Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 3:13pm

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo master makes 10th degree black belt

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DD181KHUV0.DTL

After 98 years, the phone call finally came.

Last week, Sensei Keiko Fukuda of San Francisco became the first woman to be promoted to judo's highest level: 10th degree black belt.

Only three people in the world, all men living in Japan, have ever reached that mark.

The martial arts promotion by USA Judo brought 98-year-old Fukuda to tears at the women's dojo where she still teaches in Noe Valley. (Fukuda was the subject of a Chronicle Datebook profile on July 25.)

She gave up marriage and left her homeland to dedicate her life to judo, fighting gender discrimination that kept her at lower belt levels decades longer than men less skilled than she...
    Last edited by MAGIC HATE BALL; 8/06/2011 3:14pm at . Reason: Me no speel so good

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 3:16pm

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She's also the only living student of Jigoro Kano?! Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick.

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 3:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was discussed on JF a while back I think the upshot was she wasn't a student in the sense he personally instructed here up until black belt or some other 'qualifying' length of time, but she certainly took lessons from and or attended seminars run by Kano.

Her dad was one of his Jujutsu teachers and so he would have spent time with her at the family home etc...

She's probably justified in claiming to be the last living student of Kano, though.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so is that a usa judo promotion, a kodokan promotion or both?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 4:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USJI/ USA Judo, definitely not Kodokan. She's only been a Kodokan 9th dan for 5 years so she's not eligible for promotion to Kodokan 10th dan yet and as a woman she may never be...

The IJF's requirement is 10 years QBE/TIG as 9th dan and the Kodokan, well there are people who have been 9th dan for 18 years with no sign of promotion...

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 4:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    USJI/ USA Judo, definitely not Kodokan. She's only been a Kodokan 9th dan for 5 years so she's not eligible for promotion to Kodokan 10th dan yet and as a woman she may never be...
    yeah, that's my point, really
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 4:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the Kodokan is a private dojo, its not part of the AJJF or IJF so it can do what it likes, frankly.

So no matter how you feel about the treatment of women in Judo or discrimination against women or the personal and Judo qualities of Fukuda the Kodokan can promote who it likes under whatever criteria it likes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 6:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a cool story. Thanks for sharing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 6:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a pedantic note the original article is in error by stating that "Only three people in the world, all men living in Japan, have ever reached that mark."

Aside from Daigo, Abe and Ishikawa Henri Courtine, Jaap Nauwelaerts de Agé and George Kerr all hold 10th dan.

All that aside this is a phenomenal achievement (first female 10th dan in Judo?) congratulations to a ftrully worthy woman.

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 8:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Well the Kodokan is a private dojo, its not part of the AJJF or IJF so it can do what it likes, frankly.

So no matter how you feel about the treatment of women in Judo or discrimination against women or the personal and Judo qualities of Fukuda the Kodokan can promote who it likes under whatever criteria it likes.
    i never said i disagreed with them, i just think it's worth noting that there are several organizations for judo ranking, and that there are people who feel that kodokan rank carries more weight, especially at the highest levels.

not really making an argument for or against their policies, i'm just glad they let me step on the mat with them.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast