--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

hi im iced and im a noob :)

hi im iced16 and im a noob:) nooby question what art would you choose to learn for self defense?

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iced16 View Post
    hi im iced16 and im a noob:) nooby question what art would you choose to learn for self defense?
    Well, this is the place for newbie questions. Plain and simple answer: Judo, boxing, or BJJ.
    With crosstraining in both Judo and boxing being ideal.

Style
    kenpo, Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Above answer is a great one. How old are you?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido ^^^^^^^what they said^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The truth to this answer depends on what it is your actually talking about for "self defense"
    Stopping Bullies is different then say walking the streets of Somalia, which of course is different then if you want to run your mouth in a bar, which is different then feeling like you can walk down say dark alleys.
    The ultimate answer is going to come down to doing an Art with Aliveness.
    Also Judo + Boxing

Style
    American Kenpo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say that muay thay ( its westernized version anyway) should not be underrated. I've only started training in it a month ago but a recent scrap outside the local youth house has shown me the value of using elbows and knees in a clinch. The club I go to seems to favour most aspects of boxing and then expanding upon them with muay thai techniques.

My personal feeling is: an alive form of kickboxing ( generic term refering to standing styles using arm and leg strikes) combined with an alive grappling style is ideal. There are too many miscreants out there who have actually trained in something, so expecting and taking leg strikes should be a given.

Check out your local MA scene, go to clubs. Browse around here to see what the usual red flags are for said clubs. Train yer arse off. Become strong as you can be. Train alive.

Recently, I've had the opportunity to try out a lot of styles. I bonded and networked when competing a small local competition. One of the best fighters there was a bloke from a Yoseikan Budo club. They had great fighters and a very alive mentality. Yoseikan Budo is an integrated style, combining karate, boxing, judo and aikido. Quite interesting, but any style fails if not trained "alive". I can honestly say that that bloke could have taken me down any given time.

So, again, browse your local MA scene. Aliveness and training are the keywords here, as there are no silver bullets techniques for keeping you safe ( whatever any Ninjer, Bujinkan prophet or shady Kenpoist might say to you) Combining Boxing and Judo is great. Just don't forget the kicks and expect to get hit. A lot... Best of luck.

Style
    Judo,JKD,Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Judo was HUGE in the eighties, but so were Ninjas. Judo is HUGE again so I'm guessing Ninjutsu will be HUGE again soon. So yeah, do Ninjutsu if you wanna learn REAL self defense. Oh yeah, don't forget to mix it with boxing.
    Last edited by Grab my fist; 9/01/2012 6:22am at .