Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 10:00pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRomel View Post
    What I have found however is the the internal arts are more fluid than others, can be more powerful, as well as more efficient ect. IF trained properly, and this is a big if.
    NO.

And that is a very big no.

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 10:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know **** about this so correct me if I am completely wrong here but isn't this statement
    Well, I know exactly what I'm looking at. Ken looks like he has the basics of the body movement down pat. However, he clearly lacks understanding of the actual process behind the power, he believes in the magical power of Chi, and is using ancient metaphors alone.
    In direct contradiction of this comment?

Quote Originally Posted by kengullette View Post
    The body mechanics I describe are not taught very much in America because they weren't understood until the past 15 years or so. And when internal artists began discovering "real" internal mechanics, a lot of people got angry because it wasn't mystical and they refused to listen.
    Or is Chi =/= mysticism?
    Last edited by goodlun; 9/28/2012 10:17pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 10:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...and that is why this thread is now in YMAS.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 10:18pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be careful, he is more pretentious than your early posts.

Perhaps you could point out the name of the fallacy and explain, otherwise it's conclusionary nonsense. I have a degree in law and have studied formal logic. If there is a fallacy I'm perfectly willing to admit and explain...just use your analysis and not skip to your opinion based on very little information.

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 10:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So just for my sanity sake that does mean that those two statements are indeed contradictory?

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 10:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. Basically, that and his hypocrisy is why I jumped his ****. He studied formal logic, but can't read well enough to see the guy says he doesn't believe in chi as mysticism.

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 10:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    He studied formal logic,
    He also seem to love the "appeal to authority" logical fallacy

I do have my doubts about the degree for several reasons
    As you can see in the photo he is an E4
    http://www.flowingcombat.net/index.php
    Certainly he could have gotten his degree after being taught the deadly H2H that AWACS personel learn.
    However even with the GI Bill he still would have wracked up quite a bit of student debt studying Law.
    Instead of going into Law to pay off these debts he decided to teach the deadly H2H he learned in the Air Force.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 10:40pm

Style: chen tai chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gary,
    I Googled you and tried to learn what it is that makes you qualified to critique me. I couldn't find it, despite a review by a student who talks about all the different arts you have mastered. I couldn't find videos of your taiji, either. I'd love to see you perform sometime so I could return the favor. :) Post a video for us, or give me a link.

And to answer your questions -- I was in a lot of fights growing up, but I haven't been in a real fight since high school other than a full-contact match in the Toughman Contest that I won back in 1991. I don't like hurting people and I don't like getting hurt. That's not why I study the arts. I love the fighting applications and have been in enough competitions (and fights as a youngster) that I understand what it takes to remain cool under pressure, use strategy and timing and be able to take a punch or kick.

I don't plan on ever being in a real fight. I'll be 60 on my next birthday. But if someone attacked me or someone I loved, I am confident I could do okay. In the end, staying out of that situation is one of the reasons we train, isn't it? Maybe you have a different philosophy.

Ken

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 10:47pm

Style: chen tai chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Gary might misunderstand the meaning of the term "double-weighted."

It doesn't mean having equal weight on both feet. It means being in a position where you can't defend yourself -- when your opponent has you in a vulnerable position from which you can't respond and counter or neutralize their force.

Chen Xiaowang taught me that, and one of his disciples also backed it up with instruction on the finer points. :) He says most people don't use the term double weighted properly.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2012 11:20pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    He also seem to love the "appeal to authority" logical fallacy
    Oops. There are actually two in that sentence about his credentials. You got one right can you guess what the other one would be?

I do have my doubts about the degree for several reasons
    As you can see in the photo he is an E4
    http://www.flowingcombat.net/index.php
    Certainly he could have gotten his degree after being taught the deadly H2H that AWACS personel learn.
    However even with the GI Bill he still would have wracked up quite a bit of student debt studying Law.
    Instead of going into Law to pay off these debts he decided to teach the deadly H2H he learned in the Air Force.
    I'm not going that far, but I would like to know if he has a Jurus Doctorate
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast