Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post
    I just remembered head protection being worn during the stick fighting portion of a video I'd seen, and that made me think Bartitsu could slide by. Guess I forgot about the boxing. And dammit if that post doesn't (once more) have me wishing I could train Bartitsu, DdlR.
    Well, every school and club has its own approach, but everyone uses some form of head protection (fencing masks or padded helmets with face shields) for sparring. Even medium-contact might still be more than the OP wants to risk, though (?)

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeIRT View Post
    Thanks guys for replies, definitely going to check out Capoeira as it seem to focus on exactly what I need most: speed, flexibility, balance, coordination, and constant movement which should help my sluggishness. I also want to try and cross-train it with some of the basic techniques from other MAs, nothing fancy just fundamental moves, so something like Pankration looks interesting.

I'm in Los Angeles, do you guys know any good places for Capoeira or Pankration around there? If there isn't anything for Pankration, would it be a good idea to pick up some basics from an MMA gym/school?
    Pankration and MMA are full contact sports that involve grappling and in the latter head shots, is that what you are looking for?

Style
    JKD, BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Capoeira for a little while in 2007, a little in 2009, and the odd Rda or to afterwards (the Rda is a circle that practitioners make to play Capoeira in; it's analogous to sparring but they aren't the same thing). As other posters have mentioned, I think that Capoeira would fit in pretty well with your goals. However, I don't think it's really the best for developing combat skill. Sure, there are some good things you can take away from Capoeira (mobility, agility, deception, not getting hit, flexibility), but all in all there's better things you could do if you're just looking to learn how to fight and get fit/flexible in the meantime.

There is an element of violence in the Rda, but there's also an emphasis on dance, music, culture, showmanship, and a sort of weird but pretty cool set of customs that involves cooperation and tricking people into thinking you're cooperating when you really just want to kick them. There are also multiple styles of Capoeira, some of which involve close-range games at slow-to-medium speed with a higher risk of getting hit if you mess up, or really fast games with a higher percentage of jumping kicks at a long enough range that there's much lest risk of getting hit. I tended to prefer the former type of game - it just seems more intricate and artful to me.

As far as grappling goes, I'd recommend BJJ over Judo, Sambo, or wrestling, for no other reason than that it sounds like you don't want to get thrown on the ground too much.
    Last edited by Robdogg; 9/03/2012 5:49pm at .

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post

Getting speed or agility from most weapons based arts is unlikely. Flexibility is also questionable.
    The fact that you have any knowledge of a weapons based art is unlikely. Speed, flexibility and agility is the name of the game, nothing changes with weapons. The better shape the weapons fighter is in the more likely he will be to survive a situation. It has been discussed here already but it can be argued that weapons training increases hand speed. The OP specifically mentioned reaction time, weapons training will certainly improve that.

Where are you located MikeIRT? We could find you an FMA group.

Page 2 of 2 First 12