Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    pressure points and dim mak are the same thing. So I cannot wait for the next slew of insults from him. Love his hypocritical views, seems he is right in line with the law degree.

Little stick is his new nickname.
    Then Littlestick will turn pressure points into nerve strikes..

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 10:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://internalarts.typepad.com/ken_...rnal-arts.html
    A teacher I've never met started dissing me on an online martial arts forum a few days ago. One of the things he criticized was wearing a Tai Chi or Kung-Fu uniform in my videos -- Chinese pajamas I think he put it. That showed him I'm not serious about using Taiji, Hsing-I or Bagua for real self-defense.

That was news to me.

By the way -- I don't always wear a uniform for practice. Sometimes I wear a Bruce Lee t-shirt. Sometimes a "Chillin' With My Peeps" t-shirt. Sometimes I wear a sweatshirt if the weather is cold.

But if I'm doing a video I'll wear a uniform.

For one thing, it looks more "professional." I don't want to appear like all the backyard masters who you see on YouTube.
    CXX Push 3
    If people who wear uniforms are not serious martial artists, I shouldn't have let Chen Xiaoxing take me to the ground.
    For another thing, I've always thought a uniform is cool, and isn't that why a lot of us got into the martial arts -- to learn self-defense and because it's cool? :) And, of course, to attract chicks.

It's interesting how people run across your website or blog and -- if they have a website -- they see you as competition so they have to run you down. He asked if I had ever used my arts to save my own life?

Well, no, I've managed to avoid those situations since I got out of college, or I've managed to talk angry people down. But I've had students who have used these arts for real, including a cop who took down some violent criminals with Hsing-I, a 15-year old boy whose stepfather got drunk and tried to beat him up, and a student who was attacked at a bar.

They weren't wearing uniforms at the time. :)
    Closing3
    Uniforms are not required in my practices.

In fact, my students are not required to wear uniforms. They aren't even required to own a uniform. They really only need one to perform in a tournament. I usually ask those who have uniforms to wear them for videos, but you'll see some of my DVDs and many online videos that have students in them (and me) without uniforms. It really isn't that big a deal, is it?

This same teacher said that a uniform promotes division and is a symbol of ego. To wear one, he implies, is a sign you're out for status.

See the first pictures at the top of this post? The next time I see Chen Bing or Chen Xiaoxing, I'm going to complain to them that they obviously can't use their arts for self-defense, and they are egotists promoting a division among students.

And then I'm going to tell them my name is Gary Romel. :) Heh heh.

When I buy a DVD from an instructor that I admire -- one of the Chen practitioners, Mike Patterson, or other good internal teachers -- I like it when they wear uniforms, but even if they didn't, their instruction would still be good.

What do you think? If I ever meet the teacher who wrote that stuff, should I wear my "I'm With Stupid" t-shirt instead of my uniform?
    LOL.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 7:16pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man this drama is fizzling out quick since Gary jumped ship

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 7:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He'll be back in another, uh, seven years. Deadlier than EVER.

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 8:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Flowing Combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    He'll be back in another, uh, seven years. Deadlier than EVER.
    So i read the first page of stuff... someone please summarize Flowing Combat for me, and has anyone ever trained with Gary?

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 12:24am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgizzle88 View Post
    So i read the first page of stuff... someone please summarize Flowing Combat for me, and has anyone ever trained with Gary?
    Flowing combat appears to be a series of CMA drills. He put up some new stuff in the past couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9XA...M&feature=plcp

It's pretty much the basic mediocre stuff you can find anywhere, except that it betrays less understanding of what he's supposed to be showing than one would hope. No surprise that the student is stiff-arming it like Frankenstein's Monster at nine minutes in.

(Hint: half this **** isn't for striking.)

Here's another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLGK...feature=relmfu

I have no idea how this stuff is "based on" the various internal CMAs—these are the drills, unreconstructed, just performed poorly. I have a feeling that Gary may have just learned from DVDs or other distance programs. There are no form videos. Is that what Flowing Combat is? The drills without the forms?

Oh, and then there's this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjx...g&feature=plcp

Some right-winger should project this against the wall of the local Planned Parenthood to keep women from going in. You know, "LOOK AT THIS ABORTION!!"

Why the does the second guy in the attack even fall over?

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 12:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, have no idea why the vids didn't embed right then. Ah well, they appear to still be clickable.

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 12:34am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well duh, it's the no touch dim mak chi blast to the temple. Note how he keeps the finger pointed in the direction of the blast for dramatic effect? That's how you know he's the real deal.

Two person "shoulder bump" attack scenario. Participants were throwing real punches, and were told to try and hit hard and fast.
    If those punches thrown by his students were real, or hard or fast or actually trying to hit something then that is the biggest indictment on his ability to instruct.
    Last edited by cualltaigh; 11/09/2012 12:44am at .
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 9:52am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me know when the illogical bomb explodes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 11:21am

Style: Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and then there's this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjx...g&feature=plcp

Some right-winger should project this against the wall of the local Planned Parenthood to keep women from going in. You know, "LOOK AT THIS ABORTION!!"

I think I just lost 5 years of my own training just watching that :(
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15 LastLast