Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 4:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    You are 33 you could train for the ring if you wanted. Do both.

What is it with these 30 year olds who think they have one foot in the grave?

I'll do both.That is not the question. Just wondering for how long. Like i said to erezb, i think i will go judo until i get my shodan, then i might switch to BJJ. The thing is that i really want that shodan. I've all my competition points(that is needed here in canada to get the black belt). I would be pretty close to get it. May be a 2 or 3 years from now(I'm guessing).

But your are right, i shouldn't think too much and just go ahead.
    We only live once after all...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 5:56pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 37. I don't find boxing training to be particularly hard on the body at all. I'm currently training 6 days a week in Muay Thai, karate and sub grappling with no real ill effects.

I have, however, been a bit wary of joining a judo club due to the large amount of wear and tear my body's taken over the years. Same goes for wrestling. That might just be me being a soft twat though.

tl;dr: go for it. I don't think there's anything excessively straining on the body in boxing training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 8:51pm

Style: Ninjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say as long as you're supplementing your martial arts training with some type of weight lifting and stretching routine to keep the muscles strong and flexible as well as keeping your bones dense, you'll reduce your risk of injury.

Now the only other issue would be your joints but you could always take some pure glucosamine sulfate ( not the cheap sodium or kci versions ) each day and slow down/reverse some of the degeneration of your cartilage as well.

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 12:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    I'm 37. I don't find boxing training to be particularly hard on the body at all. I'm currently training 6 days a week in Muay Thai, karate and sub grappling with no real ill effects.

I have, however, been a bit wary of joining a judo club due to the large amount of wear and tear my body's taken over the years. Same goes for wrestling. That might just be me being a soft twat though.

tl;dr: go for it. I don't think there's anything excessively straining on the body in boxing training.
    Are you supplementing your training with some sort of weight training? I will be training judo twice a week + the boxing twice a week. Add to that the weight training twice a week. I will only have 1 day of rest. Of course, boxing is less demanding while its mostly cardio. Still, i wondering if its not to much.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or...

Try out MMA

Your judo will come in handy, and you will get the striking practice as well

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 10:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with everyone else for the most part. You can do it. No problem.

I will say this (and take it with a grain of salt because I haven't trained for a while) but I started taking injuries more personally after I was past my 20s.

I want to live a long time with as little pain as possible. That **** adds up. I'm not saying a desire to reduce injuries was THE reason I stopped training, but it was a contributing factor. I just got to the point where I felt better about pursuing physical activities that didn't send me to the emergency room a couple times a year.

Plus, regardless of the style I was training, self defense has alway been my primary motivation for martial arts training. That need decreased when I started carrying a firearm all the time. Just my perspective, for what it's worth.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/01/2012 12:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You think 33 is old? You need a reality check, my friend.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/01/2012 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    I nominate this as the platitude of the day.

Can I get a second?
    "A watched pot never boils."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 12:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 33 you are too old:

-for Bieber fever
    -for taking pouty duck face self portraits for your facebook profile picture
    -for getting a date for the senior prom
    -for making it on the Kenyan olympic marathon team
    -for growing a mullett
    -for trading Pokemon cards
    -for blowing off your Bio Chem homework so you can go to the Radiohead concert.

However, at 33 you are most definitely not too old for Judo and Boxing. Get to it man!

Posted On:
    10/11/2012 6:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thp View Post
    At 33 you are too old:

-for Bieber fever
    -for taking pouty duck face self portraits for your facebook profile picture
    -for getting a date for the senior prom
    -for making it on the Kenyan olympic marathon team
    -for growing a mullett
    -for trading Pokemon cards
    -for blowing off your Bio Chem homework so you can go to the Radiohead concert.

However, at 33 you are most definitely not too old for Judo and Boxing. Get to it man!
    Well, i disagree regarding the mullet...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast