insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    First off, a point of order: this is squat month, not deadlift month. Look at the joint angles in that picture, then compare them to the starting position of a deadlift vs. the bottom of a back squat.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Second, you can hold that position for five minutes because you've been practicing that particular position and evidently have a very high tolerance for torture.
    Fixed. Iron body qigong is what it is.

Squat month is safe...for now.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/07/2012 9:33am at .

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 1:14pm

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hav'nt been on here in ages but yes this thread rules.

Squats are the ****.

I always prefer doing deadlifts though. Just reached my goal of 200kg. (440.925 lbs)

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 2:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gnarly PWMS from my last blowout finally subsided yesterday. (It's always quite bad for me if I haven't worked a muyscle group in a long time. The first workout kills me for nearly a week. It usually takes about 3 sessions with the pain getting weaker and weaker each time and then it's gone as long as I stay active.)

Had the woman jump on my back again.

Four sets of 20 for a total of 80 in less than half an hour!

I felt flushed. I wanted to throw up. But my legs felt great and the pain today is minimal! (I might have to make the poor girl hold jugs of water or something next time.)

I want to take full advantage of the metabolic boost so for the next 48 hours while I let my leg muscles do their recovey thing it's UPPER BODY-UNTIL-I-DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 4:12pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    A double bodyweight back squat is the gold standard of what to aim for as a man between say 18-and 35.
    I've heard this before, and it simply blows my mind. I can only figure this is applicable for someone who has single digit body fat. As a 27yr old desk jockey, getting to a one-rep-max of my body weight (315lbs) was a feat. I cannot imagine a 630lb squat.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 4:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    I've heard this before, and it simply blows my mind. I can only figure this is applicable for someone who has single digit body fat. As a 27yr old desk jockey, getting to a one-rep-max of my body weight (315lbs) was a feat. I cannot imagine a 630lb squat.
    315? Christ son, how tall are you?

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 5:42pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, you're a big boy. Glad I'm not doing randori with you.

It's not that hard for the 150lb guys to get to 2x BW, but it does get harder as you get bigger if you carry a lot of fat. You probably haven't been on a proper progression, though.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/11/2012 2:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got up to 1.5 bw squat for 5 reps with a few months of Starting Strength newbie gains, so I don't see how 2x is unreasonable if you train regularly over time. That being said, you weigh more than twice what I do - are you significantly overweight or just a big ************?
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/11/2012 5:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    I got up to 1.5 bw squat for 5 reps with a few months of Starting Strength newbie gains, so I don't see how 2x is unreasonable if you train regularly over time. That being said, you weigh more than twice what I do - are you significantly overweight or just a big ************?
    6'4" built like a brick ****-house. I wear an A-7 gi, and have legs like tree-trunks.

Granted, I'm overweight, and if I were to diet and really work on it my doctor feels I could get down to 250lbs. But, that would entail losing muscle, as well as fat.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Posted On:
    9/11/2012 6:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6'4" built like a brick ****-house. I wear an A-7 gi, and have legs like tree-trunks.

Granted, I'm overweight, and if I were to diet and really work on it my doctor feels I could get down to 250lbs. But, that would entail losing muscle, as well as fat.
    Good lord man!

You wouldn't by any chance have worked as a spokes person for Del Monte have you?

Don't sweat the weight as much as the fat percentage. Especially "visceral" fat. That is the dangerous stuff. You can lose the fat without sacrificing muscle via diet and activity. You may not necesarilly lose a lot of "weight" but the weight you do have will be easier to move around. If a man of your size was all but pure muscle, HOLLY JEBUS you'd be a TANK! And not some some wimpy tank like a Renault FT. You'd be a freaking Abrams!

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/11/2012 6:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Good lord man!

You wouldn't by any chance have worked as a spokes person for Del Monte have you?

Don't sweat the weight as much as the fat percentage. Especially "visceral" fat. That is the dangerous stuff. You can lose the fat without sacrificing muscle via diet and activity. You may not necesarilly lose a lot of "weight" but the weight you do have will be easier to move around. If a man of your size was all but pure muscle, HOLLY JEBUS you'd be a TANK! And not some some wimpy tank like a Renault FT. You'd be a freaking Abrams!
    After 8 months of Stronglifts I was squatting 315 (5x5) dead lifting 365 (1x5) and benching 185 (5x5)

I wasn't losing much fat though, just adding slabs of muscle under it. So I've gone back to Judo, and cardio, to try and trim down a little bit.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast