Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 9:32pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    Back to the St-Pierre/Silva topic, I would definitely choose Silva to win if I had to choose, but it's not like St-Pierre doesn't have some important tools that could make it a competitive fight.

St-Pierre is cautious overall, certainly, but it's not like he doesn't attack. His brand of caution isn't like Leites vs Silva caution, or even Maia vs Silva caution. **** will happen, and I would hope St-Pierre would be at least somewhat successful.

I think Silva would also have a much harder time drawing St-Pierre into a sparring match, which is where Silva really excels. When Silva is heavily attacked, especially with wrestling, his defenses and counter-punching start to crumble... We've seen that with Sonnen twice, against Henderson, Lutter, Takase, Luiz Azeredo, and Carlos Newton. So I think St-Pierre could easily be successful with his wrestling, and given his ability to compose himself under pressure, I think it's a real possibility for him to find a winning rhythm. Of course, it would probably be a mostly-boring decision, but at least it could finally be proven that Silva isn't a superman or anything.

If it did go to the ground, I think Silva would have a much harder time getting out from underneath that wrestling half-guard smash than he did against Lutter or Henderson. Even though Lutter is an amazing grappler, I'd still argue that GSP's MMA-functional wrestling is much more tuned to the sport he is playing than other wrestlers or grapplers. His base is fantastic.
    That's a reasonable and good analysis. So was one of the posts just after yours... But both of you guys forget to mention 1 thing. Anderson Silva is both taller and as well slightly heavier / naturally than GSP's weight class. I mean it's not a huge difference, but I think it's enough that GSP won't be able to use his controlling style as effectively as he does in his normal fights. It's just going to be interesting to see him in there with someone that much taller, let alone heavier.

For some stats GSP is 5'10" 170lbs / Silva is 6'2" and 185lbs. That's not out of George's league or anything (the guy is an expert) but it's going to be different than George taking on Stocky power-houses (Hughes/Serra/Alves/etc.) or technical strikers that aren't also huge like (penn/condit)

Condit and or Dan Hardy are the closest GSP's faught, body wise, to Silva. Condit's the same height as Silva (6'2") and Hardy is right in between Silva and GSP (6').... Still there is a natural 15lbs weight difference that GSP/Condit/Hardy don't have vs. Silva... I could see GSP putting on some size/muscle if he takes this fight.

Given the kind of fights GSP puts on, with an emphasis on playing it safe even if it means not finishing the fight... I can't see him actually wanting this fight. I don't think Silva would have any problem taking this match and the purse would be enormous. When you think about it that way, I agree with the mod above, it's probably not going to happen. JRE has been saying many times it is more and more likely and in the works, but yeah, I don't know, I now have my doubts too after thinking about it along these lines...

Anyways, yeah, Silva's also fought a lot of guys that have or could fight in the weight-class above his. Forrest Griffen/Steffen Bonar etc. (6'3" 204lbs and 6'4" 205lbs respectively) I really don't think GSP's going to control Silva if those guys couldn't do it to a win and I think Silva's knees would be a danger that would keep GSP concerned about any clinch.

This fight might just well require a completely redefined gameplan for GSP. He's capable of it if anyone is, would love to see it, and would love for both fighters to have a more than adequate prep time to make this an awesome show. fingers crossed
    Last edited by Jettatore; 3/20/2013 9:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 2:03am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How big is Thialgo Alves? He seems like a big WW technical striker, and George seemed to handle him alright.

I would probably still pick Silva were they to fight, I am just curious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 2:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    How big is Thialgo Alves? He seems like a big WW technical striker, and George seemed to handle him alright.

I would probably still pick Silva were they to fight, I am just curious.
    Not being snappy, but Wiki is great for fighter stats, they have complete win/loss records and the have height/weight stats, etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiago_Alves
    He's 5'9", stocky and could cut to 170 at the time of that fight, he has missed at least 1 weigh in since that fight. His size and stature is similar to Pierre fighting Hughes/Serra -stocky type wrestler etc. only a bit bigger this time, especially in the shoulders/upper body. He's not 6'2" like Condit or Silva.

Alves was suspended for Steroids at least once btw, for whatever that tertiary information is worth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 2:20pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roger. So he is pretty close in size to GSP (GSP listed as 5'10" on wikipedia... I learned!). I never figured he was as lanky as Silva, but he isn't Serra stocky.

:)

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 10:18am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO, Silva is too big, and too fluid for GSP to jab-circle, or dry hump.

AS by spectacular KO or guillotine.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 10:21am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Long sigh*

It's not happening. Okay? OKAY.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

:)

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    *Long sigh*

It's not happening. Okay? OKAY.
    Yeah, I sense that, but if it did.....

Maybe when they can do like Marciano/Ali and film sparring, then have a computer decide who wins.

I'm pretty sure this is the last fight in the world, that GSP wants to be in. Silva is a larger framed GOAT in the weightclass above him. Seems to me his fight style is a result of the 1st Serra fight.

That would make AS his worst nightmare. Not the overhand from nowhere, but the tornado of strikes from everywhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 11:51am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bobyclumsyninja:

agree with everything you've said. interesting point about GSP adjusting his game based on his first loss to Serra. I think that was/is likely a correct adjustment for GSP in some fights/or situation-ally. GSP has, I believe, shown in his past, a sort of overall fight that may work better both against Silva, and some of the opponents that he subsequently fought after his apparently successful rematch against Serra.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 1:14pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Maybe when they can do like Marciano/Ali and film sparring, then have a computer decide who wins.
    Ah 1970, back when computers were magical computing gnomes, capable of producing anything.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 7:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wondering why these two individuals would take this opportunity since they both have a piece of something good right now - if they do fight the loser will be left with nothing
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast