Style
    Brazilian JiuJitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eglin/Ft Walton Area BJJ

Hi everyone, new to the site. I am moving down to Eglin AFB, Florida in a couple of months and was wondering what the overall synopsis is on BJJ Academies in the area. I am having trouble finding one that I feel comfortable with. I have sent emails to various schools with no replies, please let me know what the best place to train is down there. Thank you all!

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LckiteSplit View Post
    Hi everyone, new to the site. I am moving down to Eglin AFB, Florida in a couple of months and was wondering what the overall synopsis is on BJJ Academies in the area. I am having trouble finding one that I feel comfortable with. I have sent emails to various schools with no replies, please let me know what the best place to train is down there. Thank you all!
    Please read the rules of the forums you post in. This is the investigative forum for frauds, McDojos and questionable Martial artists.

It is now in newbietown, so ask any questions in this area.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. Good luck with your search of a good gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LckiteSplit View Post
    It's not easy to find someone on these forums who trains the same art, in the same small town.

Most likely, the best answer you're going to get: sending emails is a way to ask about price, contracts, and the basics of the instructor's background; but not much else. You're just going to have to go try out different gyms when you get to town if you want to know which one has the feel you want.

Style
    FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've trained the same art in the same small town. It may be easier than you think to network here on bullshido; we're everywhere and we've got experts in any field you care to know about. I'm from the Gulf Breeze/Navarre area. In Ft. Walton and the whole area form Pensacola to Destin there is a strong military presence. This can be both good and bad for martial arts schools, There are a lot of guys willing to pay to train but many aren't around for the long haul. As a result a lot of schools open and close. When I was in the area I trained at Gracie Pensacola a BJJ school under Allen Hopkins. But since you asked about Ft. Walton you might be more interested in Capitao BJJ. I know they host an annual competition and their guys do well. I entered the competition one year and lost, I can post the vid if I need to. As far as shitty excuses go though; I was working and doing an internship 7 days a week and only able to train at 6am 2x a week so I feel I did okay seeing as how I managed to stay awake for the whole thing. The Pensacola GJJ school got a few wins but at the time the school was in an instructor transition phase so maybe P'Cola GJJ is doing better now. Either way Capitao is legit they offer BJJ and MT if I remember correctly as well as a few other disciplines. Check them out;http://capitaomma.com/.

Edit: also I know some FMA guys if you're interested but if you're looking for live sparring you're better with the BJJ schools or making the trip to train with Diesel and his instructor I think they FMA spar pretty regularly.
    Last edited by jspeedy; 8/31/2012 11:52pm at .

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What speedy said! Capitao is probably the best place to go in that area. I know people who have trained there and the instruction is top notch. If you want to drive to p'cola, look me up. I can direct you to the best spots over here.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Well, I've trained the same art in the same small town. It may be easier than you think to network here on bullshido; we're everywhere and we've got experts in any field you care to know about.
    Well then our new friend lucked out, because I've seen a lot of these threads come up empty. I wasn't meaning to suggest he shouldn't try beseeching the Bullies for their great wisdom and personal experience; just meant that either way, he's eventually going to have to go down to the school in person, check the place out, and decide for himself rather. So if you and Diesel hadn't shown up to save the day, that wouldn't have been a bad way to start.