Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 9:53pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sleepless View Post
    6 pack of chicken from any grocery store costs like $6.
    25lbs bag of rice $15 from any asian grocerie store.

The rice will hold for half a year and feed you until it's all gone.

Bake the chicken.
    Cook the rice.
    That sounds perfect. I wasn't aware that I could microwave chicken (shame on me for not developing these skills before going to college!), but I now see that I can. Thanks!

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 10:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliada View Post
    That sounds perfect. I wasn't aware that I could microwave chicken (shame on me for not developing these skills before going to college!), but I now see that I can. Thanks!
    Forgive me if you've already mentioned this, but are you guys allowed a mini fridge?

I had to do all my hot food out of a microwave for a quite a while last year and these things helped me at least attempt to balance my diet:

They're only a couple bucks a bag and it makes 2-4 servings depending on how big an eater you are.

Maybe not the greatest thing ever, but they taste like heaven after a few weeks of eating nothing but processed crap.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately not. These bastards are stingy, yo. They cut me off from any decent food (ovens, even toaster ovens, aren't allowed in the dormitories), twisted my arm into buying a cafeteria meal plan (it's mandatory) and will only let you take three items away in a to-go box (and you aren't allowed to use that box after eating at the buffet, either). They make you buy a minimum of 100 meals from them and "encourage" you to buy more by making it completely impossible to cook your own healthy food. As fantastic as the cafeteria food is, they really make college life a b*tch for serious athletes with schedules incongruent with the cafeteria's own.
    Grow deep pockets. As in, zip lock baggies. I'm not advocating stealing.

Seriously, it's in the budget. You have no idea of what is thrown away and tuition and dorms are over priced. If that's an issue...

Fish, chicken, beans, rice and pasta. Healthy and moderately priced.

You're in Louisiana, go catch some snake. Some of the leanest meat on earth and damned right tasty.

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 2:00am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Intermittent fasting could be a go, but if you're a dude having trouble keeping weight on rather than off it probably isn't the best way to go.

Are you big trying to get smaller, or small trying to get bigger, or middle ground trying to survive? Heh.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to a bookstore and buy yourself "A man, A can, and a Microwave"

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 10:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st man the **** up about being a fussy eater. Your Health is more important then your delicate freaking palate. Also you will be much happier in life the more you expand your palate.
    2nd PB and J with bread that has a decent fiber count (to off set the Js sugar) is cheap portable and good for you.
    3rd Eggs, Rice, Beans, yogurt are all cheap. I am sure you can figure out a creative way to cook them with what you have at your disposal.

Also stop looking for excuses to eat like ****. Your a college kid I expect you to be clever enough to figure out how to eat good on a budget.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2012 5:50pm

Style: Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was like this too for a few years when I opened my first business.

Eating shitty is healthier for you than skipping meals. When you skip meals your body doesn't create enough insulin, and your metabolism runs to ****. It is also easier to regulate dieting then to add meals because your body has to play catch up for the meals missed into your body.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 2:19am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a college student. Between that statement and the title, I'm sure you know where this is going. I'm kinda broke (partially because I spend my money on training and gym membership), and as everyone knows, it's hard to eat healthy when you're low on dough. Besides that, I'm very picky about food, so most low-budget health recipes the internet turns up turn out to be unacceptable to my very bland palate. I try to take advantage of my school's wonderful cafeteria, but classes and training sometimes take priority and the cafeteria hours run out. I'm often left with a difficult choice: to skip a meal or partake in cheap A) fast food (good God, what a punishment!) or B) instant food (hardly better). I feel like eating poorly wastes the training which I take such pride in, and I don't really feel hunger until I've missed two or more meals, but common sense dictates that the body needs food, especially when you work out between two and five hours a day. Obviously, I need to work on timing my meals better, but since accidents will sometimes happen, I'd really appreciate it if you'd tell me which crime is worse!

Oh, and by the way, should I drink milk or OJ in the morning? I'd assume I need dairy to build strong bones, but I heard recently that it messes up your digestive system.
    Yeah been there done that. If you don't learn anything else in college learn how to budget. You will be surprised on what you spend money on that could be put forth to something more inline with your goals. Canned Tuna, Eggs, Milk, beans, Whole Wheat bread, Peanut butter, nuts, cottage cheese, most fruits and veggies, soba (buckwheat noodles that I would recommend of normal ramen) and much more are generally cheap at most big chained grocery stores. Some good microwave meals can go around $2.50~$5.00 and much better than going to a fast food joint. However with that said eating fast food isn't really going to kill you if you are active enough to burn off the calories. You have to feed the machine. Running on empty will hurt you more than the cheeseburger would. Lastly hunger is a sign that you waited to long to eat. Eat small meals/snacks throughout the day to not feel hunger. Nuts. trail mix, etc are good for that.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a great believer in the fruit bowl

5 a day is recomended where I live

No cooking required (though you may want to wash non-organic), and bulky enough to give you that full feeling

IMHO the high calorie/low vitamin diet of fast/convenience food can be offset with plenty of fruit

When I am working I will eat a piece of fruit every few hours to keep up my energy levels (I work a manual job)

The goodness of fruit allows me to eat crappy processed food without feeling guilty
    Watch my post count die

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 4:52pm

Style: Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    The goodness of fruit allows me to eat crappy processed food without feeling guilty
    Actually, majority fruit is high in sugar in some cases. Contrary to it being organic or processed. Vegetables would serve you better.

It also sounds as if your issue is more psychological than it is physical, if you want to treat yourself to an unhealthy item, you could try to take the processed foods you like and switch to organic by treating yourself not so often with the processed foods.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast