Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2012 7:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, well sorry to be pedantic then. So many people mean so many things when one says "internal" that I try not to use it in any qualified remark (I'm perfectly comfortable calling yiquan, bagua, etc. "internal", but from my instructor to Bernie Langan to Kevin Menard to Tao He (my sample size is small), I've yet to see two folks from different schools who seem to actually be doing the same thing that they're all referring by this same term.). I'll be less pendantic forthwith. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 6:21pm

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I am late in responding. I got busy this week.

PatfromLogan- He is actually on the Big Island this weekend (9/14-16) probably right in your backyard. You can try to contact the guys at the numbers listed here- http://www.yiquanhawaii.com/classes.html

Vaquero- Master Han doesn't have a website himself, but if you read Chinese or Japanese you might try the links here- http://www.yiquanhawaii.com/yiquanlinks.html

He has like 500 students in Japan, including Hide Mitsuoka.

There are some videos of one of the Hawaii teachers, Glenn Paison, teaching a session in CA this May here- http://www.youtube.com/user/brownsatay?feature=watch

The 9 minute video here- , Glenn talks about the philosophy though there is a lot of context absent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 10:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, i forgot to mention with the video I posted before--ignore Glenn's awful attempts at pinyin in the second half.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2012 10:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rather than explosively accelerating one's mass towards an opponent and then braking using one's fist, a competent yiquan punch is direct expansion into the adversary, with very little net momentum built up. You'll very often see a little "pop" at the end of a yiquan guy's practice punches when there's no target: this can be indicative of someone practicing the transition from "connecting" to "expanding". At much higher levels than I ever achieved, this transition is seamless.
    An illustration (or an attempt to illustrate) in this video-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12