Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 9:45am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    There was an interesting study done a few years ago that was mentioned in muscular development (I think, maybe another publication), where researchers gave subjects one of three beverages immediately following identical workouts:

1. Water
    2. Protein shake
    3. Protein/carb shake

All three test groups showed ample recovery, and even muscular strength gain with hypertrophy, with the protein/carb group showng a very slight, but statistically noticeable increase beyond the other two groups.
    If you could link it it would be great! Besides it is good to know that just water can be enough immediately after.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Protein Shakes immediatly after workout?

I will try to find it, but they tend to take them down relatively quickly.

They've also induced hypertrophy in rats while on a starvation diet, so while diet is ultra important, and the fuel that runs the machine, there are other powerful factors at play.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did a cursory "googling" and couldn't find it... I'll keep trying.

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 12:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nutrition student here.

Regarding the consumption of proteins to carb, what we are taught is you want a ratio of 4 carbs to every protein, caloric or gram wise. Chocolate milk is pretty close to a perfect drink for this.

Regarding the OP original question. What he is referring to is nutrient timing, taking certain nutrients at specific periods, pre, during and post-workout. Apparently, there is an advantage, building lean body mass and replenishing energy, to taking this carb-protein combination at these specific times.

I would follow the post workout drink with a balanced meal.

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 9:47pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disclaimer: The following post is mostly based on my personal experience, and not any sort of fancy research.

I experience my "best" results with shakes when I slowly sip them during and after my workout. You'll notice that I put "best" in quotations. This is due to a combination of factors.

1.) Gaining muscle has never been a problem for me. My body happily puts on mass, and seems indifferent as to whether that is muscle or fat. Sipping a shake that has no more than 12g of protein + some carbs seems to help with my recovery time, to the point that I can lift weights in the morning and feel good enough to do strenuous cardio in the afternoon 4-5 days a week. If I had time to eat a solid breakfast soon after working out, I expect the results would be similar. Unfortunately, I don't currently have time to split up my workouts, so I've started doing the RKC kettlebell program + 30-40 minutes of varying impact cardio 4-5 days a week. Running, swimming, and even elliptical workouts don't really jive with protein shakes, so I don't do that anymore. Instead I eat a small meal pre-workout (around 150-200 calories) and again post-workout (around 400-500 calories).

2.) Sipping the shake slowly, over the course of an hour to an hour and a half, seems to make my digestive tract the happiest. If I try to cram the shake in quickly after my workout, I usually end up not feeling great for the rest of the day, and often end up with irregular bowel movements. Whether that means an extra giant BM or lots of runny ones seems to depend on the day. Shitting and pissing out all the nutrients I just consumed does not really motivate me to work out again on any given day.

So that's a real epiphany. Following the advice of pretty much every single nutritionist/sports medicine professional on earth, e.g. consuming nutrients steadily over a long period of time, seems to work better for me than slamming them all at once. You're all shocked, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/28/2012 9:51pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345