Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 11:18pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Therein lies the rub.

Hello Greece, can we play too?

I think the entitlements are an issue but I also think we need to get a handle on government cronyism, lack of regulation, "free" trade, and subsidized businesses. I think massive amounts of wealth is being taken from wage earners and being transferred to the wealthy via government intervention. I also think the idea of taxing the rich is a distraction from this. Why should the middle class want money in the hands of the wealthy taxed when the wealthy should not have had that money in the first place?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    I think the entitlements are an issue but I also think we need to get a handle on government cronyism, lack of regulation, "free" trade, and subsidized businesses. I think massive amounts of wealth is being taken from wage earners and being transferred to the wealthy via government intervention. I also think the idea of taxing the rich is a distraction from this. Why should the middle class want money in the hands of the wealthy taxed when the wealthy should not have had that money in the first place?

The concept of shifting money around, rich to poor, poor to middle class and all of that is pointless.
    Kind of like giving all those bastards in 3rd class on the Titanic upgrades to first class for free after the ship plows into an iceberg.

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 11:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 11:46pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I think the shift of wealth from middle class to rich is part of why we are heading towards an iceberg. "free" trade led to linking vastly different economies together. We got rid of financial regulations like Glass steagal that had an amazing run at keeping finance stable. We subsidize all sorts of major businesses. The wealth transfer might even be the iceberg.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 1:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I think the shift of wealth from middle class to rich is part of why we are heading towards an iceberg. "free" trade led to linking vastly different economies together. We got rid of financial regulations like Glass steagal that had an amazing run at keeping finance stable. We subsidize all sorts of major businesses. The wealth transfer might even be the iceberg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	middlee.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	13668Middle class, roughly 40 to 120K income has dropped ten percent in the last twenty years.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 3:28am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    there doesn't seem to be anyone anywhere near the middle.
    Actually, the Republicans are on the right, and the Democrats are in the middle. The problem in the USA is that there's nobody on the left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 4:09am

Style: American Kenpo, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Actually, the Republicans are on the right, and the Democrats are in the middle. The problem in the USA is that there's nobody on the left.
    When there is no left side, the middle becomes the extreme left for anyone interrested.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 4:20am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the entitlements are an issue but I also think we need to get a handle on government cronyism, lack of regulation, "free" trade, and subsidized businesses.
    These are all aspects that need attention.
    I think massive amounts of wealth is being taken from wage earners and being transferred to the wealthy via government intervention.
    The majority of wealth being transferred from wage earners, is going to those who choose not to go out and earn wages of their own (back to entitlements).
    I also think the idea of taxing the rich is a distraction from this. Why should the middle class want money in the hands of the wealthy taxed when the wealthy should not have had that money in the first place?
    This part of your post kind of puzzles me; if you are referring to ill-gotten gains, I agree 100%. If this is about capitalism or free-enterprise, I cannot agree completely. Many of the super-rich grew their wealth from government contracts which were awarded due to cronyism, nepotism, and outright corruption.

Most contractors (or vendors) will tell you that their biggest customer is the government. If the contracts are legit (fair bidding process, following the rules and providing what they invoice for), I have no problem with that. Just my thoughts on this.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 5:34am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Plausible. I am hopeful that this will not come to pass, but would not be taken off guard it if does. Can anyone think of a viable candidate? Of course it is too late now, the battle lines have been drawn, but does anyone have an someone in mind that could fix this mess we're in?

This lesser of two evils **** is wearing me thin.
    Clone this man x435 + 100 +1?

Used to be that a civil servant (on whatever level) made less but had job security. Now government work pays better, has better benefits to the grave and has better job security.

Government got a whole lot better. My high school graduate sister is due to retire at 53 with full benefits. Seems they can add five years to her time in service.

Last numbers I heard bandied about were that 1 in 10 people work for the government at some level. That was, I'm guessing, 15 years ago.

Perhaps this country/world needs to implode economically and start over. Perhaps that's the plan after all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 6:17am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Atlas is Shrugging.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast