Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 9:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

randori problems

I've noticed a couple things I'm doing consistently.

The first is my knees are too stiff. I move around with my knees almost perfectly straight. Any time I need to get down ill bend my waist or move my feet really wide.

The other problem (maybe related to the first one) is that for any forward throw I kind of skip the middle steps. I try to go straight from entry to finish. I'm basically jumping in butt first. So when I need close back to chest contact my torso is already down and away.

Would love any tips on how to fix these

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 11:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your knees are straight you probably aren't up on the balls of your feet when you need to be. You also should probably place your feet more carefully before you attempt a throw. Your probably aren't even watching where you put your feet.

You might consider listening to your instructor, who has probably given you advice already.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 5:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post

The first is my knees are too stiff. I move around with my knees almost perfectly straight. Any time I need to get down ill bend my waist or move my feet really wide.

The other problem (maybe related to the first one) is that for any forward throw I kind of skip the middle steps. I try to go straight from entry to finish. I'm basically jumping in butt first. So when I need close back to chest contact my torso is already down and away.

Uchikomis...lots and lots. Start slowly and precisely and pick up speed as you go.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 6:25am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    Uchikomis...lots and lots. Start slowly and precisely and pick up speed as you go.
    This +100000000.

Another suggestion to practice on your own is to get a tire inner tube and secure it to something sturdy. This will also help you with your entries. I have one wrapped around my wave master to practice with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    8/31/2012 7:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knees not bent enough? Balls of Feet?

I'll tell you what the problem is you guys are worrying about **** that's inconsequential.

Just relax.

Instructors making a big deal about trivial stuff like that are doing more harm than good.

Probably multi-causal, going in but first is probably a combination of your opponents stiff arming and you not having enough of a kuzushi action/ gi control. Timing also is playing a big part, but there's not much you can do about that because it's an experience thing.

What you need to do is get in lots and lots of quality uchikomi and even more importantly nagekomi. For the uchikomi I wouldn't concentrate so much on techniques, but rather on kuzushi drills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 2:18pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like doing Uchikomi alone. Just doing the foot movement until it's as natural as walking. After that feels comfortable, then work on the Kuzushi. Right now you're trying to focus on too many things at once. Step here, pull here, bend there, etc etc.

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 4:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...I'm basically jumping in butt first...
    Y'know, there are times (ogoshi from some angles, for instance), where using a flying-butt-slam to close range can be useful in breaking your adversary's spirit. Just sayin'...

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 10:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Y'know, there are times (ogoshi from some angles, for instance), where using a flying-butt-slam to close range can be useful in breaking your adversary's spirit. Just sayin'...
    Depending on how intimidating your ass is.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung