Posted On:
    9/28/2012 11:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kengullette View Post
    I think Gary might misunderstand the meaning of the term "double-weighted."

It doesn't mean having equal weight on both feet. It means being in a position where you can't defend yourself -- when your opponent has you in a vulnerable position from which you can't respond and counter or neutralize their force.

Chen Xiaowang taught me that, and one of his disciples also backed it up with instruction on the finer points. :) He says most people don't use the term double weighted properly.
    Well, his original demo is gone, but these..
    Yeah:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 12:10am

Style: chen tai chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gary,
    I watched your video that was posted somewhere here. It's about 2 minutes 18 seconds. I enjoyed the last 30 seconds. Prior to that, and even during the final :30, I saw nothing rooted, too much hip movement, and your "chi" in your chest (not a mystical reference - it has a meaning that is physical in nature). I would yell at students who did that, and my teachers would yell at me, and Chen Xiaoxing would yell at them. It's the trickle-down theory at work. :)

I'm glad we could compare notes. Keep working on it. I haven't mastered anything yet, so I'm sure a young guy like you hasn't, either. I've known people who have synthesized arts into their own style. For most of them, it's easier than the hard work it takes to master something authentic. Every now and then they have something good, like the guys in Guided Chaos.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Ken

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 12:16am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRomel View Post
    Perhaps you could point out the name of the fallacy and explain, otherwise it's conclusionary nonsense.
    A liar? No. I resent the implication. I have had multiple government clearances, and I take my honesty very seriously.

Ecological fallacy—claiming that as people who have multiple government clearances are considered honest, then you in particular must be honest in this case

Psychologist's fallacy—crediting your own objectivity.

Yes, my web guy took liberties with it (he took it from my facebook without warning. But I served in two wars, I think I've earned the right to have a picture of myself in uniform. Also kind of relevant--I trained soldiers overseas in combat methods.
    Oh yeah? You trained which soldiers which combat methods, and how? Was this an official gummint thing, or just you and some pals dicking around in your downtime? Were you teaching this "flowing combat"? Also: did your web guy take liberties, or is the uniform appropriate? Pick one.

Well, non-bias people in my opinion don't resort to name calling. It's petty and doesn't foster objective, or productive discussion in my experience.
    It is Fake made no claims toward objectivity for himself. This is another fallacy btw (tu quoque specifically). The question is whether you are biased or not; that question remains whether or not IiF is.

And yes, there is a reason to critique. If someone is pretending to teach combat viable material
    Looked at a lot of Ken's material before offering your critique, did you?

and is just pushing
    Ah, you didn't! Behold his Hsing-I lesson where he does moves other than pushing.

That took about five seconds of looking around his site to find btw.

and wearing silk pajamas
    Check the link; they're not silk in the Hsing-I video. Also, what's the problem with gongfu uniforms? I don't wear them myself, but they are clearly not themselves a sign of poor instruction, not any more than your ridiculous haircut or sunglasses do:

My criticism is fact.
    No, none of these are facts:

he clearly lacks understanding (this is an opinion)

he believes in the magical power of Chi (this is an incorrect factual claim)

is using ancient metaphors alone (this is an incorrect factual claim)

Uniforms are unnecessary and I find foster a sense of division and prejudice among students. It also strikes me as an ego and status symbol. (this is a mix of opinion and sensory claims; it also implies, falsely, that uniforms can't simply be owned by anyone who wants them—in one vid several of Ken's students wear similar ones).

Like I said, I'll put my money where my mouth is, from my perspective you are the peanut gallery, mouth-boxing online. How much training have you had? Have you used your training in real life?
    Am I misreading this, or are you making a challenge to IiF, or Ken, or anyone around (the "peanut gallery")?
    Last edited by Rivington; 9/29/2012 12:22am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 10:18am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sort of like the demo2 video, but at least with this particular video, we're teaching similar skills -- pi chuan used as a paring technique against the punch, lateral movement to get out of the line of fire, and follow-up. It's a good lesson.

