Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 4:03pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Video can give you a good starting point, but GM Ernesto Presas once told me, that you can watch video for 20 years but without a good instructor to give you the keys you will never fully grasp arnis.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 3:29am

Style: FMA Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Final answer it seems like is no, but you can work on strength and flexibility, and in terms of kali/arnis/escrima, the most basic thing to do is swing and walk at the same time...doing anything else with forms and specific techniques without an instructor to critique might actually hurt technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2012 9:20pm

Style: Aiki, I-Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'd say maybe with Dog Bros.

First let me say that I mostly agree with what Guru had to say in his post that you can study the stick for 20 years alone and still not be a good fighter. That said, I have spent at least 8 hours these past few days looking over the Dog Brothers stick fighting videos and training. Let me say, I am not a believer in learning ANY martial arts by video. I wasted years of my life just trying to get a "slice" of what yang and Wu tAI chi have to offer by 'specially made easy to learn from 4 different angles" videos to make learning at home almost like being with the master" (they said) videos. I will burn them before I let another person waste 2 years on them like I did. Did other arts on video as well.

But, what has my interest piqued, is the Dog brothers stick fighting because it is said that the martial art that uses the most gross motor skills(simple movement) will allow one to progress the fastest as a rule. So when I saw Dog Brothers video into on their website I saw that that in video number one they allude to showing just 3 basic strikes done with force that made my gums bleed on my computer,just about. Video 2-is Footwork. And knowing the dog bros, they made it very simple and very affective. Now,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2012 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I emailed them myself to ask if I could learn just by videos. They said "Nothing beats live training. But if you use our videos as a precursor to training with a partner, they will give you a big edge. And then came the sales pitch to buy the 1st 2 vids to start(which I am, still thinking of doing as we speak) and then go to california for some intense training with them for 1-2 weeks,depending on my wallet condition. I bet that alone will make a huge difference in how fast I progress when I find a real teacher to study with. And from what I see, in their vids, if you practice what they show you on a good bag or anything that really works for you, if you got into a fight with a knife fighter who wasnt specially trained, id venture youd have so much power in your first swing youd knock all his teeth out and the fight would be over and done. They are about power, technique is a distant second. Hell, if you live in florida, I will chip in for the vids with you and train with you too as I may be transitioning over to a stick art,myself. Bottom line: Either train Dog brothers way, or just have some fun watching videos on you tube and stay loose and fit, which is ok, too! Let me know here or PM what you decide. You can see Dog Brothers vids both on their site and on You tube. My ultimate advice....if money is no object, just go down to California and take 2 weeks of training with them, buy the vids for practicing at home and youll already have 6 months of stick fighting under normal conditions under your belt. Beware, if yu train at their facility,you WILL get hurt. These guys are like modern day Roman gladiators. Im not even saying their school is for everyone....but the videos wont swing back. Keep me posted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2012 10:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And may I add.......There are just too many stories coming out of the orient about guys training alone for years and then suddenly....... yeah, sure 85% of it is probably BS. But what about the rest. Plus, did you ever hear of anyone who "lost" any skill by training alone. I bet a guy like Danny Inosonto could put together a good program to train alone on stick. Maybe he already does. Then again too, if you want to train that bad, put up a few 3x5 cards in local gyms and dance studios about "Seeking a partner to train by video with." Maybe youll find a guy who already knows some stick. -)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2012 2:55am

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pakua42 View Post
    And from what I see, in their vids, if you practice what they show you on a good bag or anything that really works for you, if you got into a fight with a knife fighter who wasnt specially trained, id venture youd have so much power in your first swing youd knock all his teeth out and the fight would be over and done.
    They are about power, technique is a distant second.
    That first quote is an extremely dangerous assumption to make, and a good way to get cut. One of the first things you'll learn when you start doing knife work in kali is that a knife can be deadly even in the hands of a fool. There's a reason why the Dog Brothers motto is "die less often" and not "punch out the noobs". Perhaps an actual dog brother can comment on this - I know Poidog used to post here but I haven't seen him for a while.

As far as the second quote goes, I don't really know who you mean by "they", and it isn't obvious from the context. If you mean the Dog Brothers, I'll have to disagree with you; if you watch a gathering of the pack, you'll see a high degree of technical skill coupled with good power generation (and power generation is technique). If you mean the random untrained dudes with knives, you might be right some of the time. Other times, they might be about speed and not power. Most of the time they might be about nothing in particular other than trying to cut you.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/12/2012 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are about power, technique is a distant second.
    At a Dog Brother gathering, "they" are all about what they are individually all about. One guy I fought there told me his focus was on superior positioning- a concept common to grapplers but that can also be applied a number of dynamic ways into weapon work.

Plenty of guys like me have the "hit and don't be hit" philosophy as our guiding principle. When your movement is dictated in this way, you do not want to overdo it with the power of shots because it can screw up your fast recovery and exit. "We're both going to hit each other but I'll win cause I hit harder" is another way of saying "They are about power, technique is a distant second". That can kinda work for unarmed, but not for weapons. Taking shots so you can deliver them isn't a good plan IMHO.

Regarding my weapon hand and alive hand, I keep a frame of motion as wide as my shoulders and as tall as my crown to my belt. No bigger. If I made it wider I could hit harder but that would violate my priorities.

Beware, if yu train at their facility,you WILL get hurt. These guys are like modern day Roman gladiators. Im not even saying their school is for everyone....but the videos wont swing back. Keep me posted.
    Have you trained with them? My experiences working with them was not like modern day Roman gladiators, but it was pretty physically intense stuff with lots of aliveness. Its worth noting here that what you see from the gathering videos doesn't represent the week-in-week-out training of the people there. They use Actionflex sticks and padded Nok knives etc, and aren't always going at it 100% with minimal gear and hard weapons.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2012 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, if you live in florida, I will chip in for the vids with you and train with you too as I may be transitioning over to a stick art,myself.
    Well, hello there! I do live in Florida. Matter of fact a few of us do. And a few of us train with sticks! Where about in Florida are you living? I'm in Pensacola. Jspeedy is down in Orlando. There is also a guy in Ft.Walton. I have a bunch of Dog Brother's videos. They are pretty good. Definately worth getting and adding to your library.

That being said, they will be among the first to tell you that you need to train with another person. There is no substitute for learning timing from a person who is swinging a stick at you. Footwork drills, DBMA #1, Lameco 5, and power swings will teach you a lot, but you may learn really quick that you are not doing that roof block right when you do it and the stick still hits you in the head. Then you will be spending a lot of time trying to unlearn and fix your technique. Then again you may get it right from that get go. That would be lucky.

But if you are in P'cola area, let me know.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/12/2012 3:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And may I add.......There are just too many stories coming out of the orient about guys training alone for years and then suddenly....... yeah, sure 85% of it is probably BS.
    No, you fucking racist, there are not too many stories about that. There are stories of guys who have already studied for years like Mas Oyama, mastered systems & been badasses to begin with, going off to train privately and having some epiphany about the martial way that has come through their years of experience.

That is a completely different fucking situation than some dumbass in the West thinking he can learn martial arts from watching a god damn fucking video.

SHUT THE **** UP.

Posted On:
    10/12/2012 5:17pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where are you at in FL pakua42? I'm trying to put together a free Orlando FMA group. I also know guys all over the place here.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast