223555 Bullies, 4402 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 45
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. erezb is offline
    erezb's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,267

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 8:41am


     Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Protein Shakes immediatly after workout?

    Hi, i have a question about the importance of consuming proteins right after weight lifting. I see a lot of guys in my weight gym that pre-ready (is this a word?) a protein shake and consume it in the showers immediately after their workout. I asked a semi-body builder that tried boxing with us for a while what was it all about, and he said that if you don't consume your proteins 30 minutes tops after your exercise than don't bother..something about a time window with the metabolism of your muscles..
    I kinda doubt it, though there might be some small truth to the optimum time to take in protein after a work-out.
    Can anybody contribute some notion? I know no serious studies been done on the matter.
    Thenx in advance.
  2. daishi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    726

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 9:08am


     Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Hi, i have a question about the importance of consuming proteins right after weight lifting. I see a lot of guys in my weight gym that pre-ready (is this a word?) a protein shake and consume it in the showers immediately after their workout. I asked a semi-body builder that tried boxing with us for a while what was it all about, and he said that if you don't consume your proteins 30 minutes tops after your exercise than don't bother..something about a time window with the metabolism of your muscles..
    I kinda doubt it, though there might be some small truth to the optimum time to take in protein after a work-out.
    Can anybody contribute some notion? I know no serious studies been done on the matter.
    Thenx in advance.
    There have been several studies in this area, though I am not sure what your personal qualifier for the term "serious," or if they would qualify. Anyway, since I've started working out I've noticed the recommended protein consumption time continually get closer to the end of workout.

    As far as the guys who are proteining it up in the shower at the gym, you have to consider factors such as their commute home, what they are doing after the gym, or what other supplements they are taking. When I was "all-in" with supplements, I was taking both recovery drinks and protein immediately after workout. I would start drinking one of them during my last couple of sets. When you are taking two post-workout drinks...its really filling.

    There is more than just protein relating to post-recovery workout. You need to replace glycogen in your body, carbs, and other aminos in addition to fluids to replace everything your body spent and return it to proper regulation. This is why you often see people drinking chocolate milk immediately after really hard workouts.

    I just want to throw out that, these type of measures, are more for people who get in a hard workout. I mean like 45-60 minutes of intense training that is literally stripping your body of a lot of nutrients and regulatory chemicals. Pud-ing around the gym doing the occasional pulling on the occasional cable with 50lbs lbs of weight on it, taking a nap between sets, and generally doing casual workouts don't require such measures.

    Anyway, here is a link to a related article on Sports Medicine:

    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/n...a/aa081403.htm
  3. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    8,056

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 9:10am

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure it's a chocolate protein shake.

    Chocolate Milk Refuels Muscles After Workout

    Study Shows Carbohydrates and Protein in Chocolate Milk Help Muscles Recover From Exercise


    The combination of carbohydrates and protein in low-fat chocolate milk appears to be "just right" for refueling weary muscles, says William Lunn, PhD, an exercise scientist at the University of Connecticut.
    "It's not just a dessert item, but it's very healthy, especially for endurance athletes," Lunn tells WebMD.
  4. elipson is offline
    elipson's Avatar

    Ad Hominem rocks.

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,476

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 9:47am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of studies say that there is a big benefit from taking protean after or even during (peri-workout) during your workout, but the idea that its a waste of time if you miss that 30 minute window is idiotic.

    If you are trying to add real size, you should be eating all the time.
  5. JesusChrist is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 10:07am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    30 minutes after a workout is a guideline. If you gym will allow it you could sip a protein shake during the last half of your workout between sets.

    Also as a heads up don't drink too much chocolate milk in one sitting or it'll just flush through your system.
  6. erezb is offline
    erezb's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,267

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 10:22am


     Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    There have been several studies in this area, though I am not sure what your personal qualifier for the term "serious," or if they would qualify. Anyway, since I've started working out I've noticed the recommended protein consumption time continually get closer to the end of workout.

    As far as the guys who are proteining it up in the shower at the gym, you have to consider factors such as their commute home, what they are doing after the gym, or what other supplements they are taking. When I was "all-in" with supplements, I was taking both recovery drinks and protein immediately after workout. I would start drinking one of them during my last couple of sets. When you are taking two post-workout drinks...its really filling.

    There is more than just protein relating to post-recovery workout. You need to replace glycogen in your body, carbs, and other aminos in addition to fluids to replace everything your body spent and return it to proper regulation. This is why you often see people drinking chocolate milk immediately after really hard workouts.

    I just want to throw out that, these type of measures, are more for people who get in a hard workout. I mean like 45-60 minutes of intense training that is literally stripping your body of a lot of nutrients and regulatory chemicals. Pud-ing around the gym doing the occasional pulling on the occasional cable with 50lbs lbs of weight on it, taking a nap between sets, and generally doing casual workouts don't require such measures.

    Anyway, here is a link to a related article on Sports Medicine:

    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/n...a/aa081403.htm
    Thanx man, by a serious article/study i mean something that was published in a scientific journal with some scrutiny on the research (i am a researcher).
    When i work out, i work out properly, and probably harder than your average body builder, i do a lot of super sets, and i don't isolate muscles as much, i also incorporate cardio with my lifting, and in the end look like i fell into a puddle. I will read the paper, any recomendation by you for a "natural" supplements after boxing or lifting (already have protein powder, low carb), as i said i sweat profusily in training, and i think i loose a lot of those precious minerals..do you know of foods that are relatively non fattening and good to consume after?
  7. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,922

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 10:43am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Thanx man, by a serious article/study i mean something that was published in a scientific journal with some scrutiny on the research (i am a researcher).
    Check the sources at the end of the article. They contain the abstract and tell you where to find the research data.
  8. Mr. Machette is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,673

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 11:50am

    Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    There is more than just protein relating to post-recovery workout. You need to replace glycogen in your body, carbs, and other aminos in addition to fluids to replace everything your body spent and return it to proper regulation. This is why you often see people drinking chocolate milk immediately after really hard workouts.
    Sounds like a plate of spagetti loaded down with a ton of meat and extra vegetables in the sauce would be good post work out meal.

    Throw in some choclate milk and fruit.

    Great, now I'm hungry...
  9. daishi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    726

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 6:02pm


     Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Thanx man, by a serious article/study i mean something that was published in a scientific journal with some scrutiny on the research (i am a researcher).
    When i work out, i work out properly, and probably harder than your average body builder, i do a lot of super sets, and i don't isolate muscles as much, i also incorporate cardio with my lifting, and in the end look like i fell into a puddle. I will read the paper, any recomendation by you for a "natural" supplements after boxing or lifting (already have protein powder, low carb), as i said i sweat profusily in training, and i think i loose a lot of those precious minerals..do you know of foods that are relatively non fattening and good to consume after?
    That's good, then you definitely need to take care of your body after you workout. When I work out hard like that, my body practically tells me what it needs...say potassium, or electrolytes, protein, etc.

    I don't have any in-depth insight as to natural recovery fruits, but I will recommend you highly scrutinize any protein powder, or other supplement, you take. Some of that stuff has a lot of crap in it. If you are doing heavy cardio, or high impact repetitions, taking a really loaded down supplement may make you feel lethargic and overall unwell...like you just overate.
  10. elipson is offline
    elipson's Avatar

    Ad Hominem rocks.

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,476

    Posted On:
    8/31/2012 7:19pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bananas and protein shake w/cholocate milk.

    What are you fitness goals? That will really impact what kind of nutrition you should pursue.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.