Gary, I don't think you did yourself any favors for attacking someone who -- for some reason -- threatens you. I don't see us as competitors but obviously you do.

I was minding my own business last night and saw this just before bed. I didn't even catch the slap at the uniforms. Seriously, dude? I like it when CXW or CXX or any of the other masters wear uniforms on their DVDs -- and they generally do. Is this some MMA-era testosterone thing where it can't be serious if you wear a uniform? That's stupid. Plus, my students rarely wear sashes and I don't, either -- we sometimes do on videos but not always. If we were worried about status, sashes would be required.

I just wear uniforms because they look cool, and isn't that one reason we were all attracted to martial arts -- because they're cool?

Settle down, Beavis.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 10:31am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kengullette View Post
    I sort of like the demo2 video, but at least with this particular video, we're teaching similar skills -- pi chuan used as a paring technique against the punch, lateral movement to get out of the line of fire, and follow-up. It's a good lesson.

Gary, I don't think you did yourself any favors for attacking someone who -- for some reason -- threatens you. I don't see us as competitors but obviously you do.

I was minding my own business last night and saw this just before bed. I didn't even catch the slap at the uniforms. Seriously, dude? I like it when CXW or CXX or any of the other masters wear uniforms on their DVDs -- and they generally do. Is this some MMA-era testosterone thing where it can't be serious if you wear a uniform? That's stupid. Plus, my students rarely wear sashes and I don't, either -- we sometimes do on videos but not always. If we were worried about status, sashes would be required.

I just wear uniforms because they look cool, and isn't that one reason we were all attracted to martial arts -- because they're cool?

Settle down, Beavis.
    Really? You had to drag MMA into the argument, when the dude does Tai Chi? CMAers never cease to amaze me with their poor attitudes and crappy comments. He leveled TWO passive aggressive challenges in this thread. No, CMA preached "unity" and always talked **** about other arts. Yes, just like the " MMA-era testosterone thing where it can't be serious if you wear a uniform."

I know you don't like his attitude, but why stoop to insulting MMA?

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope this ends in a thrilling gong sau battle of single-handed tui shou and an "I would have/no, I would have" contest. They can meet halfway between Silvis, IL and Oklahoma City—Kansas City!—and I can try the ribs!

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who did Gary Romel study with to get all the information that he then transformed into his uber excellent system?

I remember buying some Marcus Brinkman Bagua material from him a while back. I found this link to an old site http://whois.domaintools.com/gaostylebagua.com. He was in business with Marcus and lists him as the owner/registrant of the old site. Being that he is not selling Marcus' material any longer usually means something has happened and there is not association any longer.

Gary also has made claims to being an Erle Montague student. I can add more to the links and have read some rather damning information on Tim Cartmells site here about Gary and his rantings. http://www.shenwu.com/discus/messages/21/440.html

Seems he makes huge claims but being a little skinny stick of a man, I bet my money he could not back them up.

Moutherboxers suck.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 10:49am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I was thinking about you when he first posted "mouth-boxing." I was waiting for one of the few posters who can use that phrase and it means something.

Oh, yes, I found those very interesting earlier threads as well. There are quite a few and an ever shifting bio over the last few years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 10:53am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My bad. I think I was trying to say "young." I didn't intend to insult MMA as an art. I said "MMA-era," which is a reference to a time period, similar to describing the "Bruce Lee Craze era" which was an era of martial arts explosion in the U.S. In the MMA era, traditional arts are dying off -- sometimes for good reasons and sometimes because a more testosterone-driven art has gotten the interest of young guys who enjoy seeing the violence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 10:56am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    I hope this ends in a thrilling gong sau battle of single-handed tui shou and an "I would have/no, I would have" contest. They can meet halfway between Silvis, IL and Oklahoma City—Kansas City!—and I can try the ribs!
    Very funny. I'll have some ribs, too. If I'm going to Kansas City, I'm spending the time training with Chen Houxian. :)
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast