Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 2:16am

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Guided Chaos Videos? A Christmas Miracle.

I was amusing myself after everyone went to bed since I have a crap sleep schedule and I found that there are new GC videos from Matt Kovsky. Some of you guys know or may remember I have a serious rape scenario hot button, so this one in particular enraged me. Probably because it's so stupidly spazzy.

How do pull guard?

I hope there are more Martial Myth videos. I need comedy.

So basically Happy Chrimbus, enjoy some comedy on that channel.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 5:28am

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...what the **** did I just watch? What is Kovsky trying to say here? That going to the ground is a no win situation but that 'dropping your weight' and hoping that you slap his face and eyes enough is the way to go?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 7:52am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Must be some kind of white woman workout...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 3:54pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like that one of the recommended videos is Stephan Kesting's 5 reasons to grapple in a street fight.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 4:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's really nothing wrong in this video per se, it just doesn't add anything non-grapplers don't already know or should know. Q: What do you do when a big guy takes you down? A: Don't let him take you down! (otherwise, learn grappling or keep a weapon handy). Duh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 4:20pm

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am confused. When the video says "Here's what works" why does it not show her pulling her Glock?

That big black guy must be some kind of sissy if a few slaps to the face completely shut down his attack like that.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    There's really nothing wrong in this video per se, it just doesn't add anything non-grapplers don't already know or should know. Q: What do you do when a big guy takes you down? A: Don't let him take you down! (otherwise, learn grappling or keep a weapon handy). Duh.
    That's why none of this makes sense to me. If you have not been trained in how to properly do a takedown or have not been trained in grappling than of course you don't want to try and take your attacker down and grapple. No fucking kidding. The impression I got, and maybe I'm wrong, is that Kovsky is trying to say that you don't ever want to grapple especially if the attacker is bigger than you...which doesn't make sense because one of the main ideas of the grappling arts, as far as I understand them, is to be able to handle a larger opponent.

One thing that makes me laugh about this video is when it shows what to do if you're surprised by your attacker. I don't know about anyone else, but the attacker sure seemed to be moving pretty slow for a 'surprise attack'. Seems to me that anyone moving that slow on a well trained grappler is in for a world of hurt.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 4:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=FinalLegion;2809356]That's why none of this makes sense to me. If you have not been trained in how to properly do a takedown or have not been trained in grappling than of course you don't want to try and take your attacker down and grapple. No fucking kidding. The impression I got, and maybe I'm wrong, is that Kovsky is trying to say that you don't ever want to grapple especially if the attacker is bigger than you...which doesn't make sense because one of the main ideas of the grappling arts, as far as I understand them, is to be able to handle a larger opponent. [QUOTEFinalLegion;2809356]

The reason we constantly see crapola like this on the internet is because:

1 -- stand up MArtists who cant or wont incorporate some knowledge of grappling into their game think that they have to come up with antigrappling moves to keep their audience. The irony is that all they really need to do for "antigrappling" is to get good enough at their regular standup game to defeat a grappler -- there's enough MMA videos around to prove that. But, that doesn't satisfy people's desire for . . .

2 -- Magic moves. People really want to believe that there is some special technique they can use to defeat a grappler that doesn't involve either learning grappling, carrying a weapon, or taking the hard road of becoming a tough mofo in their own style. There isn't any.
    Last edited by CapnMunchh; 12/25/2013 4:56pm at .

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    12/25/2013 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Q: What do you do when a big guy takes you down? A: Don't let him take you down! (otherwise, learn grappling or keep a weapon handy). Duh.
    My issue is the fact that they started from a "Rape Position" where he was crawling between her legs to overpower her to start with - a place where, if she didn't resist grappling training as per that instructor's advice, she could have options. SO MANY options it's ridiculously empowering.

I get irritated with the perpetuation that all rape starts with some huge guy tackling you to the ground. Sometimes it's someone you trust, sometimes it's someone you love, someone with the keys to your house even.. and they're violating that trust when you're already in a vulnerable position.

I've made posts like this before though - so I reiterate, it is a hair trigger sort of thing with me. I feel that perpetuating this antigrapple spaz bullshit (I'm looking at you too, precise obscure pressure point strikes) is absolutely dangerous.

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 1:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The irony is that all they really need to do for "antigrappling" is to get good enough at their regular standup game to defeat a grappler -- there's enough MMA videos around to prove that. But, that doesn't satisfy people's desire for . . .
    Not exactly, the stand up guys that do well still need to know how to sprawl they also have to square up a bit more to keep from being single legged to death. There are modifications to a stand up game to deal with grapplers. The biggest of course is training against someone that has the ability to execute a proper takedown.

The simple truth is if your goal is self defense you should incorporate at least up to a blue belt equivalents worth of ground fighting and takedown defense. That way you have enough to get out of a bad situation on the ground and to stand back up.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast