--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good self defense dvds?

I tend to always view bullshido to see what videos and dvds are terrible for self defense. But I can't really seem to find any "good quality" self defense dvds that bullshido would recommend.

I realize, dvds will never account for doing training in a martial art and going through the movements for months on end. I am just looking for some dvds as that is better than learning absolutely nothing.

So is there perhaps a thread I missed where there are recommended self defense dvds I can look into?

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by noob99 View Post
    I realize, dvds will never account for doing training in a martial art and going through the movements for months on end.
    Years, preferably. If you want to actually learn anything applicable, you need aliveness, you need to practise with training partners, you need to train with resistance. See the links in my sig for further thoughts.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Years, preferably. If you want to actually learn anything applicable, you need aliveness, you need to practise with training partners, you need to train with resistance. See the links in my sig for further thoughts.
    I wonder why my sig isn’t showing up all of a sudden. This previous post of mine suddenly became less than perfectly helpful, didn’t it? It’s supposed to show:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look up the Bas Rutten bar fight series on YouTube. It's both informative and hilarious.

Style
    Boxing, Judo, Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by noob99 View Post
    I tend to always view bullshido to see what videos and dvds are terrible for self defense. But I can't really seem to find any "good quality" self defense dvds that bullshido would recommend.

I realize, dvds will never account for doing training in a martial art and going through the movements for months on end. I am just looking for some dvds as that is better than learning absolutely nothing.

So is there perhaps a thread I missed where there are recommended self defense dvds I can look into?
    Goddamnit, why does this have to be in a serious forum?!?!?!?! This question begs trolling.

Anyways, seriously:

I like the Gracie Combatives DVDs - its similar to what they taught the Rangers, so it doesn't completely suck. The videos are well made (I've used them for reference to remember all of the subtle movements in a sequence), but they suffer from the same problems that all DVDs suffer from - who the hell are you going to roll with?

Basically, I like these DVDs to supplement the real training I get, not to replace it.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I will eventually most likely do some sort of training in a martial arts down the road, I was just looking for something I guess kind of "generic" in the sense that if I was in a bad spot at least I would have an idea as to how to go about it.

Nothing will ever be better than going through drills and training with professionals, but again something is better than nothing.

Will look into the bas rutten stuff and into the gracie combatives as well. Thank you for your advice.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Videos for self defense?
    Only one series really sticks out in my mind and that is Die Less Often by the dog bros
    but really when it comes to anything like this I refer back to a saying I heard

“A mediocre strategy well executed is better than a great strategy poorly executed”

So its better to be good at self defense even say it be sports based martial arts then have the best understanding of self defense theory and no practice in actually executing it.

Style
    kenpo, Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watching top level fighting will also show a lot of fundamentals of self defense. Plus it is entertaining.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gracie's have good dvd's, matt serra has a good dvd set. damien maiia has good dvd's. there are lots to choose from.