223943 Bullies, 548 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. 2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weekend Watching: Fist of the North Star

How did I, of all people, not know this was a thing? Surely someone (probably Gezere) has discussed it here before; I must have missed that discussion.

Anyway, I got back from my semi-annual "oh god this is why I quit smoking cigars" reminder event late last night and stumbled upon this gem on Netflix. Again, how could I have not known it existed?

First off, if you have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about, here's a... umm... just watch.

Mad Max Steroid Jesus Bruce Lee travels through a post-apocalyptic wasteland and curb stomps people using a martial art that could only exist within the context of anime or an asthmatic teenage nerd's revenge fantasy.

The anime paved the way for pretty much every retarded/awesome (retardsome?) animated fighting-related thing to come out of Japan for the last 20 years, including Dragonball Z and Naruto.

But otaku weaboo crap aside, you'd expect a movie like this to be as bad as, oh, pretty much every other movie that was based on an anime or manga. For example:

Or this steaming pile of monkeyshit:

Instead, the film co-stars this guy:

And this guy:

And even more shockingly, this guy:

Who you might remember better as this guy:

Also, Downtown Julie Brown for some unfathomable reason.

Unfortunately, this isn't a movie review, so I'm not going to tell you whether or not it was good: I fell asleep shortly after turning it on when both the Red Bull and nicotine wore off simultaneously just as the first fight scene was about to start.

But with the unexpected cast and scale of the film in the opening bit, especially when I was expecting something MST3K-worthy, it's something you should probably check out if you find yourself with absolutely nothing else to do this weekend.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What no love for Big Van Vader?

I'll confesss...the live action version is a personal guilty pleasure of mine.

Given the pantheon of completely terrible post-Apocalypse martial arts fare, this movie was not all that terrible for the budget...it was after all straight to video.

The entire 1986 movie is on Youtube.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The entire 1986 movie is on Youtube.

Excuse me while I go relieve this tension in my pants.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watched this in our dayroom in AIT. One of the rare moments where the drill instructors would come in and actually watch TV with us. That's how bad-ass it was!

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    9/03/2012 3:50am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    9/04/2012 7:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exploding heads aside, this has to be one of the worst martial arts movies since no retreat no surrender.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2012 1:49pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I love this movie. It's the fact that it's so campy that I like it. Here in Italy EVERYBODY watches Ken Il Guerriero.

You can find the video game in almost every arcade.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 8:33am

Style: Tkd,mauythai,bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Movie was cheesy as ****. Remembered Watching it 6 years ago. Gary Daniel's is a horrible actor. They could at least had a better lead role. You barely see heads explode. Did you know the guy named his son after his character in this movie? What a loser dad. I would spend my retirement if I could to remake this piece of **** and do it justice for the cartoon. They have been fucking up a lot of these movies, Tekken, Fist of the north Star, Dragonball evolution, Street fighter, and the only thing tolerable was mortal kombat.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackjack View Post
    the only thing tolerable was mortal kombat.
    No I'm pretty sure they fucked up the Mortal Kombat movie too.

Posted On:
    9/05/2012 12:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackjack View Post
    Movie was cheesy as ****. Remembered Watching it 6 years ago. Gary Daniel's is a horrible actor. They could at least had a better lead role. You barely see heads explode. Did you know the guy named his son after his character in this movie? What a loser dad. I would spend my retirement if I could to remake this piece of **** and do it justice for the cartoon. They have been fucking up a lot of these movies, Tekken, Fist of the north Star, Dragonball evolution, Street fighter, and the only thing tolerable was mortal kombat.
    I didn't hate the tekken movie, it was at least as good as the game. But mortal kombat?? You're fucking kidding right??

The only movie I could stand Daniels in was the perfect weapon, but just barily.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast