Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/16/2012 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Just watch out that you don't pass Wind (Fart) on the Pyroclastic (I think that's the word I want) scale.

I have a student, who in recent weeks dealt such a fearsome fart that I almost had to call an evacuation of the effing building.
    Burning some incense keeps that problem at bay.

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 5:38pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Burning some incense keeps that problem at bay.

There could never have been enough incense. Both circumstances (in consecutive weeks) were, EPIC!

Good Lord...

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 7:36am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The chocolate milk thing is kinda BS.

For a start pre-made chocolate milks often contain: Corn Syrup/fructose and sugar both of which are going to spike your insuline levels and have a detrimental effect on fat burning and energy levels.

If your going to do it. I would suggest Full fat Milk with Pure (or at least 90% Cocoa powder) - followed by a small handful of nuts.

Not ideal for bodybuilders but If your looking to get stronger and recover better I would recommend a small amount of healthy fats with your protein.
    Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 10/24/2012 7:40am at .

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 10:23am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is i have enough of it of my own. I need something feeling, healthy and maybe not too fattening if possible.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    The chocolate milk thing is kinda BS.
    I think you should actually read the study before calling it "BS".

The research involved eight male runners in good physical shape who ate a balanced diet for two weeks. At the end of each week, they took a fast paced, 45-minute run.

Following each run, the men drank either 16 ounces of fat-free chocolate milk or 16 ounces of a carbohydrate-only sports beverage with the same number of calories.

Post-exercise muscle biopsies showed increased skeletal muscle protein synthesis -- a sign that muscles were better able to rebuild -- after the milk drink, compared with the carb-only beverage.

Additionally, drinking fat-free chocolate milk led to a higher concentration of glycogen, or muscle fuel, in muscles 30 and 60 minutes after exercise, compared with the sports drink.

Replenishing glycogen after exercise helps future performance, Lunn says.

The findings were presented at the American College of Sports Medicine conference in Baltimore this week.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/24/2012 11:40am at .

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a start pre-made chocolate milks often contain: Corn Syrup/fructose and sugar both of which are going to spike your insuline levels and have a detrimental effect on fat burning and energy levels.
    You do realise that fructose and sugar are kinda the same thing right? And that consuming either of them after a hard workout will result in them being used to replenish glycogen stores, and largely not being stored as fat?

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 3:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    You do realise that fructose and sugar are kinda the same thing right? And that consuming either of them after a hard workout will result in them being used to replenish glycogen stores, and largely not being stored as fat?
    Yup! I understand the idea.

Many of us wonder what to eat after a workout, and the answer is: It depends! It depends on what kind of workout you are doing, and what your goal is – fat loss, performance improvements, mass gain, etc. There’s a lot of information floating around about what is “best”, but most of it comes from the body-building community.(and is probably not that relevant to your average combat sports athlete)

*Sugar stimulates a physiological stressor-reaction cascade that provokes adrenaline and cortisol release and thickens the blood.

*Sugar decreases your body’s production of leptin, a hormone critical for appetite regulation.

*Sugar promotes fat storage and weight gain.

*Sugar disrupts the effective transfer of amino acids to muscle tissue.

*Sugar intake over time spurs insulin resistance, subsequent Type II diabetes.

This whole sugar after workout business is just bad pseudo science. I'm not trying to come across hostile on this but to be brutally honest I think its nothing short of fucking Bullshit.
    Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 10/25/2012 3:35am at .

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 3:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I think you should actually read the study before calling it "BS".
    Well pairing one shitting supplement against another is'nt going to show us much at all either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 3:54am

Style: Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a check on the chocolate milk in my fridge (Morrisson's own brand) last night, seemed healthy enough for what it is. Just semi-skimmed milk, cocoa powder and sugar. 78kcal/100ml. I can certainly think of worse ways to get calories back into the system after training.

Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    This whole sugar after workout business is just bad pseudo science. I'm not trying to come across hostile on this but to be brutally honest I think its nothing short of fucking Bullshit.
    bad pseudo science? really? what's the non "bad pseudo science" method of quickly replacing glycogen in muscles other than consuming short-chain hydrocarbons?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 5:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "sugar is poison" meme is what's pseudo-science, my friend. You do realise it all ends up as glucose anyway, right?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast