Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 12:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Seeking legit Tai Chi in San Diego

hi and thanks in advance

I'm 22 years old, looking for legitament tai chi classes to take in San Diego CA, possibly with a legit sifu with some linieage or something along those lines. Also im more interested in the martial arts side definitely some teaching with a full raw system. Im interested in learning Kung Fu also with the same guidelines, I don't want to settle for less. Anyone have any guidance for me?

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 5:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OhhRomeo View Post
    hi and thanks in advance

I'm 22 years old, looking for legitament tai chi classes to take in San Diego CA, possibly with a legit sifu with some linieage or something along those lines. Also im more interested in the martial arts side definitely some teaching with a full raw system. Im interested in learning Kung Fu also with the same guidelines, I don't want to settle for less. Anyone have any guidance for me?
    Explain what YOU mean by raw and martial side first.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are your goals in tai chi and kung fu? Why tai chi + kung fu instead of something else?

If I were looking to learn tai chi in San Diego (again), I'd probably try to learn from Master Asr in Balboa Park (Chen style, really cool guy), or from Mike Gomez at Sunset Cliffs (sometimes he trains FMA with us and his martial arts are very good, but its like he speaks in riddles). Neither of them are commercial teachers though, so its not like you can just walk up to their dojo. They both teach outside.

White Dragon Schools teach tai chi and choy li fut, and those who are interested can get into sanshou too, but I'd avoid them because they're expensive, commercial, and have a martial arts culture I don't really care for. Plus they started advertising like they're an MMA school, but they're not. But, they do teach tai chi with push hands and martial applications, and have done well in push hands competition, and that actually puts their tai chi at quite a higher level than most San Diego tai chi (which is mostly the old person exercise-only kind). On the other hand, there are only a few teachers in the org that I'd really care to learn push hands from.

If I were you, I'd try to track down a diverse push hands group in a park or something and go from there.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 6:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Benjamin Pang Jeng Lo of SF teaches TC as a martial art - no, not cage fighting TC or something, but the applications make sense as a ma. He studied under Cheng Manching for a couple decades. I'll check to see if any sr students are in SD.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 12:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Benjamin Pang Jeng Lo of SF teaches TC as a martial art - no, not cage fighting TC or something, but the applications make sense as a ma. He studied under Cheng Manching for a couple decades. I'll check to see if any sr students are in SD.
    I asked Ben's guy and he replied:

"No Ben Lo students that I know of in San Diego. The Cheng Man-ching guy in San Diego was Abraham Liu. He was an incredibly cultivated gentleman and a former general in the Chinese army (the one that lost to Mao). He's ancient and left but one good student that I know of named Chris Luth. I think that Luth is still in San Diego. Notably in the lower Cal. area is Anthony Ho. Mr. Ho is a Wu stylist, purportedly a terrible teacher but one of the few Taiji guys in the U.S. who is also a skilled martial artist. You can check out his stuff on youtube. A number of my honcho classmates have checked him out and all say that he's the real deal."
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 12:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anthony Ho looks good:

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 1:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I probably shouldn't let it get to me, but guys like the OP ask and I know enuf people to find out the answer so I take the time and make the effort (thank god for internetty) and make a post, as does Perm, and what does OP do? Oh well, pearls before swine and all that

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OhhRomeo View Post
    hi and thanks in advance

Suck my dick.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    I probably shouldn't let it get to me, but guys like the OP ask and I know enuf people to find out the answer so I take the time and make the effort (thank god for internetty) and make a post, as does Perm, and what does OP do? Oh well, pearls before swine and all that
    Think of it this way- even if this person doesn't come back, this could be useful if others looking for tai chi in San Diego decide to do some Googling.

Posted On:
    9/21/2012 5:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung fu tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Julian Tai Chi

If you can get to Julian I think I can give you what what you are looking for. I do get to SD occasionaly, so maybe we could meet up there.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast