• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2013 3:39am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reliable source to research Sambo experience?

Hey folks. I know Sambo in the U.S. has had some extended periods of clusterfuckery. That makes my goal rather difficult.

I am trying to figure out my instructor's Sambo experience. He said he was on an U.S. national Sambo team and actually spent time in the Soviet Union training Sambo and received a Master or Sport (International Master of Sport?) rating from the USSR/Russia.

I have no reason to doubt him (he was a high school and college wrestler who also had extensive Judo experience beneath some very well known instructors which to me seems like a prime candidate for an early U.S. Sambist) and it seems like a super douche move to just say "prove it" but I wanted to learn more about his experience and credentials out of my own curiosity.

Is there a place to find records on who was on U.S. national teams in the 80s or 90s? Or is there a place to find people with Master of Sport rankings? I have pretty much exhausted randomly clicking links on the FIAS website.

Thanks!

*edit* I did just dig through Sambo Steve's US Sambo Archive and didn't see his name.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	242073_2010101116.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	15754  

Last edited by Krijgsman; 12/31/2013 4:01am at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/31/2013 9:16am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would contact Steve directly. His school is NY Combat Sambo, you can probably find an email via his website.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2014 12:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good idea. I know my coach has heard of Steve, though I don't know if they know each other beyond that. Thanks.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/03/2014 5:11pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, you can PM me his name if you like. You can also e-mail me at samboinfo@yahoo.com

I have stuff I have not yet included in the archive as it is a monumental task. But, if you looked at the one posted here a while ago, it is out of date. The website is the most up to date. http://ussambo.com/archive.html

Regarding MoS, that will be very hard to investigate if it is from the Soviet days. A general rule is that it would be in a passboook, not a certificate form like we are used to. Though, some orgs do give certs along with the passbook (in Russia/Former Soviet countries). But WHO gave him the MoS will be a big indicator and helpful is researching it. Honestly, there are very few legit American MoS around, so it is a rare thing if he is legit.

There is no one source for this type of information, which is why the ASA began the archive. It has taken years to gather the info we do have and we ONLY list info that is verifiable (not word of mouth).
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/03/2014 5:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The FIAS website has no archive to find. Master of Sport is handled by a Russian Government agency. Sports orgs can award it, but it is record in government files. Also, our archive only covers Domestic events and Americans abroad.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/03/2014 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Steve! Glad to see you posting again. I would love to see you over in the Advanced Grappling Forum when you have time. Having someone of your level is a real asset to Bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 3:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Hi, you can PM me his name if you like. You can also e-mail me at samboinfo@yahoo.com

I have stuff I have not yet included in the archive as it is a monumental task. But, if you looked at the one posted here a while ago, it is out of date. The website is the most up to date. http://ussambo.com/archive.html

Regarding MoS, that will be very hard to investigate if it is from the Soviet days. A general rule is that it would be in a passboook, not a certificate form like we are used to. Though, some orgs do give certs along with the passbook (in Russia/Former Soviet countries). But WHO gave him the MoS will be a big indicator and helpful is researching it. Honestly, there are very few legit American MoS around, so it is a rare thing if he is legit.

There is no one source for this type of information, which is why the ASA began the archive. It has taken years to gather the info we do have and we ONLY list info that is verifiable (not word of mouth).
    Thanks for the reply Steve. I think I spied my coach in one of the 1983 Pan Am team photos. I will shoot you an email and, if all else fails, just talk with my coach. He is pretty cool but so low key about his background that its kinda hard to get much out of him.

Thanks again!

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 10:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Thanks for the reply Steve. I think I spied my coach in one of the 1983 Pan Am team photos. I will shoot you an email and, if all else fails, just talk with my coach. He is pretty cool but so low key about his background that its kinda hard to get much out of him.

Thanks again!
    No problem. Any coach who is not hiding anything should feel totally free to answer such questions from students. I do all the time. I say to ask him. But, shoot me an e-mail anyway. I am now curious...LOL. FYI, I have the official 1983 Pan Am team roster. I just was looking at it today. And I entered the 1983 National Sports Festival results. If he placed, his name will be in there. I just finished entering a lot more data into the archive. I now have nothing left to enter until someone digs up some old records and sends them over to me.

I also will soon have in my hands the 1982 sambo nationals. The original 1" tape for TV broadcast is being forwarded to me. Once I digitize it, I am putting it for all to see. Will be a great piece of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Hey Steve! Glad to see you posting again. I would love to see you over in the Advanced Grappling Forum when you have time. Having someone of your level is a real asset to Bullshido.
    Thanks. Sadly, I have so little time for forums, etc. Too many irons in the fire. But I will try to drop by more if I can.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 1/04/2014 10:31pm at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/05/2014 7:20am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post

Thanks. Sadly, I have so little time for forums, etc. Too many irons in the fire. But I will try to drop by more if I can.
    I understand. I took a several year hiatus between getting married, moving , and moving from JMA to BJJ. On the plus side your Leg Knot Series you taught me is still bearing fruit.

Whenever life gives you time, you are always welcome on Bullshido.