Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Judo Dilemma

Style
    Aikido,Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judo12 View Post
    Once again I appreciate the replies. I'm not the one to quit so I think I will hack it out and see how it goes it's just sometimes I feel lost. Anyways I appreciate the advice and will let you know how it goes. Btw are there any videos I should check out that might help? I have the kodokan video and mike swain's judo video.
    You are experiencing a common thing in class dynamics. You have some expectations about what you would like to get out of the class and after one month, you have been shown variations of about ten throws. You will find out eventually that each throw will have some important variations and you will work within those variations to make those throws work the best for you. You may even show a new guy sometime, what you do that makes that throw work easier for you. Ten throws in the first month plus ukemi is pretty good. Judo takes a lot of time and patience to learn. Hit every class you can, be regular with your attendance, practice hard, be attentive to your instructors, work on the lessons, expect frustration and work through it. This is the attitude to have in class. Your patience will help you become a valuable person to train with. It just doesn't happen in a month.

Style
    mostly BJJ with some Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a lot of what has been said in this thread has happened to me and at happened at many of the clubs i have trained at.

my advice is to stick it out and try and put things together for yourself and when stuck, you can use the Sensei and senior students to fill in the gaps

and when doing randori....relax, if you get thrown, **** happens....leave your ego at the door on this aspect of Judo...it'll help prevent injuries to you and your partner in the long run...shiai is a different matter

oh, and work on your ukemi....always do a few extra before and after practice as time and Sensei permit.

Style
    judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil82 View Post
    a lot of what has been said in this thread has happened to me and at happened at many of the clubs i have trained at.

my advice is to stick it out and try and put things together for yourself and when stuck, you can use the Sensei and senior students to fill in the gaps

and when doing randori....relax, if you get thrown, **** happens....leave your ego at the door on this aspect of Judo...it'll help prevent injuries to you and your partner in the long run...shiai is a different matter

oh, and work on your ukemi....always do a few extra before and after practice as time and Sensei permit.
    Thank you for the advice and wisdom. I understand judo takes a lot of practice and effort on my part. I'm not expecting to master these moves in a short period of time. I also understand the importance of taking a fall and getting thrown as that is part of the art of judo. Just out of curiosity is it normal for someone who has been in a dojo a little over a month now, learn ukemi in one class. Learn zenpo kaiten by watching you tube clips and learning two throws ippon seoinagi (learned this by attending a judo clinic) and ossoto gari (still not sure if I'm doing this correctly) each partner I had kept telling me it's wrong if I don't do it the way they do it and through this I feel I've picked up some bad habits and some confusion. As for asking sensei they watch when we are practicing which I think is called uchi komi and when I ask how it is done they will demonstrate once. I've even had one tell me when I was asking a question "it seems your trying to make excuses for yourself". As for newaza I was only taught kesa katame which the higher ranks know how to get out of then I just become a dummy for them to practice on since that is the only move I know. I practiced with sensei once and I told the sensei I only know kesa katame and I was told that's alright just do newaza and see if you can get out. I thought I was going to learn something while doing newaza but instead I was just wrestling on the floor trying to get out. I apologize for the frustration. I was supposed to go to class today but didn't go. I was so hyped when I started but now I'm just trying to think positively and convince myself to hack it out. If this is the norm then I will try to think in a positive manner. I just want some outside opinions as I'm not sure if this is normal for a judo school. Also I'm the only older white belt as the rest are in high school or younger and I just feel like they are being passive towards me because I am older and don't feel the need to invest their time to teach me and instead are focused on helping the younger students to help promote the dojo.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no point trying to teach you a complete game instantly when you first start out, a lot of the time you're going to learn by doing. If you know the one move, just try to do that one. I assure you that if you get good at kesa gatame no one is going to be getting out very easily.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find another Judo dojo near you, and try out one of their classes. You will be a better informed consumer when you do this.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there is some truth to learning by doing...we do it in BJJ all the time....but we have at least been given a few tools to work with.

afa the throw and breakfall thing i think this....you might get the basic falls in a class or two but it takes time to really be able to confidently use them in some high pressure situations or from big impact throws like kata guruma etc...so keep on that.....

the throw thing sounds kind of crappy to me.....as a noob, you should know exactly one version of the throw, the traditional one as done since the year dot...variations for comps and such can be added when you get a bit more experienced...you'll learn this from the teacher.

the kid thing is very common in my part of the world.....and it doesn't surprise me that it is the same at your place....i think it is a major reason why Judo is losing to BJJ when it comes to adult retention.

and your Sensei sounds like he needs an attitude adjustment or at least a course on how to teach....

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been taking Judo now for two years and been to numerous clinics and other clubs. Yes, people show you the same throw 20 different ways and insist what you were shown before is wrong. Our instructor tells us to "politely nod and do what the instructor shows that day". You'll find these variations will help you in the future anyways because one way to throw doesn't work for all.

You're lucky to have any adults-most clubs are all kids and maybe one adult besides the instructor (at least in the US). A peeve of mine is that everyone seems to be looking for the next Judo olympian and not give a darn about those who are serious and just want to learn judo.

Falling wasn't emphasized a lot in my club for newbies. We'd go over side falls, back falls, etc from standing (which I find don't translate well for being actually thrown) for the first few classes a newbie came to. Find someone with a higher rank or good falling skills and ask them for help after class.

Judo's a great art. After two years, I still suck at it. However, I know that for self defense, I have plenty of judo skills to pull from. Good luck. This is truly a long-term endeavor and a growth process.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds to me like you are suffering from the typical unstructured judo class. Well, typical of the complaints we get here quite a bit anyway.

You've got a couple of choices. 1.) As JNP suggested, try another club if one is available. 2.) Stick it out in the club you are at or 3, I suppose, quit Judo.

If you enjoy where you are, stick with it, it may get better.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you everyone for being understanding and supportive. As for going to another school there is another BJJ school near me but quite expensive I'm not sure why. So I've decided to hack it out and see how far I can go. Hopefully I can prove that age is not a factor and motivate myself to do well.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    let us know how you get on mate

Page 2 of 2 First 12