. Comparing everyone to vultures over the Grand Canyon...what the **** is he blabbing about if not completely on the verge of tears.

He's an intellectual clearly shellshocked by the amount of trolling he's getting.

It's all so....so....what's the word...
    He's a pseudo-intellectual. I love how he tells people they fail to make a case based on their anecdotes and then uses his own anecdotes to try to "prove" his points. Logical fallacies used against him are just that - his own are proof.

Incidentally, my fiancee who is a MSW who specializes in public policy, flipped her **** when she heard that women could avoid violence by choosing a better type of companion. Apparently choosing a different type of companion may be a little more difficult when the person being violent towards you is a husband/father or if you're homeless.

But these aren't problems when you live in suburbia.

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 12:47am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one and only time someone tried to bully me in high school (I was year 7, he was year 8) was by a tae Kwon do brown belt. I had 2yrs of shotokan and 2yrs of judo judo by this stage. He tried pushing me into a corner, then punched me so I hip tossed him into a brick wall and when I punched him his head got sandwiched between my fist and said wall.

Funnily enough we both got a Saturday detention for fighting where we got along really well.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 12:51am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, if this guy is a psychologist, someone should accuse him of affecting Freudian Infallibility on this issue. Because that's what it looks like to me. (For those of you who don't know, the Viennese confidence-trickster who is regarded as the father of modern psychology in the mainstream media is regarded as a quack by most modern-day practitoners of psychology. He liked to set things up so that he would always turn out to be right, which is the basis of the whole psuedoscience of psychoanalysis.)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 1:01am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Holy hell, who's watching this guy slowly respond to Youtube commenters for half an hour of their life?

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JohnKenner, thanks for starting what turns out to be a very interesting thread...

Violence in the childhood of grown up martial artists is an important topic of discussion and selfanalysis, I believe, and there are points this guy (that I've seen the first time here) is right about.

I was bullied as a kid as well, had some violence at home too and lived in a fantasy world of how I would/could defend myself against anybody attacking me (Wing Tsun anyone?). For years I had trouble seeing myself as a big, (relatively) strong guy.

Then I found BJJ and gradually I started to train just because it makes me feel good physically and mentally. Sometimes I compete, and I longer have self-defense scenario fantasies.

Still, sometimes I cannot help but wonder, why exactly are we spending so much time, sweat and blood on the mats when we could be doing something else, maybe less painful?... :-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 2:02am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    Still, sometimes I cannot help but wonder, why exactly are we spending so much time, sweat and blood on the mats when we could be doing something else, maybe less painful?... :-)
    Because we are designed for it.

"Only a surfer knows the feeling" is something I heard when I was a kid and when my surfer mates talk about the divine oneness they feel with nature when they are surfing, I trot it out like I'm a sage. The thing is that the "feeling" is something we get from training, well, I'm sure I get it anyway. The "feeling" is a quietened mind, a meditative state where we just are. At first we might get a millisecond of it in training, but that soon grows to seconds, then minutes and if what I am told is correct, hours and indefinite at higher levels. It's drug like and you can trust me on that. Everything we do is releasing endorphins, from the joy in a well executed technique to the pain just prior to tapping. We free our minds from the daily grind and find ourselves.

I'm no surfer, I love the surf, but I don't have the inclination to take a board into the water at all those times required to get good at surfing. But I will get on the mat to get good at that. My upbringing, my history has brought me here, just as a surfer's upbringing and history brought them to the beach (or wavepool, for those not near a beach).
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 3:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do better at combat sports than ball sports and am thefore rewarded for my efforts rather than frustrated.

What is with this dr phil ****.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast