Page 2 of 2 First 12
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    You reckon use of force by police is more about punching out the bad guy than about taking a suspect down and restraining them? I think you watch too many movies.
    I did mention that I would go on to learn BJJ as well (at Gracie Barra). I was always told that you should restrain suspects against vertical objects instead of the ground (firstly because it's China and it's dangerous to go to the ground there as it is populous enough that you will always have to stay alert in case the perp has friends around).

Anyways, I really want to learn Kali and Krav but I have yet to find a school in Vancouver that teaches Kali and Krav properly with good reviews (or reviews at all).

Does anyone have an opinion on Krav Maga BC, Premier West MMA (for Kali) or Tactix (for Kali too)?

Oh, and are there any especially recommended Muay Thai schools in my area?

Cheers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chinese cops are generally unarmed. If i only have a baton, I should learn how to use it. Striking would have to make up for lack of a firearm (alongside quick, smart thinking)

Sorry, it didnt let me edit an old post for some reason

Style
    Boxing, Judo, Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by silencerx View Post
    I did mention that I would go on to learn BJJ as well (at Gracie Barra). I was always told that you should restrain suspects against vertical objects instead of the ground
    Like pressing someone against the cage?

(firstly because it's China and it's dangerous to go to the ground there as it is populous enough that you will always have to stay alert in case the perp has friends around).
    Okay, you have a bit of a misconception: MMA is not all about going to the ground. There is also "wrestling in reverse" where you will see a guy like Chuck Liddell, who wants to KTFO his opponent, use his wresting skill set to keep the fight standing. That's what you need to think about, how do I stay standing? And if I go down, how do I get back to my feet again?

Both of these are questions that are answered in MMA.

Anyways, I really want to learn Kali and Krav but I have yet to find a school in Vancouver that teaches Kali and Krav properly with good reviews (or reviews at all).

Does anyone have an opinion on Krav Maga BC, Premier West MMA (for Kali) or Tactix (for Kali too)?

Oh, and are there any especially recommended Muay Thai schools in my area?

Cheers
    Listen, if you have a short list of schools like this, go try lessons at each. Make sure to see sparring (is it alive?) and then decide on when you best fit in.

//Chris

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont think I ever want to take anything to the ground there.
    What if the other guy wants it to go to the ground? You have no clue how to stop it. And you never will unless you train judo or wrestling or something where people competent at taking you down take you down.

Style
    Stabbing the Face.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chinese cops are generally unarmed. If i only have a baton, I should learn how to use it. Striking would have to make up for lack of a firearm (alongside quick, smart thinking)

Sorry, it didnt let me edit an old post for some reason
    1.) Which branch of the Police are you joining? I'm going to assume People's Police (uniformed patrol cop) because there are some branches of the Police in China that are given firearms. Violent crime is much less common in East Asia than it is here so if you are expected to regularly deal with perps, you will be given training.

2.) You will also be given weaponry, backup and most importantly, training (see above) by the Chinese police on how to handle matters related to your weapons and other issued kit. I suggest learning something like BJJ, Judo or Western wrestling, since these are common in your area and fistfighting criminals will likely just get you shot, bludgeoned or stabbed (but learning how to get up after getting knocked down is a handy skill to have). There are Sanshou clubs everywhere in back in China (and at least a couple folks in your precinct who can point you towards it) so you can learn that when you get back.

Style
    Stabbing the Face.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3.) And one last thing: What the **** are you doing bending over and taking it in the ass from your family? Do you even want to be a cop?

If you don't, man the **** up and do something else.
    Last edited by yli; 11/27/2012 1:23am at .

Page 2 of 2 First 12