Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 7:58am

Style: Judo N00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Speed Training

Hey Guys,

I've been training Judo for a few months now, and I'm really getting into it. I'm hoping to start competing soon (so far money problems and injuries have made me put that off), and I was looking for some extra training to help me increase my agility and explosiveness.

I am a bigger guy (106kg, or about 233 pounds), so I know step one is working off some of that weight. (Legs and arms fairly lean, just mainly left in the middle).

Any suggestions for particular exercises or drills to help would be great. I'm trying to put together a serious training regiment for days I dont have Judo.

As a side note, I have to thank you guys, if it weren't for this site I probably never would have even tried Judo. Now I'm practically addicted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 8:16am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Squats....lots of em.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 9:31am

Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uchi komi is one of the best things that you can do for drills. It will help build to muscle memory for the throws and it is a great exercise. Start of slow to get the proper technique. You can do this on your own with a bike tyre inner tube. They will help you get the right pull while doing the entry.

Outside of that, any body weight exercises and anything that will strengthen your core. That will help to prevent future injuries and it will help your balance as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 9:35am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    running is great for your endurance. for judo i would suggest going on 30-40 minute runs that focus on intervals (jog, sprint, walk) for instance... 5 min jog, 1 minute sprint, 1 minute walk... repeat for 30-40 min. you need explosive energy in judo, and interval training can help with that.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 9:49am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look into bodyweight squats (AKA hindu squats), judo/divebomber pushups, box jumps, pull-ups. Anything for cardio is good but a lot of it will lean you out too much - three 30-45 minute sessions/week is good.

If you want to train with weights, whole body exercises done with light enough weight to allow for explosive movement is where you want to be. You don't want to be grinding through your reps, rather you want to be accelerating the bar. Snatches, squats to press, cleans are all good for judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Uchi komi is one of the best things that you can do for drills. It will help build to muscle memory for the throws and it is a great exercise. Start of slow to get the proper technique. You can do this on your own with a bike tyre inner tube. They will help you get the right pull while doing the entry.
    I actually have a few resistance bands lying around somewhere, will they be fine for uchi komi? I take Uchi Komi fairly seriously when at training, I'll add them to the home routine as well.

I do need to add weights & squats back in to my training, been focusing too much on cardio to lose some of this weight and to keep up in Randori.

I'll need to weight for shoulder injury to heal before some of the bodyweight exercises & weights but I'll have a go at that interval running, thanks for the suggestion.

Posted On:
    9/16/2012 4:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Look into bodyweight squats (AKA hindu squats), judo/divebomber pushups, box jumps, pull-ups. Anything for cardio is good but a lot of it will lean you out too much - three 30-45 minute sessions/week is good.

If you want to train with weights, whole body exercises done with light enough weight to allow for explosive movement is where you want to be. You don't want to be grinding through your reps, rather you want to be accelerating the bar. Snatches, squats to press, cleans are all good for judo.
    +1 on this one

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    9/16/2012 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brend0_ View Post
    I actually have a few resistance bands lying around somewhere, will they be fine for uchi komi? I take Uchi Komi fairly seriously when at training, I'll add them to the home routine as well.
    I've been told that it's not a good idea to do solo uchi-komis until you can do them reasonably well with a partner. You'll end up learning them wrong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 2:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I've been told that it's not a good idea to do solo uchi-komis until you can do them reasonably well with a partner. You'll end up learning them wrong.
    Oh ok hadn't heard that one. Might have a chat to my coach about this also then, see what his opinion on the matter is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 2:14pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a bigger guy than you but I'm reasonably quick, I put it down to doing Tabata style sprints more than anything else:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...thod_perfected

I personally find them good because they get you used to the right sort of rapid movement (the sort where your already exhausted when trying to do it) and it helps enormously with the cardio side of Judo practice.

I miss having time to train :(

ETA: Don't start doing Tabata style training if your out of shape AND haven't been doing much physical activity as you might end up doing yourself a mischief. I moved onto them because I'd been training 3-4 times a week plus trips to the gym and I didn't have the time to keep that up.
    Last edited by ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE; 9/17/2012 2:18pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast