Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Ku'i Lima Kenpo-Jujitsu,
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Injuring Sparring Partners

I was the asshole on Monday, and it sucked.

Our school spars hard once a week (Mondays) at our Kenpo-Jujitsu class in striking and sport jujitsu (depending on rank and skill level. New folk and the very young begin with point sparring, moving into continuous and then sport jujitsu once they know how to move well). Sparring in gear with another upperclassmen, and ended up breaking his nose. It was a complete accident--the strike was intended for the side of his head, and he faded back with his hands down....foolishness--but that didn't make me feel less of an asshole. It's so important to take care of each other out there, and when you're a bigger fellow, you need to take especial care. No one wants to spar with the dude that hurts people.
    Anyway, I figured I'd post about it because of something one of our younger yudansha said--basically that "That was awesome"...:DudeComeOn: No....ain't nothing awesome about hurting your sparring partner. I felt terrible, and did my best to help him get it straightened and iced up...but I was still that guy who hurt someone. I just want any of the younger fellows here to be aware that sparring is meant to develop skill-we do it to learn and build, not to hurt. I worry that some of the younger gents go into sparring thinking winning and injuring are the same thing. I spoke with the younger gentlemen at my dojo and used my shitty example to explain how this was not something to Crow about...I asked them pointedly which one would like to spar next. No takers, of course, and it told them that was the point! I would miss opportunities to spar or face reluctant opponents for a little while... and this was an accidental injury, that occurred within the ruleset while sparring with intensity, but without intent to injure. I told them to imagine how it would be if I hurt someone on purpose, and who would want to spar with me then? No one, and I wouldn't learn ****.
    I think it got through to them, but thought I'd share on the off chance that someone reads who didn't understand that sparring isn't about injuring ; intense application of worthwhile technique is going to result in some injuries, but these are an unfortunate side-effect, and not the point. Don't be an asshole, my friends.
    Last edited by CBradford; 9/21/2012 11:23am at .

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't people develop movement better if they started with, and continued, continuous sparring?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    Ku'i Lima Kenpo-Jujitsu,
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not in my own experience--having breaks in the sparring bouts, especially for the young ones, keeps techniques cleaner, and allows them to work on their game, whatever it may be that day. With kids and new folk, dumping them into continuous before getting their feet wet with point leads to sloppy-ass brawling...they close up, and whoever has the advantage just keeps pressing without working what was taught that day, be it combinations, head movement, whatever. Once they have their heads on proper with point we move into continuous.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I will disagree with the intent of your first post.

Style
    Ku'i Lima Kenpo-Jujitsu,
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disagree away; I hadn't realized that in addition to being a knowledgeable poster and martial-artist, you were a mind-reading wizard who could determine my intent for me. Delightful.

Sarcasm aside, I'm sure years in the bullshido trenches--years as a moderator of anything on the internets--can leave one a bit cynical. So, fine. I thought it would be an interesting thing to talk about, and perhaps useful. I went out of the way to leave out anything self-aggrandizing...but it's the internet. Can't please everyone.
    Last edited by CBradford; 9/21/2012 12:19pm at . Reason: terrible phone-spelling.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** happens in sparring, my eyes get poked my balls get squished, joints get hyper extended. I have headbutted/kneeded/elbowed in all sorts of unpleasant places. You have 2 heavy bodys trying to impose their will on each other accidents are going to happen. Its part of doing a combat sport. Does it suck sure does but its expected.

Style
    Ku'i Lima Kenpo-Jujitsu,
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    **** happens in sparring, my eyes get poked my balls get squished, joints get hyper extended. I have headbutted/kneeded/elbowed in all sorts of unpleasant places. You have 2 heavy bodys trying to impose their will on each other accidents are going to happen. Its part of doing a combat sport. Does it suck sure does but its expected.
    True, **** happens. It just sucks, especially when you give/ receive an injury that affects you going to work in the morning, or gets in the way of training.

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Post videos of your style seems interesting...

Style
    Ku'i Lima Kenpo-Jujitsu,
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you....I'll have to take some.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I injured a (smaller) opponent in a stickfight with a vertical shot to the right shoulder when he opened up, but he kept going and went on to beat me in undebatable fashion. I'm friends with him on Facebook, so I came to learn he was injured later.

A few months down the line, he mentioned his PT/recovery routine and parameters, and I felt like crap that I was the one who caused it. A few months after that, he posted a pic of how he sleeps, with this caption: "I realize that this looks like some childs 'pillow fort', but it is my half of the bed. Because of my shoulder, I've had to sleep sitting up for over the past year. There is quite a skill to this...and complete exhaustion is necessary. Which is why I'm down for an hour and back up for 3, then back down for 3 hours. So if I'm grumpy to you, you will now know why :)"

God, I felt awful after that. He just posted that on Wednesday, almost a whole year after the fight. I explained again that I'm really sorry, and he said this: "I'm touched by your care and kindness. But you shouldn't feel bad, we are both adults and know what we were getting ourselves into. It was a good fight and I harbor no blame. I am fortunate enough to have a supportive family that allows for my 'craziness' and the injuries that come along with it."

I think that's the right attitude to bring to training injuries. One of you may have done the technique that did the damage, but it takes 2 to tango and if there's no ill will you should let it go.

That incident made me think of "tough guys" here like RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY who boast about hundreds of street fights where they play for keeps and cripple their opponents. That would be quite a mental burden to bare, if any of those stories were actually true.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last